Different Blooms On Same Echinacea Plant???

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Does anyone know why I might be seeing different colored blooms on the same Echinacea plant? Here is a photo from this morning reflecting what I mean. I've seen this occurring regularly on this Echie.
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

A couple other photos from this morning. Echinacea "Hope"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

I have no idea what this one is. I lost the tag last fall. Yikes

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And a first bloom on Rudbeckia "Chim Chiminee" grown from seed last fall.
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

jon, your different colors means your plant sent out a sport.
you can tag the sport branch and try to divide it out in the fall.

Thanks for the information Belle. I just discovered what a "sport" was about a week or two ago as it happens in the hybrid hibiscus world also. After learning about it, I thought that might be the case here. I like the sport bloom better as it is much larger and an extremely light pink/almost white bloom.
Jon

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

It also could be a seedling that came up right by the other plant. I have seen that happen. Is it also possible that you didn't remove all the blooms before they set seed last year?

I thought of that, but have a feeling it's a "sport" since the growth and blooms are all coming out of the same root ball. It happened last year also which was the first year I had the plant. My Echinacea "Green Jewel" committed suicide last week. LOL...I like that term better than saying I "killed it". Received a new "Green Jewel" in the mail today and it looks better than my original one did at any point since receiving it last spring.
Jon

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Jon, maybe you have a new plant to market. Here is a picture of my Stokes Aster 'Color Wheel" that has various shades of purple and white on the same plant. Nice effect. You'll be rich and famous with your echi! :)

Thumbnail by cedar18

I'm taking pre-orders already. Just send me the moolah. LOL Stokesia "Color Wheel" is pretty cool as the blooms open white, then change to lavender and then change to purple. Nice photo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.