Echinacea "Coral Reef"

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm so disappointed in this plant. I have tried two now and neither one will grow for me. The first one is in Echinacea Heaven. The new one is on its way to join his long lost friend. I have planted this one outside in a last ditch effort to save it. The leaves gradually turn black from the tips. It does this no matter what I do. It puts out new leaves and after they get mature they start turning black too. I'm not over-watering these either! Grrrr. My other plugs are doing great. "Flame Thrower" is growing very well so far...much better than "Coral Reef."

I hope "Hot Papaya" is a better plant than this one. Is there a place that sells bigger plants of these than plugs? I'm thinking these plugs are very difficult to grow, especially with certain cultivars. Tomato Soup is the surprise grower of the year for me. It was a plug too but is already blooming!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Maniac - Sooner Plant Farm carried them in 1-gallon container, but sad to say I was too late and are sold-out for the year. They won't have it in stock again (1 gallon) until 2010. Amazingly at a low price of $15.95. But you can choose to get notified by e-mail as soon as they have it on stock. All their echinaceas are in one gallon containers at ridiculously low prices. Tomato Soup at $16.95 (gallon) currently available - only 23 units left as I'm typing this.

http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1235

Lazyssfarm - carries them in quart containers at $13.99.

http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Perennials/E_files/E.htm

CircleHGrowers - carries them in 4"x5" pots for $19.99.

http://www.circlehgrowers.com/perennials/echinacea/coral-reef.htm

I posted this before and YOU went on a rampage saying something like how ridiculously they charge such amount of money for such plants when probably it didn't even cost them a dollar. You also added something like they will probably send you same size plants when you buy a plug.
What you don't get is that these are reputable mail-order sites and you get exactly what you paid for. You can check their reviews at Watchdog and nothing but positive reviews. The plants in quart or 4" containers may look small depending on time of year and weather, but the difference is the size of the root ball and I'm sure you know what that means. There are nurseries out there that contracts Terra Nova for plug sizes and there are those that contracts them for bigger plants. That's why some of these nurseries may take them a while to get it in stock, or if they have in stock, it's more money because they're just bigger plants. Simple as that!
I have also read somewhere in this forum that you have purchased some echinacea from McGlauflin's (Mcgperennials) and I know they only carry plug sizes and I don't have to tell you how much they charge for them. Got nothing against McGlauflin's, I'm sure they very reputable. But what I'm saying is, the amount of money you spend buying plugs, most time it's worth spending extra to buy bigger plants.
Or better yet, wait till next spring, I'm sure a lot of nurseries will carry them in gallon sizes.

Lastly, you seem to be doing a lot of 'experiments'. Got nothing against that. You have every right to do what you want to do with your plants. I just plant my plugs (including Coral Reef) outside in the beds and let nature do the rest. Everything are growing just fine.

The reason I experiment is because some died when planted directly outside. Also, I like to learn new ways of doing things. Several people recommended growing them in pots. I just had bad results with Coral Reef and thought I'd share my results with others. I've had good results with most of them except Mac n Cheese and Coral Reef. Mac n Cheese was planted in the same bed as Tomato Soup. Tomato Soup is growing great while it struggles. Coral Reef is very difficult to grow, but I won't give up until the plant dies completely.

Please post a photo of your Coral Reef. I'd like to see it. So far nobody has posted a photo of one blooming at all. Anybody out there have any luck with Coral Reef? I'm sure if they had luck with it, they'd post a photo by now. It's almost July!

This message was edited Jun 30, 2009 2:28 PM

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I am very anxious to see a pic of Flame Thrower. It is supposed to be a huge plant at maturity. I hope it is hardy for you too. It will be the first plant I order next season. Tangerine and HP may be two and three. Resistance is futile! LOL

ngam,

I want Tangerine Dream so badly! I think it might be what I expected Tiki Torch to be...At least I'm hoping. LOL. I also want Firebird and about 100 more Tomato Soups but I'll wait on that one until it comes back next Spring. I got my hopes up for Tiki last year so I'm keeping my expectations lowered!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Sorry Maniac - Coral Reef are barely new (at least to me), so I started them in plugs too. I'm fairly new here at DG and honestly I was not even aware of all these new Echinaceas until you mentioned the co-op forum few weeks back and that's when I started searching for them. I don't have anything that's flowering but they're just growing just fine. I would love to get them in gallon size and it was a disappointment for me when Sooner Farms got sold-out for the year.

I'm waiting till August to order from Circle H Growers, because I'm also wanting 'Firebird' and 'Flamethrower' in 4"x5" pots but those two will not be available until late July and August. I don't mind paying the amount they ask for those plants but I don't want to pay a lot of shipping for each individual orders. I'm going to order them all as soon as all are available that way I pay one shipping fee.

Also one of my favorite nurseries here in Jersey, also a Terra Nova retailer, already told me they're going to get the newer varieties in quarts and gallon by the end of summer or early fall and they only sell them for $10 for quarts or $12.99-$14.99 for gallons. That's their prices for all their perennials regardless what kind or if it's new or not.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2009 3:41 PM

Tex68,

That is awesome that you'll be able to buy some locally. I wish I had that chance here. The local nursery just now got Tiki Torch this year. I'm giving one of them a try to see if it returns next year. It's bigger than the plants I grew last year ever got. It also is covered with small blooms. Maybe it'll come back next year if I'm lucky.

If anyone knows of a place near West Tennessee, that sells all the new plants please let me know!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Maniac -

Here's a list of Terra Nova retailers for the State of Tennessee I'm not familiar with them but you might. Give them a call:.

Bates Nursery & Garden Center - (615) 876-1014
The Dabney Nursery - (901) 755-4037
D&B Yarden Goodys - (865) 992-0951
Gum Tree Farm - (615) 400-3074
Heritage Gardens - (423) 798-9494
Hewitt Garden & Design - (615) 661-6767
Littletons Greenhouse - (423) 753-9314
Marys Greenhouse Inc. - (931) 668-2119
Meadow View Greenhouse & Garden Center - (865) 986-7229
Oakes Daylilies - (865) 687-3770
Randolphs Greenhouses - (731) 422-2768
Signal Mountain Nursery - (423) 886-3174
Stringers Garden Centers - (901) 754-5700
Sunlight Gardens - (865) 494-8237

Thanks for that list. I'm going to check with all of them. Randolphs on the list is where I got my Tiki Torch. They didn't have Tomato Soup, etc. I think she's being cautious because so many complained about Big Sky plants. Those plants are one of the reasons it's so hard to find some of the newer plants. Too many folks got burned.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Interesting conversations. My biggest problem is my impatience when I see some new "just gotta have" Echie each spring. Rather than waiting until gallon sizes are available in mid summer after they've had time to grow, I jump online and immediately order the small sized plants. I'm always afraid companies are going to sell out of what they have before they ever grow to gallon sized plants. I have "Tangerine Dream" and "Flame Thrower". They are growing very nicely but still have quite a ways to go before their first blooms.
Jon

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I am with you on this! I ordered Coral Reef from Circle H early in the spring. Long story short, the itsy bitsy that I received only had one leaf left dangling on it and well, it didn't make it outside. I was very disappointed, especially with the $20 bucks price tag, not including shipping. I did email them, though and they had stellar customer service and refunded me promptly. I was so sad, though that Coral Reef wasn't big and beautiful and out there growing in my garden! Now, I don't know where I'll get it!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I see it available right now on lazyssfarm.com and also on E Bay.
Jon

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome to Dave's fun:)
I got Coral Reef in the co-op that echinaceamanic refered to on another thread..It's doing well in the pot, but is still a baby. It's so tempting to just go ahead and order a bigger one, but I'll wait...not so patiently, lol!

I haven't received my plants yet from the Co-op. I hope they haven't forgotten me!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

No, this was from the first one..The second co-op won't start shipping until the middle of next month. No panic yet, lol! Ella is expecting to get them from TN I believe the 13 or so and will acclimate them for a week before packing and shipping if I read her post correctly.

Awesome. I can't wait to get my Hot Lava plants. I'm really liking the red Echies!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.