oops not hot lava-hot papaya!!!2010

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

check the classifieds
ella has some for sale for those that missed it
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1020103/

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank You! Now, if they only had extra Hot Lava :(

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Me too, wanted extra Hot Lava! Came late in the co-op and was lucky to grab one Hot Lava through a counting error.

OK, they just contacted me on this and said that the actual ship date is the end of September, not the end of August. Do you guys think that plugs would be able to put on enough growth in that timeframe before winter to make it?

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

With these new plants they might not make it if you plant them in April.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Plugs arriving late in the season have to be planted in 6" or gallon containers and place them in a protected area for the winter.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i think a protected area and maybe some mulch! im giving it a try
I have planted stuff as late as October here-dont like to but sometimes i have too

I just moved 4BIG in bloom echs and they are all doing great!!!! tough plants!!!
just my opinion!

OH, I don't mind doing it now, even August, but the end of September is pushing it.

I decided to give them up. I can get these from MCG in Aug for only 4 dollars more total since they aren't charging shipping.

Still glad they offered it, though. Always good to see the co-ops working!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2009 8:16 AM

Tex

Are you saying a container and not in the ground? I would think they would have better protection in the ground in a protected area as opposed to a container, but maybe I misunderstood your post.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Either way - Funn. Delicate as they are, and being planted late in the season they just need some special care. If in the ground, just find a protected area and plenty of mulch. And make sure the soil is well draining.

What I mean by gallon containers - if you must plant them in containers, it is advisable to use gallon containers as compare to quart or smaller containers to overwinter. Plants overwinter better in bigger containers. Containers are also movable so you can place or hide them in protected areas.

Thanks for clarifying that, Tex

Huntersville, NC

good info

interesting LongBranch NJ is 7a but Durham NC is only 7b,

having lived in southern Jersey/ Philadelphia area
- and now im in Charlotte area - 7b
- the temperature/climate changes are a vast difference.

Im surprised how this zone -ing ''works".

alas - another 'Wonders never cease' moment.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Glee - Entire NJ used to be 6a/6b. I'm still confused because of the recent changes and the change of weather pattern, parts of NJ are zone 6 and other parts are zone 7. We live by the shore (Atlantic Ocean) - our winter is a lot warmer and that makes our area one zone higher as compare to inland NJ. Likewise parts of New York.

See, there are a lot of people in Jersey that swear that Gladiolus are not perennial in Jersey, yet where I live they keep coming back year after year. Actually this year I'm going to experiment with Dahlias. I'll dig-up all this fall but one and leave it in the ground to see if it will come back or not. Same as Cannas. Perennial to zone 7 but somehow even survives inland towards Philadelphia.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.