Hamilton, OH

My plan is to collect seed from the variety of plants i have and seed some indoors in the winter.. and then stratify some next year. Hoping for some crosses.

Question 1- Do the pom pom or now the pink poodle varieties make viable seed?

Qustion 2- If i collect seed from dried flower heads now... and come the fall... want to get a jump start on next years seedlings, how soon can i start them inside under a grow light bank? And do i need to chill them?

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I put mine in the veggie drawer in the fridge in zip/lock bags until about November/December. I plant mine under a 400 W grow light.

Pink Double Delight and Coconut Lime definitely have viable seeds. Pink Poodle is not going to produce many seeds. I have one that has a gap between the top and bottom petals. I might find some seeds in there. LOL.

I planted a bunch of Echinacea paradoxa crosses last year. Only 2 of these seeds germinated. I have two plants that are growing very well and very thick. They still haven't bloomed yet, but they are starting to get taller. When these bloom I'll post a picture of them.

Boston, MA

So it is worth saving seed heads from the Pink Double Delight?
Ayah

I think it's worth it. You'll get some interesting plants from them. If you don't like some of them, you can either toss them or give them away. I gave several away last year but I kept some that I really liked.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I thought that collecting seeds from what I assume is a hybrid Coconut Lime wouldn't grow true. Am I wrong? If I am, I'll be collecting some seeds too.

They won't come true from seeds.

Boston, MA

How do I know which Echies will grow from seeds. Is there a list anywhere telling which Echies will grow flowers from their seeds. I thought a hybrid flower would not produce any flower at all. I guess I'm just confused on this issue.
Ayah

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.