Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

How do we feel about planting adeniums in Coconut Coir chunks? Do we likey or no likey? I'd like to hear what the adenium growers here think.

Quite frankly, I am afraid to repot my adeniums. Every time I have tried in the past, I've experience rot. I guess it might be time to try again, and maybe coir will help them to drain better. What do you think. If this has already been covered in the past, feel free to point me in the direction of the relevant thread. Thanks.

By the way, here is a picture from exactly 5 years ago. The adeniums are still in the same pots!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

wow Clare,
Mine rot while I transplant them too
Seedlings only though.
Mature 2 or 3 yr old plants transplant fine.

Thank you, Michael. That's good to know. When I tried a couple of years ago, a lot of them started to rot so I was afraid to try again. They are older now so I'll try again. I've mixed some potting soil with coir chunks, and so drainage should be really good. Hope you are well...

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Decatur, GA

I use coir but not the chunks. It is ground up and has to be soaked in water. It comes in a compressed brick and expanses with the water. I mix it with chicken grit (granite) and forest soil conditioner (no peat). It drains really well and the plant seem to like it - no rotting.
Helen

Thanks, Helen. I've been using it now mixed with Supersoil and perlite, and it seems to drain well and dry fast so I am happy with it for now.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi Clare, love your Adenium Desert Rose, really looks fantastic, do you have a up dated photo of the one on top since that one is five years old, the must be big by now. Looks like you got a really good soil mix for them, to bad I can't purchase coconut coir over here, they don't sell it locally anywhere so have to use Pro-mix instead and and an extra per-lite for drainage purpose, have to deal with what I got available.

Wilfred

Hi Wilfred. Thanks for the compliment! I am embarrassed to say that I lost a few to rot, especially when I started to move them to larger containers. As a result, I didn't transplant them until this year so the ones that survived stayed small. Here are some of them below. This is the first time that I've tried to coir. In hot weather, it seems to be ideal. It will remain to be seen what it does in cool weather.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Wilfred, you might be able to buy the coir online and have it shipped to you if you are interested. Here are some Dave's Garden members selling it on the marketplace: http://davesgarden.com/sitewidesearch.php?q=coir

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi Clare, there is nothing to be embarrassed off, even the most experience of us with Adenium Desert Rose Loose a few to rot one time or another, I would say you have done quite a darn good job for not having so much experience with them, in a matter of fact, you just need a few tips to make your look extraordinarily fantastic, I myself have lost a lot through the years do to rot and other things, Its has taken me 20 years to know what I know through try and error and still learning, not much information when I started 20 years ago, now I try to pass on to others what I've learned and to get good results without the errors I'd made.

Lets try something first to see if we can get thous nice plants you have to bloom like crazy, Try to purchase Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster water soluble fertilizer and for the first time only double the amount recommended ( instead of one tablespoon per gallon of water your going to use two tablespoon per gallon of water, remember, first time only, than use as recommended on label ) and drench the hole plant from top to bottom, make sure it come out the bottom. Do this first and latter on I'll give you a few more tips, make sure you have a camera ready when they start to bloom, would like to see photos of them in full bloom.

Another thing before I forget, to mush water can cause them to rot but to little water can do the same rotting affect. just have to water them good and leave them to dry between watering, not for to long doe.

Your Friend Wilfred

BTW, thank you for the site information for coconut coir, really appreciate it.

Thumbnail by WQP
Decatur, GA

My understanding is caudiciforms get bigger if you keep the plant in a small pot. Also the less 'soil' would mean the quicker it would dry and thus decreasing the risk of rot.
Any comments - exerience to back up or refute these ideas? I would like to hear others thoughts and opinions.
Thanks.
Helen

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi Helen, true to some point, there tricks in the trade that most people don't even know about, I would say the even though the pot influences in the plants growth, its more of what type of growing medium you use and fertilizers and some other things like how much direct sunlight, water, root hormones. If you ever seen one of those Adenium Desert Rose oriental sites in you tube who have dedicated whole nurseries to this plants, you'll notice they got some small plants in really big clay pots and they just let them grow for years, notice the the growing medium they use, happens to be coconut coir, sand, some gravel and some top soil mix, its not how much growing medium you use, its how well it drains and how much moisture it retains.

The biggest pot in the would is when you plant them directly in the ground, no limit to root growth, and believe me, they can get really big, some more than ten feet high with a humongous codex. pots retrain the growth of plants, example are the bonsai trees for one.

Another thing to keep in mind, always try to use clay pot, it helps in the drying the medium, plastic pot retain moisture and if your medium is not a good draining type it will help to rot the roots, that's were you would use less soil so it would dry faster.

Try an experiment if you desire, plant one small Adenium Desert Rose in a big big clay pot with a really good planting medium that drains really good and than plant another one the same size in a small pot with little soil. Now wait a few moths and see which one has grown faster and bigger you'll be surprise in the difference in size.

Another thing to consider is the amount of direct sunlight the plant recieves, if you place the plant in direct sunlight all day, you'll notice that the space between the leaves are much shorter and the stems are much thicker then if it was place in half day or indirect sunlight, leaves tend to be very separate and stems become lanky thus increasing the height of the plant, when you cut back the plant you get less branching also, further more this also affects the amount of blooms you get, less direct sunlight, less blooms and more direct sunlight more blooms.

Try this experiment also, put one plant in direct sunlight and another one the same size in indirect sunlight, water them, fertilize them the same way and compare them a few month later, put them side by side and see the difference in growth and appearance.

Hope this can help answer your questions or help you get really nice Adenium Desert Rose.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Decatur, GA

Thank you Wilfred,
Your discussion was clear and made some good points. I appreciate your input, your knowledge and your experience and your willingness to share it with us.
Helen

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Helen, BTW how are your Adenium Desert Rose doing, last time you posted photos they had lost their leaves, have they grown new leaves yet,
I know you got some really nice plants, can you post any photos of them, would like to see them.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Decatur, GA

Thank you Wilfred.
My Desert Rose has grown some new leaves. But no flowers.
It is starting to cool off here in my neck of the woods. Daytimes around 85 and nights into the 60s. Then with all the rain from the hurricanes, most of the plants on my porch are soggy and have stop growing. Soon I will need to start bringing plants inside or they are at risk of rotting. Some will grow and do well for awhile but later in the fall they all go dormant and rest until spring.
The plant on the left is Adenium boehmianum, the one in the middle is A. arabicum, and the one on the right A. obesum.

Thanks for your interest.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wilfred, I'm pretty sure you can get coconut coir at one of those stores that caters to folks who grow they're plants in water only, for the life of me I can't remember what they are called aqua planting or somthing like that, We have two here in the lauderdale area, I will try to find the name of the type of store and send it to you.

Decatur, GA

I get coir bricks on eBay.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Helen your plants look really nice and healthy, seems your doing good with them, have they bloomed for you.

I found a site on DG market that Clare_CA was kind enough to show me, will check eBay also. Hydroponic is the name of the method used for plant growing in water, Jim.

Wilfred

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wilfred, just as soon as I got up from the computer the word hydrophonic came to me, that happens to be when I shop for food also, leave the store and then remember what it is I went there for, I used to worry about it, but since I can still do a cross word puzzle every once in awhile I,ve learned not to be concerned.

Decatur, GA

Jim,
You are experiencing the phenomena called Adult Onset Attention Deficit Disorder or AOADD. It happens to some oldsters, myself included. For example - When I try and complete a task, say tidying up the bedroom, I start putting things away... when I take an item to another room I get distracted and start another project in that room, forgetting about the bedroom. Round and round I go... I spend my weekends like this. So far I am not afflicted at work. :-)

Helen

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Helen, I've had my doctor check me for the big "A", he had me recite the last 8 presidents, wow, when you get back to the Nixon years it gets difficult, but I was able to do it, of course that was last year, so I'm not sure if I could do it in order now if I had to, Too much thinking gives me a headache, and as long as I don't get lost going to the mail box, I guess I will survive. Sounds like a joke, but the women accross the street had to be watched, she went to get the mail and just kept walking.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Winfred, hope you check your "how to" thread, I have questions about careing for the seedlings, I guess I should have D-mailed you, but I wanted your answer posted so that others may have the information. Jim

Decatur, GA

PS. I was joking, there is nothing called AOADD.
My brother, who enjoys his beer, found a study that said regular drinking reduces a man's risk of developing Alzheimer's by 50+% and a woman's risk by 27%. I need to have a beer once in a while!!

Helen

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

helenchild, and I was thinking "OG, hope I don't get that, I forget enough things as is already and I'm only 48 " LOL! You got us, this time that is. I don't drink beer or any alcohol during the year except on holidays like New Years, etc..but I think I'm going to have to add a couple few day extra to them, maybe one.

Wilfred

BTW, Jim, I read the post on the "how to" thread, let see what I can do.

Thumbnail by WQP
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Helen, another study I agree with is that they now say chocolate is good for the heart! I think I'm going to give up my lipitor and go on a diet of dark chocolate, who knows, maybe thats whats kept me alive all these years, I'm a chocoholic and now don't have to feel guilty

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

A little happy hour on Friday nights is good. BUT I don't sleep well, always wake up in the middle of the night if I have alcohol, takes two days/nights to sleep all night again. fooey!

And about forgetfulness, how about children!!?? They say "Duh, I forgot" about fifty times a day!

OK, I'm fiddling with baby photos, and will post shortly.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

You can get coir at any petstore. I buy it at Petsmart. It's used for bedding of small animals. It's sold by brick and is not expensive.
Does anyone prune their adenium? I have two plants that have tall stems. Right now they have no leaves. One of them is starting to bloom again. I would like to see some leaves grow on them. Any thoughts on pruning or getting them to put out leaves?

Decatur, GA

Thanks for the heads-up imadigger about coir in petsmart. I go there a lot with two dogs, a cat and a pond full of koi.
I have wondered about pruning adenium too. I will see if anyone has a comment on the practice.
Helen

Thanks for the tip about the coir. That is good to know. I bet that kind has to be rinsed well to remove the salts before using on plants.

Yes, pruning is good to make a fuller plant and will create branches with leaves. You can root the cuttings. Spring is usually the best time to do this: http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/cultivation.htm#pruning

I pruned mine with the help of a friend here at Dave's.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

I love the little fuzzy red and yellow blooms Clare ;)

LOL, Michael!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Now that's a beauty Clare, fill a little envy right now, got anymore photos you've been hiding from us.

Wilfred

Hi Wilfred! LOL! That one just opened. There's nothing else spectacular right now, but this one has nice dark leaves.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Than you say your not hiding nothing else from us, Oh yea! than whats this! LOL! Spectacular plant that doesn't even need flowers on it to look fantastic, come on,you know you got more don't make me beg for photos of your beautiful Adenium photos.

Dose this plant leaves stay this beautiful dark color after the leaves have matured.
I'm going to have to try and negotiate for some cutting after the plant has grown big enough to take cutting of when its time to trim, only thing is do I have anything you miet be interested in to make a deal with by that time.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Hi Wilfred! I'll post some more pictures later when I get a chance to take some, but I think there are only a few blooming right now, and I think I posted all of them except maybe 'Harry Potter.'

There's no problem sending you a cutting after this one has had a chance to grow. I just got it last winter. We'll see how it does over this next winter. I consider myself a fairly experienced gardener, but somehow I manage to kill adeniums fairly regularly by overwatering them. I'm going to put them in a greenhouse this year so they should do better than previous years when I didn't greenhouse them.

I think the one with the dark leaves is called 'Nila Kaan.' The leaves do stay dark from what I understand. I got it here: http://www.snowbeltadeniums.com/ That previous picture is called 'Maroon Star.'

Your yellow one is lovely.

I have Nila Kaan also and love the leaves.
Its not known for spectacular flowers, if it ever blooms for you at all.
The leaves are a rarity and quite nice.
I keep mine in afternoon sun only to keep the leaves from changing.

Hi Michael, you're right that it's not a spectacular flower, but the leaves make up for it.

Here's a few more. This one is Sroy Raya.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Sorry that last picture wasn't a good-quality picture. Here is 'Taiwan Beauty.' More later...

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi Clare, sorry its taken so long to check your tread again, I have so many thing going on at the same time, lost track. love the last to you posted, specially "Sroy Raya". I you over water them often than you should consider to add extra per-lite to your potting mix, this will help you from over watering them since the medium will drain faster and dry fast to. That will help you a lot in keeping your DR from rotting.
Any cutting your willing to share with me I'll be glad to receive with opened arms.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Thanks, Wilfred. No worries about losing track -- it's a busy time of year for me too, and I'll probably disappear for a while. Thanks for the advice. I'm working on not overwatering them, but it is a process;-)

Decatur, GA

I went to the local nursery today and they had several nice sized DR. One was pure white and the other was solid dark blood red. They were kind of pricey at $20 each. After hauling in millions of plants the past two weekends... I resisted. But the colors were quit something.
Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.