First Bloom On Echinacea "Tomato Soup"

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is a photo from today of my first bloom on Echinacea "Tomato Soup" accompanied by Hibiscus "High Voltage" in the background. It picked the hottest day ever in Ft Lauderdale (100 degrees) to bloom for the first time.
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I think mine is going to be open very soon too. It seems to be growing very well. It's even growing better than Pink Poodle!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Very nice. I am anxious to see how these do, holding color and making it to the next spring. So far looks good. I do not have this one yet, so all the reports will be appreciated.

Agreed. I have two Tomato Soup and both are growing well and seem to be strong plants. Pink Poodle is growing fairly well but doesn't seem to be as strong a plant as Tomato Soup. The foliage is not as lush looking.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Very nice, Jon! Now I will be hovering over mine until it blooms...'course that could be awhile since it's still a liner-a nice looking liner-in a pot, lol! So much for hovering, I guess, lol!

Thanks. Don't hover around too much. Many of these coneflowers just loved to be ignored when they're growing, don't they?

I've tried hovering and ignoring with Mac 'n Cheese and nothing has worked. It's still shorter than the plant tag. LOL.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

That Mac 'n Cheese thing is just crazy...The picture made me lol! Must thank you for posting it, though...Kept me from ordering it. I have enough pouting plants to add another one to my gardens. In my spaces, the tough keep going and the picky have to go!

I found that if you just sprinkle on some extra parmesan, the Mac N Cheese will explode with blooms like its the 4th Of July!!!!! LOL

Thanks, Jon. I'm finding that laughter is very important when growing some of these plants. We shouldn't take them seriously at all. My Pink Poodles look like miniature poodles at best! Mac 'N Cheese is a kid-sized portion!

Exactly. All we can do is give it our best shot. Yeah, it does sound like your Mac N Cheese is a kid sized portion. At least yours is still alive compared to my first one. My Pink Poodle doesn't seem to like it when it rains very much. I've already renamed it "Pink Puddle".

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Here was my Tomato Soup last week. We've been in Indiana helping daughter #2 move into her new condo, and it's too hot and humid today to see what the garden looks like after being away for a week. I'll have to get an earlier start tomorrow morning. Slept in today after the 13+ hour drive.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I think Tomato Soup is going to be on my "list" for fall or next year.

I'll be able to post a pic of my Tomato Soup soon. It's doing great. I have blooms about to open. It's going to have many!

Here is my plant after the blooms have faded a bit

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Still a good and usefull color when it is faded, IMO. I've been wanting some of the Big Sky Series, the photos in the catalogs look so good, but as I lurk on this forum I'm finding some negative reports and think I will save my money and keep an eye on this Tomato Soup.

I'm really pleased with it and Coconut Lime

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images