New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

I know this was an oldie, but due to our weather, I thought it worthy of posting in the "Heat" thread. An old friend sent it to me today. I think most of us, even the natives, can appreciate this one.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I am an "oldie" but had never seen it before, too funny, thanks Annette!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

I'm having a difficult time myself accepting this current Texas experience. I just never wanted to live in the ultrahot desert land! Hill Country, yes. Desert, no. I keep telling myself this, too, will pass. Thanks for the laugh...even if it was part-grimace!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi y'all! Couldn't resist taking a peek at a thread entitled "Heat" seeing as I live in the desert myself! Too funny, and I can definitely relate . . .

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

I believe that it was William Tecumseh Sherman who said that if he owned both Texas and Hell that he would rather rent out Texas and live in Hell. Ah well his choice. lol I'll bet our gardens are prettier. lol

That was another union general of the Civil War era, Philip Henry Sheridan, known for his scorched earth campaigns in the South during the war. He was put in charge over Texas at the end of the war. Later removed by President Johnson, who said "His rule has, in fact, been one of absolute tyranny, without references to the principles of our government or the nature of our free institutions." So I wouldn't think much of his opinion of Texas.

I stand corrected. Close, but no cigar plant, lol.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

My brother asked me if we were in a drought the other day.
He had no clue that we havent received normal rainfall.
That is the difference between a gardener and a normal person. He is completely out of touch with nature.

OMG! Where does he live? No TV or newspaper?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

He is a 40 year old kid.

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

My mom asked me today if we EVER got rain. Every time she talks to me I am watching the weather channel saying come on Betsy you can make it down here, lol. It gets soooo dang close..... then poof its gone.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Tomorrow Austin hits 67 days over 100 degrees. The record is 69 and they are pretty sure we will break it.

If we break 80 days over 100 this year I am definitely making a T-shirt.

Yes, I know. There's a special kind of water torture that seems to happen in droughts...it consists of one to three minutes of light sprinkle, then nothing! Just got another "water torture" earlier this evening. It's happened 4 or 5 times since the last time we got any more than that!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

That was great reading.

Linda in TEXAS

New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

We got about a quarter inch today. Most of the time, it seems to go around us.

Sealy, TX

Annette - that was hilarious! And it was unfortunately, way too true! Thanks for the laugh, though. If we can't laugh - well, we can't cry, either - no water or don't want to waste it!

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

I wish I could've shared last nights T-storm with y'all. Haven't checked the rain gauge yet, put it was coming down buckets for a little while.

Tonya

Sealy, TX

We had a good storm Saturday night and today I'm back to watering!!!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I liken it to torturing a starving person. Put a plate of food right in front of them but dont let them eat it. It happens to me at least once or twice a week. A storm comes right up to my house, usually when I am watering, I stop watering and look a the radar for an hour, scream in frustration and go back outside and water again.

Sealy, TX

We just got a 45 minute downpour! yeah!!! it was a real rain rain! (I've done that water, stop go look at radar and go back to watering! that's so frustrating!)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thought about you guys in the lower valley today when looking at the radar. We had a downpour, short but heavy. Nice just before sundown. I noticed that there were some rain clouds scattered in the southwest, hoped you got some of it too.

As for the kids not knowing what is going on, I hear you. Too many are inside playing computer games or texting with their noses down tuning out the world. They sleep until noon and never get outside to enjoy what God put there for us. Never watch news or listen when people tell them because of the earphones blasting mind numbing music.
Do I sound like I am bitter .....well yes I guess I am! I just know that when I was young my favorite memories was living on a farm for a short time and experiencing the outside world. Listening, feeling, and experiencing the rain, sun, clouds, insects, animals, and most of all living plants. All the things kids now days have no time for and show very little respect for. Hopefully they will wake up before it is too late.
Sorry....off my soap box now.

New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

We got a measley quarter inch today. I will be so glad when our normal weather pattern returns!

A normal person has this connection with the environment...the others are not normal. Not just gardeners can feel that connection, but it's easier if you grow plants. I've know some who connected without gardening. Better not to say "measley". Been a while since we got that much.
Lee? Anything more yet? I think we've gotten 2/10 inch...although there was dirt or something in the rain gauge, so might be less.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2009 10:55 PM

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Huge rain event around San Marcos right now. I mean it feels like spring. I got .14 of an inch but it is a huge light show, moist and drizzley for about 4 hours now. I know that isnt a lot of rain but the whole production value was worth it. I know every one around me got lots. Once again North of San Marcos just got slammed. I bet they have twice the rainfall this year just 10 miles north. The farm got nothing again but it really feels like things are-a-changing.

New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

I only said that because my friend on the other side of the lake got an inch!!!

yeah but Linda when we were kids my mom used to tell us "the sun is up you kids go outside and play!" We weren't allowed to be inside when we could be out playing and didn't mind that either.

Kids now spend too much time watching TV or videos, online, texting, talking on phone, etc. We had no TV or phone for quite a bit of my childhood. And the other things...nobody did that then. But I do wish someone had been around to show me things...plants, animals, etc. We did know something about poisonous snakes. I used to have snake nightmares when I lived in East Texas as a child, especially after the hurricane flooding that left me with vivid memories, even though I was little . But when I moved to southcentral Texas, that eventually wore off.

Yeah on the snakes. We lived in Houston near a bayou. I remember Hurricane Carla. We were a lucky generation. My mom was at home all day as were all the moms in our neighborhood. We kids had dozens of eyes on us at all times. While the video games of today require problem solving, I'm not so sure about how much imagination and creativity is needed. We had forts to build, roads to construct in the gravel, songs to sing, and games to make up.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

AA....Yes we were so much more active and inventive than today's children.

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

We got rain twice this week. Not a lot but it was some and I am thankful. The big storms just missed us. My husband got so excited from the 3 drops that hit the windshield on the way home from work he watched the radar for 2 hours, lol. We kept saying come on you can do it. Just a little farther. Nooo don't go away, lol.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Something crazy happened today. I went outside and watered some plants at 1pm and I came back inside without having to change out of a sweat drenched shirt. In fact, I lounged outside earlier and it was quite pleasant. I think we might get a few days with bearable temps. Imagine if the whole summer was like this.......NORMAL!

All of my heat sensitive plants were moved back in the sun "for a few days at least" and not a one is wilting.

YAY!!!!!!!!!

Kendalia, TX

Wow, Ju, I noticed the same here! The lava is solidifying. I can walk outside without instantly exploding in a fireball.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We took a mini road trip today and walked about a Botanical Garden and the town square shopping and never got sticky even! Wonderful weekend weather.
I see where Jermania a hurricane is coming at Mexico from the west. Hopefully it won't hit them hard, but will also bring much needed rains across south Texas valley areas for you guys.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I have seen some weather guys on the news speculating but not biting yet. South South Texas got some rain today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.