SOLVED: ID for a little tree-PLEASE

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Just got this tree, no name on it. Will send another pic.

Thumbnail by mekos
Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Here is another

Thumbnail by mekos

Maybe, Mimosa borealis?

Rachel

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Do the leaves close up when you touch them?

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

It closes up when it gets hot but not so much when touched ,not that I noticed anyway. IT came in a pot where I bought some burgandy Festival grass. I bought that particular pot because it also had the little tree coming up volunteer. It's a very light grey in color, not green. The stalk is larger around than a mimosa tree or my poinciana trees.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2009 4:49 PM

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Another photo and it's stalk is a greyish/blueish/greenish color all combined and fatter than my other little Mimosa type trees. A very cute little tree.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2009 4:54 PM

Thumbnail by mekos
Keaau, HI

Maybe Caesalpinia pulcherima, Poinsiana.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Can you tell me what the link is to see what that is, please? I don't know how to find things.

Keaau, HI

Hi Mekos, just Google "Caesalpinia pulcherima Images".

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Thank you.

Look's like Dave may have nailed your plant Mekos?

Rachel

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Is there any way to know how old before they bloom, to see the color? Is there any web site that tells that info? Thank you Dave.

Keaau, HI

Give it a large pot with rich well drained soil, and it will develop into a flowering bush (with pruning). It needs to be in full sun to flower well. In winter it will need to be indoors in a sunny window. In your area they will flower from spring till fall.
I guess that if you take care of it well, it may flower next spring.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

OH WOW!!! Thank you for the info. I'll take good care of it. Have a greenhouse for the winter. Thanks again. Mekos

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Sorry but I think I have found my tree. I believe it is Desmanthus Illinoensis. I found a picture of that plant and the stalk and ALL look just like my tree.

Thumbnail by mekos
Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Here is the stalk. It looks just like mine. Could this be it?

Thumbnail by mekos

Hi Mekos, the last pic that you posted is not going to help much. Why do you think your plant is not a Mexican bird of paradise plant?

Rachel
Edit: because we were typing at the same time.....you second to the last photo.

Did you not inquire about the Mexican bird of paradise plant a good while back "looking for one"? I may be confusing you with someone else though.

Rachel

This message was edited Jun 18, 2009 9:51 PM

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Well,I was just looking through the trees pictures and the tree stalk is thicker on this little tree than the others. I have the mexican BOP in red pink and yellow and a royal poinciana tree and several mimosa trees and none have a fat stalk like this tree. And I have all different sizes of trees. I grew them from seeds and some sent me a couple. But the stem or stalk is thinner on the ones I aready had. Actually I was just looking up some seeds and found this one. It just looks so much like my little tree. Google desmanthus Illinoesis-Prairie mimosa and look at the stem and leaves. Here is another of this little tree.

Thumbnail by mekos

Hi Mekos, for some reason or another that Desmanthus does not look quite right for your plant.

Rachel

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Rachel, Yes I got a couple mexican BOP trees and they look different. The first picture I posted shows a fat stalk. The BOPs I got are thinner stalks. And I have grown some from seeds and they have thinner stalks. This whole tree looks just a bit different. It's green but a tad more grey or bluish/green or just different. The leaves close up at times, I'm not sure if heat or movement or what but it just seems different to me.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

I'll close this for now and watch the little tree and when it's older try to post another picture. We'll just wait and see what it turns out to be. I'd rather it be a BOP, but will keep what ever it is.

Mekos, the only other thing I can say is be patient and wait for a bloom;-) That will definitly tell you what this plant is.

Rachel

You do not have to close this, just keep it up-dated if you would like.

Rachel

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You can't ID a seedling by the thickness of the stalk, you need to look at the leaf shape, arrangement, etc. If you look closely at the Desmanthus pictures, you will see that it has leaves that are more finely divided than yours--each of the individual leaflets on your plant would be further divided into smaller leaflets if it were Desmanthus. Take a look at this pic of Desmanthus and you'll see what I mean http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/157032/ I think some sort of Caesalpinia is a good possibility, you'll know for sure once it blooms.

Keaau, HI

It is difficult to ID an unknown seedling. Many legumes look very similar when young.
Be sure to post photos of your plant when it matures.

Aloha, Dave

Orlando, FL

hi mekos it sure is a cute tree, make sure to tell me what you have found lol
debi

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Here is my little tree now. About 1 week later. One more picture coming.

Thumbnail by mekos
Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Here is the next one. I can't believe how much it grew in one week. The leaves do close when touched.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2009 4:58 PM

Thumbnail by mekos
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mimosa pudica
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2573/

Keaau, HI

Mimosa pudica is a prostrate herb, covered with thorns.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Sorry flower, thats not it, I have those around here. This is a fast growing tree. The stalk is bigger than my thumb now. And a foot tall. It was tiny a week ago. The other little trees of BOP, that was about the same size a week ago (except for the stems being different sizes) were about the same size. This one shadows them now. They barely grew and this one is huge.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

In the ground it does get 4'. But maybe one of the sensitve varieties if he gets taller.
I just purchased it(the pudica) from Well Sweep Herb farm for my son's kindergarten teacher and Logee's sells it.
http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1998-4

This message was edited Jun 29, 2009 5:24 PM

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

I wish you hadn't already got one, I could have saved you the money. They grow all over the place around here and blooming too. But the stem is different. Look closely. The stem on mine is thick and blue, the stem on your post picture is tiny and red. Look at how long the leaves have gotten from last week. the first picture and the NOW picture. The leaf is almost 12 inches long.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Mine is planted in a pot, not in the ground.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

And this winter it aint gonna fit in any window sill. (Not even now). This one has me intrigued.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe a Sesbania of some sort? I can't remember if their leaves close up or not but there's some resemblance, and they definitely grow quickly. Hard to say which one though until it flowers, they all look similar at this stage. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=sesbania&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I believe the plant one of these Sesbania herbacea,
http://wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=25486
Sesbania punicea,
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1256/
or Sesbania vesicaria
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107662

I am sure it is not Desmanthus illinoiensis, the leaflets of desmanthus are a lot smaller.
http://wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=14705
Josephine

Keaau, HI

When the plant flowers, an identification will not have to be guess-worked.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

JUST an UP_DATE on the little tree. It's as tall as I am now. 5 foot and a few inches more.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The rate of growth really suggests Sesbania to me--they can grow quite quickly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.