First Year for "Green Envy"

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I hope this plant looks good next year, but this year it leaves much to be desired. I do like the way the color is when the blooms are developing. However, the shape of the blooms is very distorted. The older blooms just turn solid pink like an old-fashioned purple coneflower, however. It just looks like a diseased Echinacea in a way. LOL. There's always next year!

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Still waiting for mine to bloom. Hope yours improves with age also. Cooler fall temps and shorter days may bring back some green to the bloom. I will be interested to hear how it progresses for you.

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I agree, I hate the color that those fade to. My Knee Highs fade like that, too. They are so light pink and faded right now, Yuck! I think I'm going to pull them up.

Tomato Soup is still pretty when it fades. I really like this one, especially if it comes back next year! LOL.

Oh, me to. Love the Tomato Soup, faded or not! I also noticed that when the blooms got really old the petals kind of elongate, almost looking quilled, but uniformly quilled, not random. That looks kind of neat, too. Time to deadhead now, I guess.

I'm thinking about saving some seeds of my Tomato Soup. I don't know. Maybe I should deadhead it too.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Initially my very first few blooms on Green Envy were like your photo maniac. All of the remaining ones have been taller and uniform but no green in any of blooms this month. I've also noticed the elongation of the petals on older Tomato Soup blooms. The petals also seem to bend a bit giving it a pinwheel look.
Jon

Yes, Jon, that is exactly what I was talking about by the quilled but nicely quilled description I gave. Your description is much more to the point. I think the pinwheel effect is very unusual and the fact that the tomato soup still looks good at even that stage is very surprising. LOL, I think the blooms would probably fall off gracefully, too!

Hamilton, OH

Mine bloom out nice.. with the purple to green tips.... but then the green fades to a gray color and the purple darkens... so the older blooms are blah gray/purple.

Jon - I think next year my plant will look better. It's blooming very late because it's new in the garden this year. Next year it will bloom in May or June and the temps won't be so bad. I'm trying not to be so picky but it's so difficult! LOL.

Perhaps maniac, but I wouldn't count on it. LOL. My "Green Envy" is doing all the things I mentioned in its second season in the ground.

I know exactly what you mean Nevermore44 when it comes to color changing on the Green Envy. Here's a photo from June with two Green Envy blooms in the vase. The one on the right was a new bloom and the one on the left is an older bloom.

Jon

Oops. Here's that photo.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Jon - If mine look like that I'll be satisfied. LOL.

Oh though, how the times have changed. That was a June bloom. Here's the July blooms from the very same plant. It's a cruel summer. LOL

Thumbnail by amorecuore

How hot is it there now? I like to fly to Fort Lauderdale and then drive to Key West. I've been there about 5 times now! I'll probably wait until January. LOL.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

If mine look like the ones in your vase photo I would be happy too. I wonder if they will go all pink up here as well. This year will not be a good test since things are a bit late because of weather. A fact not lost on the goldfinches that are now checking the echies every day for seed and coming away empty so far. Still waiting for a bloom to open on this one.

It's usually around 88-92 for a high each day and 75-80 for a low each night. The temperatures seldom vary from that from July through late to mid October. I think the suns intensity is what makes the difference here in the summer. We are much closer to the equator therefore the sun is stronger. I think the suns intensity is what changes the bloom color here. I gave my parents in NY State a "Green Envy" last year. It bloomed for them all summer in its typical colors and did not change during warm periods.
Driving to Key West through the Florida Keys is a beautiful experience. There's nothing like that emerald blue-green colored ocean you will see all along the way.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I kind of thought it may be your stronger sun that is changing the color. I will report if mine acts as your parents' did, that is if it ever decides to move from bud to bloom before frost. LOL Our temps during the middle of the day are just now reaching your overnight temps. A very odd year here for the garden. Sounds like a lovely trip echinaceamaniac, I am very jealous. If you go again we will need some pics of that beautiful view, oh and some garden and flower shots as well. :)

You just might get some great Green Envy blooms ngam with the cooler weather when it comes to coloration being consistent. Here's a flower shot of something you typically see in bloom just about everywhere here in Ft Lauderdale right now. This is my Ixora "Nora Grant". It is also called a Jungle Flame plant. It blooms most heavily during the months of July and August.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Now that is very pretty. Kinda reminds me of the pink azaleas here in the spring. Does it get large or stay a nice mounded shrub or is it a plant?

It's really a shrub that many people here shape and prune into a hedge. It will grow large if you let it grow. This one in my front yard is 5-6 feet tall.

Hamilton, OH

Ol dirty flower

Thumbnail by Nevermore44

So far I am very disappointed in this plant. It is growing very well, but my main gripe is that the people who introduced this plant mislead the public about it. All the marketing pictures of this cultivar were taken before the cone has even developed. None of them are when the bloom is fully open because the unique bloom coloration doesn't last long at all. This is very deceptive and I will be very cautious when I purchase a plant introduced by Pride of Place plants again.

I think it just doesn't hold its color at all the further south you go during the warmer weather. My blooms are still solid pink right now in mid summer. I have seen it blooming at my parents in NY State last June and August and the coloration looked fine there. Gonna keep the two I have for the time being, but won't be ordering any more of these ones.
Jon

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm not caring much for this one either. Really like the bi color petals but they fade very fast and now the newer flowers just aren't doing it for me...kinda blah looking. Need to add some zing to em or rip em out and put in more Tomato Soup.

Is anyone else experiencing mediocre branching on Tomato Soup? Mine put out a bunch of blooms but it doesn't appear that the initial blooming cycle is going to be all that long in duration. I'm getting the feeling its going to be a 30-45 day blooming cycle and then ...that's it.
Jon

Jon - That's it for me too. It does have a good start for next year though. These did awesome for first year plants.

Meanwhile - Mac 'n Cheese is still the same plant that hasn't put up one bloom at all.

Back to Green Envy....It's HORRIBLE. I can't believe this plant made it past the first trial. LOL.

I agree that Tomato Soup was a great grower for year one. Just wished it bloomed longer. Mac N Cheese....I don't know yet. Green Envy I feel bad about. I posted some very nice early season blooms and think that may be part of the reason you decided to give it another try. If I hadn't posted those photos you probably would have saved some money. Sorry about that Clint.
Jon

It's not your fault. I'll just pick the blooms before they get ugly. Lol.

LOL. My "Green Envy's" have been starting ugly and ending ugly all summer long. Arrgh

For me, the verdict is still out on Tomato Soup as far as a second flush is concerned. I have one bloom that came up after the "first flush" and am looking at at least one more just now starting to form. Remember, my echs are in more shade than most people have them in. We'll see if that effects Tomato Soup's attitude for a second flush! Keep you posted.

My Green Envy blooms look horrible. The cones are this greenish color but the petals are all dirty, solid pink. The cones don't look normal either.

I have read about tissue culture and they can take a plant's meristem and culture it to remove diseases. Is it possible that these were plants with Aster Yellows and they tissue cultured them this way to remove the virus? Something just isn't right about these plants.

I might have to move this one away from my other plants. Is anyone else concerned about this plant?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Mine actually looked like it was supposed to. Last year was its first full growing season and I wasn't sure that I was going to keep it since it didn't look right. I guess it was a good thing that I got really busy and forgot about it. It has flopped as the cones ripened. I need to deadhead it and probably move it into a bit more sun.

Thanks...So the blooms looked weird the first year for you too? I think I'll just cut the bloom stalks off and let the plant remain until next year and see how it goes. It's a huge plant so far.

The blooms have still been ugly on my 2 Green Envys and they both have finished their bloom cycle. The one in half day sun grew lots this year and the one in full sun grew very little. The larger one may bloom again in the fall and have some better looking blooms (at least it did last fall). The smaller one I'm probably going to pull out and replace it with one that's currently in a pot.
One "note" on Echinacea "Virgin" Clint. The cone only holds its green color for a few days and then changes to orange. Quite frankly it's blooms are very similar in color patterns to Primadonna White. Primadonna White is a taller plant with larger blooms. Advantage does to "Primadonna White" in my opinion.
Jon

Thanks, Jon. I guess I'll be getting some Primadonna White seeds and growing a few plants. I really like the green cones on the white blooms.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Mine has finally bloomed and so far looks like it is supposed to look also. It has also started new growth from the base at last too. Now if I can keep the weeds and resident ground hog away from it this year, the plant may have a fighting chance to grow up. I am glad to hear that it is a strong plant.

Are you referring to your "Green Envy" ngam? Yes, keeping the weeds away is a definite help. The coneflowers don't seem to like competing for nutrients with weeds.
Here's a photo of my "Virgin" today Clint. As you can see the cones are turning orange.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Yep Green Envy. The weed battle here has been really bad with all the rain. My white one 'Purity' has grown well, actually huge and bloomed and was almost immediately made to look like swiss cheese due to beetles or something munching on it. Very discouraging. They don't seem to bother the pink ones so much thank goodness.

Thanks, Jon. I think I like the way the petals are shaped on "Virgin." The blooms are so symmetrical.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.