Persian yellow??

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9b)

I was reading some old threads and saw roybird's pictures of Persian yellow rose from back in May. I am trying to discover the identity of a very similar (maybe the same?) yellow rose on my great aunt's place in south central Utah (about 5,300 feet/pinyon/juniper). It is an old rose, dating from at least the 1930's, maybe earlier. I have no picture but it is a once-blooming rose that blooms all along the branch like the pictures I have seen of Persian yellow and has the same yellow flower. It sends out suckers like crazy and has formed a big thicket next to the pasture. It is difficult to manage because of the suckers, and the thorns!!!! - and threatens to take over part of the garden. But left alone, it is spectacular when it blooms in May/June. It is very hardy and can persist in dry rocky locations (we started one on the side of the hill 10 years ago and it is doing fine) Does Persian yellow sucker freely (agressively)? Do any of you Rocky Mountain gardeners know of any other hardy yellow rose that might have been used on an old homestead, or is it likely Persian yellow? My great auntie also has a white rose, very small (1/2") single white flowers in panicles, not much scent that I recall, long arching canes, once blooming. It does not sucker like the yellow one. Both of these roses are grown along the pasture fence and have formed impenetrable brambles. She also has an Austrian copper in another area, and that is the only one of her roses that I have been able to identify so far. I am interested in what kind of roses an old rancher might have planted in the 1920's or 1930's (or earlier) in central Utah.

Santa Fe, NM

It sounds like a Persian yellow rose. Especially since you mention the Austrian copper. I think they are related and they do like the same conditions. Hardy as all get out. I have not noticed mine suckering but it is planted almost under a currant bush that suckers like crazy. I probably shouldn't have planted the rose so close to it but that is one tough rosy, holds her own. Your great aunt was smart in her rose choices. Those roses were and still are very popular in my area. They do form hedges in the older gardens in town. I wonder what the white rose is.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you roybird. I happened across a rose purveyor situated outside of Vernal, Utah called High Country Roses. They carry many heritage and old garden roses, as well a hardy modern varieties suited to the high desert. I posed the question to them and they suggested the white rose might be Rosa multiflora or Rosa wichuraiana. I have looked around a bit and am leaning toward R. multiflora, although I really should take a picture of it to be certain. They also confirmed that the yellow likely is Persian yellow. I am happy to have this information, as this is a rose I have seen at this place since I was a little girl, and my aunt never called it by any name.

I used to live in Santa Fe in a former life, before I moved to Sacramento. What a beautiful place, I sure miss the sky and green chiles, they don't grow them anywhere like they do in New Mexico.

Santa Fe, NM

Chile capitol of the world! Good luck with your roses. Isn't it interesting how the plants we grew up with stay on our minds?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.