Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah, smart move. If I see something being done and take pics it helps me remember how later. Hubby did that with his boat engine and totally rebuilt it but had to look at the pics to see what order it went back together and which things ran to what, Worked great, lol. I managed to get my mist system up and I will never do another one of those unless the little spray things are already attached. My fingers are sore from shoving all those things together and into the tubing.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
One thing we found really helpful was looking back at pictures we had taken during the sprinkler installation

If we had photos of the open trenches of original "professional" sprinkler installation, could have done the retrofit job in half the time. A few years ago, the technician from the company that did our original installation spent more than an hour, at $65 per hour, using an instrument just to locate zone boxes, etc., so I started taking photos of any repair job done to our system. For measurements from hard surfaces like sidewalk, I include a tape measure with big numbers closeup to see numbers. I print the photos, put them in a notebook and add my notes right then because some of my earlier photos we didn't do that and they don't make sense to my "senior" memory after a couple of years.

DNP

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes...we always think we will remember where we planted that plant too. LOL!

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

The drought has been so bad there is no way to describe it...no mere words can do it justice. The drought and the heat are breaking records all the time. I never want to see this again. On the good side, the mosquitos seem to be gone lately...never thought I'd ever see that ever happen in the summer. Strangely enough we had a very brief sprinkle on Saturday night. It did wet just the very surface of the ground. There wasn't even a chance of precipitation in the forecast. Wish we could see about a thousand times that much!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Two good things. The high pressure is supposed to split this weekend which may let a weak cold front in sometime Friday night to Saturday. Rain chances may increase.

The most important thing is that the weather predictions for October-mid summer next year are much wetter than normal. The jetstream is heading our way due to El Nino and should stablize us by mid-August to September and then change us to a above average wet and cool pattern by October.

So just hang on desperately to what plants you have left for 1-2 months.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

and I know we're on the good side of it over if there's such thing...but I'm over it.
I try not to whine too much in this weeks blog about it.

"The Ides of July"
http://www.chron.com/channel/houstongardening/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=rjudd&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=rjudd&plckPostId=Blog%3arjuddPost%3a5d990af5-4120-4d21-abfc-31608c03825d&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

I know this weather is a pain in the plant but Texas gets this from time to time. It hasn't been this bad for a few years but it does happen. So does too much rain. So as the saying goes "if you don't like the weather, just wait......"

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Today in Dallas it was only 105 with the weatherman saying it really feels like 110. I believe that. My garden is suffering even though my water bill will be tremendous. Last time to try a veggie garden. Just at about time to produce...105 and everything is dried on the vine. Lots and lots of work for nothing.

Randy, my sentiments exactly on your blog.

PK

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

It's been terribly hot here....over 103 most days. I did notice the cenizas were blooming all over town the last couple of days...and out toward the hill country. I mean lots of blooms...huge! My DH always makes fun of me when I point the blooms out....but within a week we always have rain...always. And I win the bet.....always! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Our grass is crunchy.....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm hoping we have at least a nice long warm winter to make up for being gyped this summer.
Hi Bubbles, miss you!

Dallas, TX

BigBubbles, I am laughing at you saying your grass is crunchy. lol The lawn man came buy yesterday and asked me if I wanted to cut the grass ... I said H - - - no, let it burn up, it will come back in september. I know they think I am crazy, but the only thing I care about is my Hosta garden in the back. I have the timed drip irrigation back there. It is set up to come on at 7am and 7pm and runs for one hour. I do have some hostas in pots, in the fall everything is going in the ground because sometime I forget to water the pots. I sure hate to see my water bill, it always about 200 dollars this time of year.... and on top of all this I got a cat with diabetes that get two insulin shots a day. Mercy, everything I love is expensive!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Official in DeSoto was 107 yesterday and today's prediction is the same. Everything is dormant as though it were winter. Plus it is burned crispy. May have to cut the grocery bill to pay water and electricity.

Christi

At least you have choices like that! I saw on TV that most of Kendall Co. (Cow Creek water district) is in Stage 5 water restrictions. And they were considering Stage 6...decided not to for now. They interviewed someone who said their whole landscape will be dead shortly. I don't even know what Stage 5 or 6 rules are. But obviously another case of government allowing development for many decades where there should be absolutely NO development for lack of adequate water sources. I heard they also have trouble with companies/areas which have stubbornly resisted getting well permits, which allows the district to set water use limits on them...apparently the state hasn't put enough "teeth" in the laws. Just glad I don't live in that district. Stage 2 is bad enough.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Collin County is on the north side of Dallas County and that is where the bulk of the development has been. Big fight with East Texas because they think it would be perfectly fine to build a dam and flood everyone out so "they" could have water. As you say, should have thought of that first. MIL lives on the waterfront of Lake Tawakoni. Most of the people have not had their boats in the water for 2 years because they built a monster pipe line from Tawakoni to Lake Lavon to keep up with development and drained Tawakoni. It is 102 for now but the day is not over. Whenever the temps are above body temperature it is unbearable and very dangerous. I feel for those that must work in the heat for a job.

DBF works in a machine shop. The machines that he tends are closest to the foundry. He says it's nice in the winter, not so much right now though. He comes home just drained.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I thought I had turned into a vampire today. I walked outside and grimaced and covered my face. Nope! Just summer 2009. I am really suprised the news hasnt given it a cool name yet like "HEAT BLAST 09". Feel free to make up your own names.
How bout "SWEATY UNDIES 09"?
I am changing clothes twice a day.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL..yes me too....of course I water myself when I'm watering the plants.

Your right about the news...

Music....DA DA DA .....The Crunch Grass Drout continues with stage 99 water restrictions.
When will it end?! 44 percent say next week while 9 percent say never and the other percent just doesn't know. Stay tuned for Crunch Grass Drout continual coverage!

Denton, TX(Zone 8a)

I caught a thing on ABC news web site the other day of a video from their morning show and they had the hosts chatting and a five minute long article on how cool and gray it is in the Northeast. I kept waiting for them to talk about the rest of the country. Nope, it's as if all the national news cared about that day was how they couldn't picnic on the New Jersey beachs. The rest of us don't seem to exist for those network news editors, I guess.

Everything is shriveling. Some plants are requiring water every day.

I can't wait to see the next electric bill. The last one wasn't too bad. We're trying to fight it by letting it get a bit warmer in the house during the day.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

us too. When I wake up, the temp gets put to 79F, afternoon goes to 81F, and at 9:30pm gets set back to 77F. Thank goodness the electric rates are much better than last summer.

OMG, you have highs of 82?!!! Put a fan outside and point it west! Haven't seen highs like that in a long time. Could use the "cool and gray" in the northeast, too! Next time those people on TV are complaining, hope the network sends them here to experience the summer from h-ll. Then send them out to cover the outdoor stories, 10a.m. to 8p.m., in a vehicle with broken a/c! Heh heh heh! Oh, I'm mean, aren't I? I'm afraid when my two grandchildren get to come to town this summer, there will be nothing outdoors anyone will want to do. Last year we went to the Guadalupe River...probably not a good idea this year.Well, maybe if we got up there by 8 a.m.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, that is the "inside" the house temperature.

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

I just got a $500 electric bill. Gonna be eating ramen noodles for while. Sigh... I feel so bad for those of you on water restriction. It might come to that here too and my neighbor runs his sprinklers day and night (waste of time). I have crunchy grass too. I posted a pic last summer of some of my plants and people up north asked me why my grass was brown. I said isn't it all brown everywhere? That was before the guy next door bought that house and kept it green. Makes mine look even worse, lol. Wish he wasn't so careful where he aims them and let a little run downhill into my yard, lol. My hubby is a mechanic and it was soooo hot in his bay he couldn't work. Had to get him a big exhaust fan to put in the wall to pull out the hot air so its better but I still don't know how he works in the heat. I almost passed out watering the plants this morning, lol. He has been doing specials on a/c work because he feels sorry for the customers with no a/c, lol. Thats why I married him, he is a sweetie. He is burning up but worrying about other people being hot, lol. It makes him mad that they get such high estimates from other shops and he can usually fix them for hundreds less. Lots of happy cool people here thanks to him.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

The best thing to come along for utility bills is balanced billing in my opinion. We still keep a watchful eye on the thermostat and inside temps.

However it helps us to maintain a reasonable utility level in the budget each month, and not get those summertime blues of high spiking electric bills.

As a boat owner, I do understand the many lakes around Dallas were built specifically for water retention and usage, not for our recreation. Tawakoni is the perfect example of water rights over recreation.

Until the last few years, property owners there had it good, and the lake level remained fairly constant. The drought of 2006 changed all that. Lakes Lavon and Hubbard also have power plants that require a certain level for cooling purposes. so Tawakoni is always siphoned first.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The pipes they installed from Tawakoni were large enough to drive a car through and still have room.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Big Bubbles---Please tell me more about this plant that can predict rain, cenizas , and how?

I must get one or more for the yard.

Pam

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Today is the 8th day in a row of above 100 temps here in northeast Texas (and tomorrow will be #9). We "normally" have 16 days of above-100 temps during the summer, and today is day #16. Luckily we're not under water restrictions this year, so I've been able to keep the plants alive. And we're not under a drought, like we were a few years ago. I don't mind the heat so much -- I mean, it is summer and it is Texas -- but the monotony of it does get to be draining.

Carla

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I think we are at 26 days over 100. They say we are on pace for over 50.

lee

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Cenizas - if it's the one I'm thinking of in S. TX, doesn't actually predict rain.

I may be wrong, but I recall it blooms a after a good summer rain when there's been an extended dry spell.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The other name for cenizo is TX Sage. I'm sure you've seen them all over.....maybe just didn't know what they were. Small bush, grey leaves. I had to drive up HWY 71 to Lake LBJ Friday and noticed them blooming. Then I watched for them all the way home and spotted lots more lavendar flowers.
You either believe it, or it's an Old Wives Tale........and I guess I qualify as an old wife....but no one better say it in front of me.... I have the rest of the week to prove the prediction.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Well.......some areas did get some brief showers in that area last week. There were several references from a search to lavender blooms after a rain. Here's one.

Purple Sage, Cenizo
Scrophulariaceae Leucophyllum frutescens

This gray leafed shrub, up to 8 feet tall, puts on a big show after a summer rain when the almost inch wide lavender flowers cover its foliage. It adds interest even when it is not in bloom because of the color of the evergreen leaves. The deer do not usually bother this plant. It needs full sun and should be well drained. Watch for blooms from May to October.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I believe we just cross posted. I was only answering Morganc's post from this morning. ..not disputing.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Bubbles---Whoo-hoo! I have two Texas Sage in our back yard. Both are blooming to beat the band-----But they are on a water system.

Yet I notice others in areas that don't get water are blooming too! YIPPEE!!!! Rain on the way!

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

According to some sources, Cenizos bloom in response to increased humidity, either after a rain or just before one. I'd like to see them bloom nonstop, just after a good rain and with another good rain on the way. Yeah, I know I live in the middle of Texas and it's July, but it's okay to dream!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I sure hope so.....my morning routine has been hand watering the spots the sprinklers don't reach enough. We're supposed to follow Austin's watering schedule, but we're on solid rock..... Twice a week is not enough.
DH just returned from IL and remarked how green and cool it was up there. Had to remind him we're still boating in Nov. here.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Working at CO headquarters we have lots of technology..and we are now tracking the cool front headed this way...looks like the swath is bigger than Texas, so hopefully we will all experience a little relief!

yeah, it's supposed to get to 98 here. brrrrrrr

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Now that is music to my ears!!!!!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm afraid of August

Denton, TX(Zone 8a)

We're supposed to get out of the triple digits this weekend! Woohoo! Saturday, "only" 92F. I'll be wearing my sweater. ;-)

I'll be glad to get one of those afternoon thunderstorms they say are going to be scattered around the area.

Whatever happened to those ol' convection storms that used to come in the mid afternoon and give us a cooling off...a mere respite before the sun came out and steamed us by dinnertime? We haven't seem to have had those over the last couple of years.

97 predicted here, don't think any change of attire will be needed, heat index should be high if humidity is bad. 20% chance here on Saturday. Everybody, prayers and rain dances (and any other rain-producing things) would be appropriate this weekend!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.