We were talking about color combinations and I got lost!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My lavender is blooming, too now, but isn't as spectacular as some because it gets a lot of shade.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

My lavender and thyme are still blooming (since April), although they have slowed down. I've had honey bees visiting them. My Mint started blooming a couple weeks ago and I've got what I think is a different type of bee visiting it. Having become a little more aware of the types of bees around by a recent DG article, these look like some of the ground-dweeling bees. I mean to take a closer look. Its nice to see them. I've also seen a couple baby Praying Mantis. I took the time to make sure one got put back in the Mint bed rather than throwing it away the other day.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I have a billion of those roly poly bugs in my hoophouse and have not seen any particular damage.

Wierd summer, my poppies are just really getting going and they are usually finishing right now. The mock orange is just starting to bloom and the lilacs mostly skipped the whole deal.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Your plants in the hoop house are probably mostly on benches or tables and roly polys don't usually get up that far. They will mow down tiny seedlings on the ground, but other than that I don't think they hurt plants much. They mostly eat rotting stuff.

Our summer has been weird but in a nice way. We had an early batch of rain which might be our monsoon. I only hope it will be wet in July which is when we usually have our monsoon. If not -- our rainfall will be less than usual because our May-June rain does not equal the amount we usually get in July and August.

So far I am loving this summer.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I think the roly poly things are at their worst in a moist and mulched (wood chip) environment. I have have thousands of them. They seem to favor any type of new growth. Seedlings and late emerging perennials seem to be especially tasty to them. I think my gaura, anemone and salvia were killed by them this spring. They all showed signs of growth but now there is nothing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.