Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love Costa Rica...where in Costa Rica.. I'll move in a heart beat

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

about an hour and a half north of San Jose--her husband is a dub master at a hotel in San Jose 2 weeks on 2 weeks off

she is originally from indianapolis--and does lots of hot sauces + organic kahlua at local markets

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

We have some very tall very white and fluffy looking clouds to the north of us. I hope to heck it rains.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It was still 100 degrees at 8pm. Ugh! Rain clouds about 15 miles away and heading the wrong direction. Double ugh! Better chance tomorrow.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I never thought 92F felt so cool! it's thundering and lighting ..saw it rain out the office window about a mile off, but it stopped...the radar shows it moving off to the west, but still building..I think we'll all get some before the end of thursday in Houston area

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

You know what I really miss about Idaho is that forty degree drop in temp every day when the sun sets. I used to love going out into the garden at 5 am, wearing a flannel shirt because it was too cool to be without.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I miss Lucky Peak, and fishing in the Payette river

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I try not to let myself miss it too much cause this is my home now and there are many fine things about Texas.

I try not to be homesick. lol

All we got last night was a pretty spectacular lightning show.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2009 6:49 AM

Grapeland, TX

we got 1/4 inch yesterday afternoon! the first rain in weeks...not much...but it was sure nice to watch it while it lasted.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Christi....I think Patty pbtxlady did that, check with her. She was encouraging me to do it before, but I didn't listen well.

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Been under the weather for a long spell now and just crawled out from under my rock after the dry thunderstorms passed last night. Such bliss!!

Ann

Southlake, TX(Zone 8a)

Lou,

As for soakers on sprinkler heads, we did something like that. BUT NOTE - where ever you convert one you have to convert all of htem on the same zone. I am lucky that my DH is handy. We installed our own sprinkler system and designed it fro the gardens and future areas. For our veggies, we installed the line and then instead of attaching a heads, we attached spigots. Depending on the area, we then attched a multi head spigot. THe tomatoes, peppers, cukes are rowed out in 4 rows, so there is a four head spigot, each with its own turn off valve. From each individual spigot he cut hose and created a specific length to the row. then it is attached to a standard soaker hose that weave around hte plants. Since they are on their own zone, I can manage the time better and since each as its own on/off vavle, I can turn a row off or relegate the amount of water to the soaker.

I hope this makes sense.

Lizzy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hope you are on the road to recovery plantlady!

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Thx, Sheila!

Ann

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Sad news on triple digit + occasional near triple digit front. In San Antonio, two elderly sisters were found dead in their home this week. It is believed to be heat-related as they apparently felt they were too poor to afford to use the A/C or even fans. I feel so bad for them. I hope others trying to tough it out and suffering a lot from the heat will reach out and try to get some help.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That is sad to know it happens, but it does. All the aid in the world does no good unless someone asks for it.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

PC went down and have just replaced it. Thanks a lot for all the info on the soaker system. My next door neighbor is converting part of his and I am letting him make all the mistakes first. hahahaha Going to re-read the posts and hope I can learn something. Not exactly good a plumbing type stuff.

Christi

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, after much deliberation, we decided to go with Netafim drip line after all. Hooked it up to one riser on the zone using the RainBird retro head that has pressure regulator and screen. Removed all other spray heads in that zone and installed 6 or 8-inch threaded riser and then screw on cap just in case in the future we would ever need to change. It is working great. Some tweaking on time will be necessary but we are very happy with what we have. Arms are really sore from inserting the barbed T's into the tubing and knees will need a few days to recouperate. The hardest part was getting our "senior brains" to understand the charts and lingo but DH and I are rather proud of our project.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Congratulations, DNP!

Once we installed ours we were sorry we had let ourselves be intimidated so long. It's great watering and it sure saves on water!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey,Pet....we are not too far up the road from you...about 40 miles. Now that you have all the experience you could just come by and supervise our installation. I don't know if I could stand up to learning the new iMac at the same time as installing a new irrigation system. Where did you finally buy the conversion system?

Christi

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Got back yesterday from a trip to Michigan (5 days) - never got over 67 degrees - landed in Houston,....stepped out into 103 degrees.......thought about hijacking the plane back to Michigan - just kidding.....at least we got some rain this mornig at 4am and again at 6am
whew! Thank goodness for that little bit!

This message was edited Jul 7, 2009 9:48 AM

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm leaving for Sweden next week. I so look forward to the morning temps of 50 and not getting over 80. I can take long miles long walks each morning and never get too hot. I love it!

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Still pulling that hose around this morning! We did get to see a little rain...went into San Antonio yesterday for groceries and they were still getting a little. A nice trip to somewhere cool & green would be nice. I hope the tourists in S.A. haven't been passing out too much the last few weeks.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

what part of Mi?? travese city area???. I lived in the lower half of the state for 25 yrs and loved it even in the winter!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

We flew to Grand Rapids....drove to Ludington....stayed a couple of days, then drove across to Lexington - Port Huron area for a few days.
We have friends that live on the shoreline of Lake Huron (lucky dogs!)....we enjoyed the 3rd & 4th watching fireworks each night,...and some water
sports/beachcombing during the day. I could understand why you'd love it....it's a beautiful state! We DID discuss the potential of moving there in the future.....we loved it that much....would have to experience a winter...to be sure! (smile)

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

I love Ludington and Sleeping bear dunes!!! I did the Ludington art show for many years. Lake Huron is nice but my favs are Superior and Michigan. The Great Lakes are also known as the Inland Seas. In many cases a storm on them is a lot worse than one on the open sea. If you ever get the chance you need to head up to the UP and see the sites there. The Porkies ( pourquine mts) are fabulous. I spent many an hr on the beaches of Lake Michigan collecting rocks and driftwood. The area along South Haven and Sagatuck area(west coast of the state, Lk Mi) have great weather for growing things.. I used to go to all the little local greenhouses along the coast in the spring. In the winter wed go ice climbing out to where there was open water on Lake Mi Looking back it wasnt so smart but it sure was fun! Winter can be a PITA but you just have to have the attitude your not going to stay inside.. dress for the weather and youre good to go. Winters havent been as bad as they used to be above grand rapids it can get bad cause of the lake effect snow.The bad part is the lake of sunshine in the winter, its cloudy and grey a lot and can be hard to get used to.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 9:12 PM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I collected at least 9 pounds of pebbles/rocks on the Huron shore....I say at least 9 lbs because our suitcase was that much overweight on our return flight....and we were goin' to be charged an additional $50 because of it....fortunately,....our traveling companion had an underweight bag....so I transfered $50 worth of souvenir debris to his bag (smile)

We rec'd about an inch of rain yesterday @ 3:00pm.....the temp dropped from 102 to 84 in about 30 mins....ALL my plants, trees and other vegetation let out a chorus of sighs....we're expecting another 3 digit temp today C'mon October!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Bet that was an interesting site in the middle of the airport. LOL!! Moving rocks from one bag to another, could draw a few odd looks.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Surprised security let you through with all the paranoia these days. Might be afraid you would "stone" someone. hahaha

I am a rock collector.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

(smile) yeah,....there were some curious folks watchin' as I made the transfer....

Oh,....I didn't carry them on....we checked that suitcase at the counter......still cost $15....for what use to be free.....I'd prefer they just charge $15 more for the ticket and not present it that way.......oh well!

LouC.......that makes at least 3 of us.....(rock collectors)..........I am a collector/gatherer of many different things of the natural world....as well as other things. I've done so from an early age.....but my last name is "garner",....what can I say?

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

I checked with the guy across the street that installs sprinkler systems and he told me we have too much hard water to use a drip system because it would clog up with the deposits quickly. It does leave nasty deposits on every surface it touches. Was very disappointed since I have so many potted tropicals and am very tired of dragging the hose around. I think I will put up more shade cloth on the green house and try a misting system in there. I built it mainly for winter use. If that doesn't work I'm going to dig some trenches to drop my pots into and cover them with mulch and a soaker hose, lol. It rains all around us and never makes it here. Its only rained about 5 times since January and the triple digits are making me wilt like the plants.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Yep, we have hard water here too, but I think it would only clog the emitter heads, so we bought some extra to just swap out. I hope.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I would think the cost of replacing emitters would be much less painfull than watching your plants die.

Or watching me die watering the plants, lol.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

If you check prices in HD or Lowes they are really cheap. A lot less than I used to spend on sprinklers and hoses every year, not to mention Advil from hauling hoses around!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sheila, Have you converted to drip hose on your sprinkler heads?

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Yesterday, we completed retrofitting our second pop-up spray zone to Netafim. This zone was more complicated than the first one we did. Seemed like we dug up half the yard trying to find where the original installation went under the sidewalk from one side of front yard to the other. Had to do this to change 5 pop-up spray heads in grass to a different zone. Was so relieved when it actually worked when we turned it on after cutting and capping things in a few places.

RainBird Retro head that we used to change spray riser to connect drip line is at the bottom of the attached photo. Still have to figure out what type of box I can use to cover it but for now I'm just thrilled that it is functioning.

It was really a treat to be able to just deadhead and talk to my daisies and roses this morning and not have to drag a water hose around. Hallelujah!!!

DNP

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I love mine. Congratulations!

I am going to have to do something soon myself. Its taking me all day just to water and haven't even gotten around to much weeding. It looks like a jungle in one of the beds. Check the plumbing section at the hardware store. I tapped into my main line this spring to run a water line to the greenhouse and got a black box that fits in the ground to cover the shut off and keep dirt out of it. I can just lift it off if I need to access it.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Christi....No we haven't converted yet, but we did look at the possibility and it will be easy to do. I don't think I will do it all over yet, just on the beds where the foliage is so high or places where it needs more water in the real sunny locations. We have changed out a lot of the risers and moved some of the heads as we added beds.

One thing we found really helpful was looking back at pictures we had taken during the sprinkler installation. It looked usless at the time just seeing this road map of trenches, but it has saved us some headaches.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.