Pink Poodle Variations

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I have 3 Echinacea "Pink Poodle." One of them has a completely double bloom type. The other two are more like what I thought Double Decker would be. I wonder if this is a selection of Double Decker. Here are photos of the two that have part of a cone showing through. One of them looks completely double with petals all over. These two aren't the same. Hopefully the petals on top will elongate and cover the cone, but this is strange how these are not the same. I was told tissue culture produces copies of a plant that are all the same, but I see now that they aren't all the same.

I tried Double Decker and never had one with the double deckered blooms, but it seems some Pink Poodles are just Double Deckers! Once again...this is an Echinacea that needs to be blooming before you pick out the one you want. I can't believe I got two out of three that look like this!

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac

Here's another pic...

Here's the one that looks like what I was expecting...

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Are all the blooms on the respective plants the same? Perhaps you have a small critter that has munched on the petals before it bloomed. I have some that the inch worms got to before I sent them to that big worm farm in the sky. They left some CL blooms with only a cone, half petals and half of the blooms looking normal. All new blooms are just fine now. I hope it is not a genetic thing. Keep us informed on what you continue to see.

No. I've been looking at these closely each day because I love the blooms. There isn't anything eating these. These are just developing differently than the first one did. I think it's genetic but I can't be certain yet. They should still look ok but just not uniform.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Bizarre. I have no clue. Ironically I was doing some reading about Double Decker yesterday. I didn't realize that you generally will only get regular blooms the first year and will not see any two tiered blooms until year two,
Jon

Boston, MA

I read that too about double decker. I bought some little ones this year, will have to wait 2 years to see the "real flower" on this plant.

Ayah

See below...These do look like double deckers. Bummer.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2009 11:10 AM

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I agree totally. If this comes through the winter it will be hard to top. I am very glad to hear the blooms are coming together as they should. It is one of those plants that is hard to stop looking at.

Hamilton, OH

Well i think my double decker was somehow mislabeled then.. cause it matches the PP exactly. Even the smaller secondary flowers are double. Not a very echinacea looking bloom.. but nice none the less

Hamilton, OH

Thumbnail by Nevermore44
Hamilton, OH

image 2

Thumbnail by Nevermore44

Oooops...I spoke to soon. The blooms aren't stable on these. Some plants don't look like the correct bloom form. My new blooms are more like double deckers on 3 out of 4 plants. Looks like a tissue culture problem.

My Pink Poodle is just weird. The first bloom has been opening for several days now and I have no idea what its going to end up looking like.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I only have one plant and they all bloomed the same as the first one pretty much if not quite as large. Do you think the warm temps have something to do with it? They also may be like double decker and need a year or two to get it together bloom-wise.

Perhaps the temperatures may play some role in the performance of the plant. I only have one "Pink Poodle" also and its not growing much this year. Maybe I just have a weaker plant. I keep thinking about my first "Green Jewel" plant last year that never grew much at all and had short stemmed blooms. Then this year I ordered new Green Jewel's and these are growing like monsters. It makes me wonder if some of these new varieties have some reproductive tissue culture issues the first year they are out that get corrected when new plants come out the following year???

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

You could be right about that, could also be who is doing the cultures. My biggest worry with this one is will it get through the winter and bloom as pretty next year. We shall see.

I think there's a tissue culture problem. I've seen others with the same problem on GardenWeb. Someone else just posted about it there.

That's what I'm thinking Clint. There is such a rush to produce these things in year one. By year two some of issues may have been corrected and you get better plants to start with.

At least I have a Double Decker now with true Double Decker blooms. I also got one that is a true Pink Poodle. LOL.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Clint: I haven't kept up here but I have to say your pic "Here's the one that looks like what I was expecting..."

looks just like a dahlia!!

I love that one, but my other two look like a Double Decker from Chernobyl. LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.