Sundowns Blooming Oddity

Lapeer, MI

I bought two Sundowns and they are forming the center of the flower, but not growing any petals. I've checked and there doesn't appear to be any sign of insect damage--the center just gets a little bigger and then dries up. Should I deadhead these? Could there be something else going on?
One of the two finally has one bloom with petals, but is growing painfully slow. (I sort of feel like this is cosmic payback, because I really meant to buy Tiki Torch and grabbed 2 Sundowns that were mixed in with the Tiki's on the bench, Arrgh!)

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm not sure. It sounds like there might be something wrong with the plant itself. I have a good Sundown (most of the time), but I've heard many people are less than trilled with that variety. If it was me I would just give it some more time to see if the issue corrects itself in the next month or so.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Oops. I think I'd probably deadhead it also so more of the energy is going into the growing process.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I call this "Big Sky Syndrome." They are plants from Chernobyl. I wouldn't plant one like that in my garden if I were you. Take it back and exchange it or get a refund. It only gets worse. Even if it does get petals, chances are they will be cursed with "Big Sky Quilling Disorder."

Lapeer, MI

Ech...what is "Big Sky Quilling Disorder"?! This is my first departure from the tried and true Magnus, which seem to be pretty much maintenance free.
Michelle

Michelle - That's just what I made up to call the problem. LOL. They sometimes come out of tissue culture with this problem. It's very widespread. I've been told it's a genetic aberration. There's nothing you can do to stop this except find another plant that looks normal. You have to pick one out that's blooming already and has perfect blooms. If you look for the plant on Dave's Garden, you'll find that many other people posted photos of their plant with this problem.

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Michelle,

If you are taking your first steps from Magnus, you may want to step in a different direction than the Big Sky cultivars! A lot of people have trouble with those and I would hate for Big Sky to turn you away from all the new cultivars. Tomato Soup is a great new cultivar provided it overwinters this year. Coconut Lime and Pink Double Delight are also two good ones. There are other good ones as well, so don't judge them all by the Big Sky series. I personally have had good luck with only one type of the Big Skies but I have heard a lot that didn't have luck with any of them.

Meringue is a good one too that you can find at Lowes in many areas right now. They also have Coconut Lime and Pink Double Delight.

Also consider some of the seed varieties. I've seen one called Primadonna White that is beautiful. Many people also like Prairie Splendor. It has many seedlings with dark stems too.

Lapeer, MI

Thanks for the help ladies. I kind of forgot that I also tried a couple of the green varieties this summer too. Loving Coconut lime, but not at all impressed with Green Jewel (ugly). Daughter loves that light green color, so we started a 'green' garden at her request.

And thanks Ech--good one, I thought you were serious--was surprised I hadn't heard of it, especially working at a garden center.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.