Watermarking your photos

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I know that this topic has been brought up before, but I was doing a little research and found that the FREE program Picasa3 offered by google has a text option so that you can add a watermark. And you can also make collages with this program as well as edit your photos. Pretty cool!

http://picasa.google.com/

Unfortunately, photos ARE sometimes used without permission. You may not even know that your photo(s) have been taken or used. And if you don't have a problem with that, then just disregard this thread ...

Here is one of my photos with my name as a watermark.

After you download Picasa3:

Choose photo from personal library by clicking on it.
Go to Basic Fixes
Choose text box options
Type your name or what you wish to be the watermark text
Adjust transparency and color to your preference
Click apply
And then "save as" the photo. I do not recommend you save the photo as a replacement of the original.
Save to a folder with a unique name (such as the flower, date, etc.)

Here is one I made just playing around.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Another photo I did.

Another example,

And a collage I made using this program. I could've added text to this as well, but didn't. Neat program!

Melbourne, FL

It really is a neat program. Anyone who has not tried it yet really should.

szarvas, Hungary

Becky,
First bloom ,WOW is it Cacao Chocolate or a variant.
Perhaps I can use the collage fonction for cross illustration

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have paint shop pro and always forget to water mark my photos but it is something people need to do. others have had theirs taken and posted else where. not a good thing and something simple to do.

also if you dont have like this program when taking you flower pics hold up a small piece of paper with your name on it or something to id it as yours. a friend of mine has this little sticky thing she has a caterpillar on and holds it up to the plant then takes pic.

just anything to id it as yours.

cool program Becky

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

I have paint shop pro too, but I dont know how to use it! I must've spent an hour tonight trying to figure out how to make collages on it, so I think I'll try your link, Becky.

Thank you so much!
phyl

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Fantastic idea would be great if seeds and the resultant plants could be watermarked in the same way, imagine if some sort of ultraviolet tracking gene could be incorporated into the DNA

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

I see value for watermarks, but some photographers go overboard and mark up the photo so much you can't get a good view of the flower being portrayed. I've had a watermarked Ipomoea obscura Ethiopia stolen and seen the photo being used in a Yahoo Japan auction listing; you can see where the thief smeared the background color over the watermark. After that I guess I just gave up doing it.

szarvas, Hungary

Joseph this pic is not your ?
It come from Japanese Blog

Thumbnail by dany12
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes it is a photo I took, maybe it's from my own blog?

szarvas, Hungary

Your, Joseph has no notice .

Why to grow MG in a cake ? LOL

Joseph - So sorry to hear that the watermark you added to some of your photos were smeared over. I guess there are some people that will go to great lengths to steal your photos!

But ... if they have to do a little editing to even get rid of a watermark signature ... then GOOO! Let's not make it too easy for them to steal our photos! :-)

I just found out how to use Picasa to do this, so plan to have all my photos that are shared on the internet to have a watermark on them. :-) But I do keep the original photos unedited on my computer or backup hard drive. :-)

Dany - I have NO idea what that first bloom is other than an MG. It was a NOID that came from a cross of mine before I knew how to tag crosses to keep track of what they are. LOL! One of my first NOIDs. :-)

Good luck to everyone who wants to try this program! It took me a few tries to figure out most of the options. I take notes if something seems a little bit confusing to me. This program wasn't too hard for me to figure out though, so I will continue to use it for watermarks. :-) And the collage option is pretty cool. I only wish it would let me change the size of the photos on the collage. If it does that, someone please dmail me or post here instructions on that! I couldn't find any way to do that.

LOL! It DOES look like a cake that the sprouts are in! Too funny, Dany! And ... Joseph ... What were they growing in anyway?

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

Becky, I DL the program yesterday morning and I clicked the button to go thru my computer for all my pictures, and oh my goodness, i didnt know i had so many! I've not had a chance to play with the program yet, but it looks like it will be something new to figure out. =)

I'd like to learn how to change the pictures to make them internet ready. Maybe I didn't say that right, but I think when I send on AOL it converts them to a smaller pixel size. or makes them send faster. when i look at my pics 100%, i have to scroll down and over and cant see everything at once, unless i look at them as a slide show.

gosh, i just admitted on DG how stoopid i am ;)

Melbourne, FL

There is a program on Picasa to change the size of pictures, I'm sure when you begin looking around you will see it.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I like the Picasa one it is pretty easy but hate that I have to does one at a time. The programs available that do batch watermarks and aren't that easy to smudge over and still steal are so darn expensive. I have a good photo shop program but have yet to master there watermark!!

Phyllis - You aren't stupid. These programs can be complicated and you have to have an engineering degree to figure them out.

I agree with you Ronnie about having to do each photo at a time. I saw some of the batch watermark programs for sale on the internet. They run anywhere from $20 - 40 per program. It seems like there should be some way to create a watermark file that you can add to your photos. Though it would still be one photo at a time. Hmmm ...

gardenpom - No luck trying to change the photos in the collage option. Maybe that is why they keep updating this program. Users suggest options they would like to see in future upgrades to this program. I guess I need to write them with my suggestions! LOL!

szarvas, Hungary

Joseph,
Take a look at that !
It's not your pic ?

Thumbnail by dany12
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

It sure is...someone must have grabbed it off my flickr web site. Where did you find it, Dany?

szarvas, Hungary

In fact on the same site as the first, this guy loves your photos - it is a pleasure indeed!

http://8030.teacup.com/asagao/bbs

But I do not really understand what he is talking about.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Mystery solved: I sent that photo to him - he and I are friends and exchange email often. I hope to meet some day in person, if I get lucky again to return to Japan.

I discovered a watermark program on the internet that I have been using for a 30-day Trial. I think I may bite the bullet and purchase it. It's very easy to use and it seems to be flexible enough to allow me the options I wanted and can also do batch watermarking on a group of photos or a file folder of pictures! And it also saves watermarks that you make. That way I can just click on whichever watermark I want to use per a given photo. :-)

It's called Visual Watermark. And ... about a week after I downloaded it, I got an email out of the blue asking how I liked the program and if I had any questions or concerns. Now that is what I call service! :-)

http://www.visualwatermark.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.