Echinacea "Hot Papaya"

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Is something wrong with this plant? I haven't seen it sold anywhere yet. It was supposed to be the hottest new Echinacea this year. I guess it'll have to be the hottest new plant next year maybe!

Do any of you have it? Could you post a picture of it growing, blooming, or dead? LOL.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Maniac - I believe Hot Papaya won't be available until spring of 2010. Some might release it this fall but I doubt it.

C'mon! Don't push it!!!!!! I can't even cope-up with the ones already released! LOL! Gosh, are there going to be more introduction???!!!!

You can check Ebay around fall too. Some individual sellers out there somehow manage to sneak them out early.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2009 3:51 PM

I know. I'm hoping to create my own plants so I don't have to keep buying other people's plants. I've been saving seeds of all the plants I have. My Paradoxa seeds are producing some very interesting plants. I will have more next year. I'm increasing my Paradoxa populations!

I want my Hot Papaya now! I already paid for one. They shipped all my other plants and said it would come this fall, but I am beginning to wonder.

Update: I found out the following about this cultivar...

Plants are at many of the growers this month. Liners will be ready in about 10 weeks. There's nothing wrong with it. It was just much slower to multiply than expected. YAY!

This message was edited Jul 1, 2009 5:56 PM

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

I wonder where the grower is....a lot of plants have been slow to fill out the pot this year for retail sale due to the cloudiness.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I also read Hot Papaya was for release next year, so was very willing to buy a couple in the co-op. I decided to order a couple of "Coral Reef" online today. I figured plants are slow to come around this summer up north due to the unseasonably cool damp weather. Has anyone written down a list of all the new Echinacea's that are supposed to be released next year? Every once in awhile someone drops a name of a new upcoming Echie release for next year and I've been lazy about writing it down.
Jon

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

emaniac - I had ordered a few Hot Papaya from Great Garden Plants; they had listed Spring shipping. However, in early May, I got an email from them stating their plants were not available for Spring shipping, & they would ship in the fall. So, I am (im)patiently waiting....... They did give me a 15% discount on my next order, which I have not used yet. The pictures of Hot Papaya are gorgeous, so I hope they will be worth the extra wait!! Samantha

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Also, I was looking on McGlauflin's Perennials website, they state they will have Hot Papaya plugs in stock Monday, August 10, 2009. http://mcgperennials.com/
Samantha

I see they also list Echinacea "Firebird" as being available next week. I hadn't heard of this one before.
Jon

Jon - I have seen Firebird for sale and have been so tempted to order it. The color is an amazing bright red. I also like that type of bloom with the dark cones. It's the most expensive of all the new plants though. I'm going to wait until there is a Co-Op here. LOL. Hot Lava and Tomato Soup will be good enough for me until I can get it here cheaper. I ordered 3 Hot Lavas.

Now that I think of it I think I saw it also and passed on it for the time being. I think it was because I had ordered "Hot Lava", "Flame Thrower" and "Tangerine Dream" and decided to "cool it" on the ordering of these things....for about 5 minutes. LOL

Jon

Wayne, NE

Wayside is advertising it

Baltimore, MD

I promise you all Hot Papaya is at the growers now. Liners will go to the wholesalers later this month and some, very small quantities will make it to the retailers this Fall. Most plants will be for sale next Spring, except for mail order, like Great Garden Plants. The should have them, if they are not already pre ordered - next month. Here's an image of the plant blooming in my garden last week.

Thumbnail by plantsnouveau

That is a beautiful plant. All of your plants have been very impressive so far. I can't wait till they finally ship my Hot Papaya. Those stems look so thick! I bet they don't fall over like some of the other echies. If it grows as well as Meringue, Pink Double Delight and Coconut Lime I will have to have many of them! LOL. I am hoping to see a Yellow double echie and maybe an orange one the color of Tiki Torch too. I will definitely have them all. I'm addicted.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2009 6:40 PM

Whoa momma. I can't wait either. What a red!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous! I need it! Is it red or a dark orange? Whichever it is a necessity.

Exactly. I'm not too wild about Papaya's but Hot Papaya's I likey.

Baltimore, MD

It is blood orange. It's very dark. Much darker than when I saw it in the fields in Holland.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Thanks,looks and sounds great. Another echinacea for the spring order. Tomato Soup, Milkshake and Flame Thrower and now this one. Hot stuff,love it!

Maybe it's darker in our warmer climate here in the USA. Afterall, daytime summer temperatures in The Netherlands do not get much warmer thans to 70's...for the mostpart.
Jon

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i see another one for the co-ops!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Please Dori - TELL ME it's gonna happen TOMORROW!!!!! Pretty please!!!!!! I'll take a whole tray! LOL!

If there's a co-op of these, I must be informed. LOL. I have one ordered but must have several.

I'd love to see a Coneflower Co-op too! I just planted my first one this spring called 'Harvest Moon'. It is beautiful but I was wondering why it is only about 8" tall??? It has four nice blooms and the foliage is nice and green but it just hasn't grown much. Bluestone's web site says it should grow to 34". Is that normal for the first year?

I wonder why I still don't have my plant. I ordered it months ago! They still haven't sent the plant!

My Harvest Moon is in its second year. It blooms very well for me, but I wouldn't call it a tall one. I don't recall it ever being taller than 12 inches. Are you referring to the co-op with the Hot Papaya's maniac? They were received on Thursday and are supposed to be shipping them this coming week on Mon or Tuesday.
Jon

Thanks for the info on Harvest Moon Jon. Much appreciated.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

mine is tall this yr

I have a feeling Harvest One may just be one of those that performs better in cooler conditions and/or would benefit from a little less full sun down here in South Florida.

Jon, the coop is for Hot Lava. LOL.

I meant my Hot Papaya which was supposed to ship this spring. I paid for it but they sent all my plants but that one.

I pulled up Harvest Moon and ditched it two years ago. I got tired of the pitiful plants which seemed to get smaller and shorter each year. The blooms fade so quickly that I don't miss it anyways. Paradoxa holds it's color much longer and is a much better plant in my opinion.

Yeah, you're correct maniac. I keep flip flopping the "Hot" Echies. Paradoxa didn't do squat for me here. LOL I had two of them I grew last fall from seed. Each bloomed about two or three times and then the rain and humidity that began in late May did them in. Harvest Moon Rules! Harvest Moon Is God! LOL

Jon - Sorry to hear about your Paradoxas. I hope my Mac n Cheese will bloom someday. I'm ignoring it which seems to be working. Prayer didn't work. :)

Ignoring it is a good thing. I've tried both prayer and swearing at the Echies. It's too early in the test study to see which method gives better results. LOL

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

It's officially all your fault, lol! I bought a gallon-sized, already blooming Mac-n-Cheese today. Had to try it out to see what it would do. If it shrinks down to plant tag sized, well then I'm going to try the swearing method next. Ignoring it will be the backup plan...

Sure, rub it in, rub it in. LOL If your GALLON sized plant shrinks down to plant tag size before winter, then somebody/something probably ate the Mac N Cheese!!!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL! It won't be me...I'd blame it on the dang deer! Or the dang rabbits! Or the dang squirrels!
It actually looks very promising right now. We'll see, we'll see. I lucked out finding one that size. Of course I must plant it next to what else?...Tomato Soup. I know...cliche.

My Mac n Cheese is growing some! LOL. It's got more than one set of leaves now. It would probably work in a half/gallon pot but a gallon would be pushing it. I think I'm going to focus on yellow Rudbeckias more and forget the idea of yellow Echies except for Paradoxa!

Here's my "take" on growing "Mac N Cheese" starter/small sized plants in the south maniac. I think you're better off starting them in the larger one gallon pot. They don't seem to do as well for me when starting them in pots smaller than a gallon. They seem to like lots of extra space that a gallon provides. Even more important seems to be the amount of sun they receive as smaller plants. I get the feeling they are less likely to go into summer dormancy if you somewhat cut back on the amount of sun they receive in the beginning. I don't think its as big of an issue when you start with a larger sized puchased plant as these are much more established plants and are more adaptable to different conditions.
OK, now here's the visual difference. Here are two Mac N Cheese plants both received on June 10, 2009 and were both the same size on June 10. This one is growing in a place where it only receives sun from 8AM-1PM (5 hours per day). It has already set its first flower buds in the last few days.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

This Mac N Cheese is planted in the ground and receives sun from approximately 8AM-5PM (9 hours). It IS growing, but not at the same rate as the other one receiving less sun.
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

But you got new leaves! I'll bet as soon as you decide you don't like it, it'll start showing off, lol! I'm gonna show my new one some tough love...shove it and, yep...run! Nothin' ventured, right? Something tells me that I won't turn down any ruds, though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.