What I have isn't working - need some help please

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

We moved here almost exactly a year ago and the first thing I did was tear out some bushes in front of the house and put my roses there that I brought with me. I wasn't sure if there was going to be enough sun for them there, but it was the only bed already made and I hated the bushes anyway. They actually did ok until all the rain we got this year and I've been fighting black spot to the point that 2 of them look almost dead. I'm working on a new bed to move them to this fall. I think I need to move the clematis that's planted behind them too as only one bloomed, 2 didn't come back up, 2 grew but haven't flowered, and 2 new ones aren't even growing. I've just been filling the bed with some annuals I've found on sale/clearance as I didn't want to put anything else in until I knew for sure if I was going to have to move the roses.
I need something as a "backdrop" once I move the roses. The front of the house faces South and there is a large tree about 20 feet away directly in front of the house so it get's dappled sun, more or less, thru-out the day. I don't want any bushes that are dense and close to the ground (snake hiding places). I also don't want anything that will grow up too tall and dense to hide the front of the house or that has to be trimmed/cut back giving it a shrub/hedge like appearance. We like to sit on the front porch and don't want to not be able to see out.
Here's a pic of the whole front of the house. I'll post a pic from the other side next.

Thumbnail by DevilDogs
This thread has 48 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!