Pink Poodle...We Have A Problem!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I was wrong about Pink Poodle. I have only 1 out of 3 plants that are true to form. I think there is something wrong with the tissue culture or stability of this plant. Be very cautious when you buy this one....Some of them don't have the correct bloom form. They look more like Double Decker and not like Pink Poodle. I've heard others with this problem too now. I think Terra Nova needs to know about this. Here are some new pictures.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 8:26 AM

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac

Here's another one... (Sorry - I forgot to rotate the pic, but I think you can see the problem).

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 10:00 PM

Here's another one. Some of them look like this...

Huntersville, NC

you are correct - i think.

a relatively new hybrid - may display such - as one selects which plants to use for 'special traits'.
However, once the trait is selected and identified - the measured use of said trait is not always predictable.
i hope this is making sense . . .

yes - contact terra nova, with pics.

and thanks for sharing!

Looks like a bigger problem than I thought originally...Someone on GardenWeb has only 1 out of 10 plants that look like they should. The majority of these are not true to the pictures! I hope they solve the problem soon.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I only have one "Pink Poodle" and the first bloom is still in the process of opening. Here's what it looks like as of today.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Jon - I think your bloom looks like the correct bloom form. It will keep putting out petals in the top. The ones with the problem look like one row of long petals and then a gap showing a cone before the top shorter petals.

Yep, it keeps putting out more petals on the top. It's been in the process of opening for about 4 or 5 days now. It's a very short plant though.

Hopefully, these will grow in year 2. I deadheaded my good one so it wouldn't have to put so much energy into blooming.

Huntersville, NC

those demonstrating the bloom 'issue'
- are these first year plants?

a undesirable mutation trait may dissipate into adulthood but this highly improbable.

I would think everyone has first year plants since "Pink Poodle" was just released this year.

I think these are genetic mutants. LOL. Something went wrong in the tissue culture lab for sure. I'm just glad that one of mine is true to form and now I have one that looks like what the old Double Decker was supposed to look like.

Yep, some of them are "freaks". You ended up with a Pink Poodle and a Double Decker Snickerpoodle. LOL

Have any of you professional growers contacted Terra Nova Nurseries about this plant? If I bought 3 and only 1 looks correct, something major is wrong with this plant. Others are reporting worse results than this. The majority do not look like the pictures!

I think this plant should be discontinued until they can produce it true to form. I sent pictures to Terra Nova and they didn't even respond. I don't think they want to accept responsibility.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

echinacemanic. I haven't grown Pink poodle yet, btu wil try an dremmebr to call durign the week and see what they say the breeder is saying.

I do knwo I have been told that soem time sit cna take up to two years befor e soem of them relaly get into the swing of what they shoudl be doing and that major change sin weathe rconditions cna have an effect on the blooms performance.

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

I took a picture of my Pink Poodles that I brought in as plugs in the Spring. They are either the Double decker type look or the "Pink Poodle" look. Some of the Double Decker type are attempting to put out petals in the void area but they are small and not developing. We will have to see what year two holds.

Thumbnail by mcgper1

Yikes. My short Pink Poodle has put out just two blooms so far...both look correct though.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Are these blooms all from one plant or many different plants? Mine has all the advertised blooms but it was a larger plant to begin with and bloomed before the hot temps started, which was almost all summer up here as you know.

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

These are all from many different plants...one flower from each plant. I had others but didn't want to get carried away with the clippers...although I am thinking it is getting time to. I usually cut my plants back in their 4 1/2" pots to get more basal type branching...and help them make it thru the winter outside in those pots.

I sprayed with Configure at 300 parts per million and these are putting up several new basal branches.

West Warren, MA

Trying to grow some coneflowers and would like to know that "configure" is??
thanks...

Geraldine,

Configure is a synthetic cytokinin labeled for use on herbaceous ornamental crops as a branching agent. Configure interrupts apical dominance and stimulates axillary buds to break.

It's not something that is required for these plants. However, it is very helpful for some of the new Echinacea cultivars because they don't put up many branches around the crown of the plant. This causes them to make larger plants.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 1:29 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I think I'll wait until its more stable.

West Warren, MA

Thanks Clint!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.