Tod's 2009 Dahlias part 1

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well, I finally have my first bloom, and it came at the end of the memory card, so here it is, an unusually monochrome-ish Tartan:

Thumbnail by todgor
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That's beautiful. I'm just starting to get some blooms myself. Most of my plants are not so tall this year but it has been unseasonably cool here. I'm hoping for some heat in august.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Perfect bloom Tod. You can have the heat Erica. Give me 70's!

Can't wait to see more of your dahlia bounty Todgor. Can one shoot over a camera card without losing any quality or is there a limit on that?

I suppose I could get a bigger card, but I procrastinate. I usually get 100 pictures or so on the 256M. I've learned that I have to get at least 2 pics of anything as I will screw up one of them. :)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty Tod!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very nice. I love when the petals look hand painted like yours do.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I luv the shades!!!

Its really less reddish and more deep purple, I just can't get the camera to do that right.

Coushatta, LA

Tod,that is beautiful.....love the color of it..

Coushatta, LA

Tod are you using bamboo as stakes?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lovely dark bloom Tod!

I am using 8' Takiron metal stakes, they really stay put in the wind. Thanks for all the compliments! I have a lot of buds, should be more blooms soon.

Coushatta, LA

Tod,when are you going to post some more of your beauties?

Filling up the camera now. I only have two more finished blooms yet.

Coushatta, LA

All right.....can't wait to see those beauties,Tod.

OK, time for more - here's Anna:

Thumbnail by todgor

Bob Fitzjohn:

Thumbnail by todgor

Candy Jayne:

Thumbnail by todgor

Clearview Snowcap:

Thumbnail by todgor

Elsie Huston:

Thumbnail by todgor

Kenora Macop B:

Thumbnail by todgor

Masurao:

Thumbnail by todgor

Mingus Ida:

Thumbnail by todgor

Mom's Special:

Thumbnail by todgor

Behold the horror! A two-headed Regina - yes, two flowers, one Siamese bud:

Thumbnail by todgor

Wyn's Radiant Star:

Thumbnail by todgor
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hooha! You've got some beauts there Tod, even the two headed monster! I'll look more tomorrow, but Clearview Snowcap gets my vote- so hard to pick a favorite.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

They're all so lush. I also like the two headed one but Anna is my favorite of these - it makes me smile.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow-what a variety. I'm not usually a huge fan of the white ones, but I LOVE the form on Snowcap. Also, Bob Fitzjohn is a very pretty blush color. I think that Regina is very cool.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mmmm, hard to pick a favorite when they're also so lovely, but the striping on Candy Jayne is very appealing to me. Thanks for sharing Tod!

Joanne

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Now I really like Clearview Snowcap, Mingus Ida, and Kenora Macop B and am intrigued by Masurao. Tod are there a few white petals on Masurao or is that just the underside looking paler than the beautiful red side?

Still like the incredible two headed Regina too!

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Tod where can I get Elsie Huston? My mother's name was Elsie and I would like to plant flowers with her name in the culivator name.

Annie, that is the underside of the petals. The buds fools me every time as they are way too light to end up bright red. Mindy, Elsie Huston is at a lot of sellers:

Arrowhead Dahlias, Aztec Dahlias, Banner Flower Farm, Clack's Dahlia Patch, Corralitos Gardens, Dahlia Dandies, Dan's Dahlias, Endless Summer Flowers, Frey's Dahlias, Hamilton Dahlia Farm, Hilltop Gardens, Homestead Dahlias, Jan's Country Garden, Mingus Dahlias, Mohawk Dahlia Gardens,
Pleasant Valley Dahlias, Sea-Tac Gardens, Accent Dahlias

http://www.dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for that info Tod. So the undersides are a paler color and then upper petal side ends up red. Tricky!

Just my two cents: on the Big List varieties, if you see many sellers carrying a variety, it is bound to be a great dahlia either by virtue of the quality of bloom, the number of blooms, growth habits, or keeping power. There are plenty that are worthwhile that are carried by only a few but the more, the merrier also applies here, I think.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Great, photos, Tod. One of the ones that you gave me is a Masurao. I can't wait for that to open. It is only about 4 inches tall. I broke the original stalk and it took awhile for it to sprout a second one.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info Tod I'll be checking it out later when I have more time. Margaret

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Mindy03-I have Elsie right now and it's growing well. If it survives Florida "winter" and makes nice tuber babies, you are more than welcome to have it.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Thank you Carrie I would love to have it when you are able to share.

I would offer my Elsie tubers, but it has a virus. I have seen it in previous years, and it hasn't spread for me, but I wouldn't want to take the chance by offering them of spreading it to someone else. Pesky insects do this.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

That's OK Tod I just wanted to know where I could buy them and figured you would be the most able to tell me. I'm still checking that big list out since I have a large family.
Margaret

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images