August - how do you make the best use of your garden space?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks. I love pretty things and adornments that catch the light and the eye. Lately I've been doing a lot of reflections in water photos and they're frustrating but great fun when it works out right.

Thumbnail by pirl

This reflection of a Japanese iris is one I liked as well.

Thumbnail by pirl
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's one of the new arbors, Evey (and happy birthday again):

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's the other. They're exactly alike. There was a white one here before, but it started falling apart and getting rickety. Jose is repairing it so that it can be used in another part of the garden.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

He added lots of rebar to the bottom of the posts so that they wouldn't fall over in a windy rainstorm, which used to happen regularly to the poor white one.

Here's a closeup of the middle panel. Neat, huh?

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Baton Rouge, LA

Oh, I love those, Zuzu! And thanks for the bday wishes. =)))

I'm going to swing by our Lowe's stores tomorrow and see if they have the same one marked down here. I'm still looking for an arbor to put over the gate between the pool deck and the service area. Did those arbors come pre-assembled or in pieces? I'm thinking I could use the pieces separately, much like I have the 10x10 gazebo broken up as two arches.... over the secret garden gate with jasmine and clematis and over the church pew with roses. I could use the two panels of that one from Lowe's positioned sideways to flank each side of the existing gate and then mount the top on extended fence posts directly over the gate.

I'm trying to go through all my photos and find the ones of garden art and the secret garden to post in this forum. I think I need a better system for saving pics on the computer. They're all just by dates and now I have too many to remember when things were photographed. It probably would be faster just to shoot pics again tomorrow rather than searching for the old pics!

Baton Rouge, LA

Okay, found a few. We have a typical, small suburban lot (75'x150') with lots of the concrete slab that Pirl hates so much! The house is large for the lot, and there's also a pool hogging much of the space in back. So, to make the best use of the little space we have, I have the yard divided into garden rooms... each with a specific and distinct feel. One corner of the back is filled with a high raised bed made with manor stones. It's filled with a post lamp, tellises, roses and scented geraniums. I call it the English Garden. I'm still hunting for a photo of that.

The other corner of the back has been dubbed the Cali Corner. It's filled with a mix-match of many plants... clematis, jasmine, daylilies, roses, Louisiana iris, ajuga, ice plants, Euphorbia, pelargoniums, and sedums. In the center of the Cali Corner is a brick landing that we just made this spring, along with a fish-shaped chimenea that I converted to a fountain. The corner is flanked by large rectangular wrought iron lattice that will one day be covered by Confederate jasmine and crassifolia.

The covered patio just off the pool deck is filled with small, potted succulents. This is the best place for them because the sun comes in sideways at full strength in the afternoon, but the frequent rain doesn't hit them to cause rot.

Between the covered patio and the house is a very large live oak tree and two pink sasanqua trees. Underneath these is a brick courtyard with picture windows looking out from the house. In the courtyard, we have a short wrought iron fence, lots of shade plants underneath the oak, and a small pond with a waterfall. This is one of my favorite places in my yard because of the small wooden deck that goes over part of the pond. When I sit on that deck (yes, cross-legged like a child), it instantly transports me back to my childhood. The rocks in the waterfall are from the Ozarks, where I spent many happy weeks during summertimes with my grandparents. And the sound that the water makes lapping underneath the small deck as the waterfall creates a ripple sounds just like the dock at the cottage where we used to stay. Truly, this tiny spot is instant bliss for me. =)

Between the courtyard and the carport, I converted part of the driveway space into a landing with pavers and placed an old pew. Unfortunately, after almost 30 years outside in our harsh weather, this pew and it's mate (which is in the Secret Garden) are beginning to fall apart. I will probably dismantle them soon, cut down the rotting areas and attempt to put together a smaller version of each with the cypress wood. Annnnyway, flanking this pew is a container garden. There's enough space to drive in and out of the gate and put cars in the carport, but it gives a nice sitting area right outside the courtyard for when we have parties. We typically put the cars outside the gate on the driveway then and use the carport as a serving area, opening up a large lattice gate in the carport right next to the pool deck. This way, it's all opened up for people to move around easily between the driveway, courtyard, covered patio and pool deck.

On the other side of the house, we have a service area for the pool equipment toward the back, and in front of that we have what I call the Secret Garden. The dining area by our kitchen has large windows looking out both directions... to the courtyard and also to the opposite side of the house. In the 50+ years that the house has been here, nobody ever put a single plant on that side of the house! The view from the window was the driveway, blank brick wall and tiny bathroom window of the house next door (not exactly the view I wanted). My son gave me the sweat and labor to make my dreams a reality for Mother's Day one year. Here's a view of the Secret Garden from the entrance:

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 11:00 PM

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

Here's a view from the back of the garden:

Baton Rouge, LA

Here's a small sunken fountain that is just inside the front gate of the Secret Garden:

Baton Rouge, LA

Here's the bubbling birdbath in the Secret Garden:

Baton Rouge, LA

And here's our sundial that's definitely showing its age. This was the very first piece of garden art that hubby and I bought... when we lived in Married Student Housing on the LSU campus. I'll never repaint it because the wear and tear on it reminds me of all the things we've weathered together too.

Baton Rouge, LA

This is what the side yard looked like before the project started:

Baton Rouge, LA

And here's a pic from when Brad was constructing the entrance gate and arbors:

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

That sounds like a great idea, Evey. They came in a box in pieces. Not a lot of pieces, just the two sides, the top, and some hardware. The only problem you'd have is if they've run out of everything but the display arbors. Those would be assembled, of course, so you'd have to dismantle them for your design, but that wouldn't take much effort for a lady who does her own plumbing.

You'll have to name your photos or at least put them in separate folders according to categories.

Just as I was about to send this, you started posting your wonderful photos, so I thought I'd wait until you were finished. That Secret Garden is so wonderful, so French Quarter!

Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks, Zuzu. I need to take some photos when things are in bloom in the SG. Now that I have clems planted and the roses are blooming more, it's a much more colorful view. =)

I'm going to have to speed over to our Lowe's and pray that they still have those arbors! We have three Lowe's stores here and one in Gonzales (about 20 minutes away), so hopefully I can find one tucked away at one of the stores. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: I just checked the online listing for Lowe's and your arbor is showing in stock at all three Baton Rouge locations (yay!), but not showing as on sale yet (boo!).

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 12:29 AM

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Well shoot Zuzu, I love that arbor, just the perfect size for a spot I need one too. Now I'll have to check my local Lowes early tomorrow morning before starting work.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey, Sue, while I was at Lowe's I also bought this cute new furniture for the shady spot under my black walnut tree. Roger and Mambo were enjoying the shade in this location today too.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

ohhh, very nice, I like! Classy looking.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Zuzu the arbor is wonderful'
I love the arts and crafts metal insrt.
Rebar saves the day.
I used it on the trellises I bought from Smith Hawken.
Now they are out of business and I cant even buy some of their freestanding trellises and edging.
Kick myself for not splerging when I saw them.

Happy birthday, even if it is a bit late.

Zuzu - love that seating arrangement and your arbor. We bought a trellis last year (still waiting to be installed).
This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:49 AM

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:50 AM

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice trellis Pirl

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi:
I took pictures of "Caged Perennials" using objects other than comercial plant supports
Here is the Phlox David in the HD garden edging cage.
I just use black cableties to keep the sides together.
Its hilly there so the hooks thst came with the edging wouldnt stay in place.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the birch branch table base I use to keep tall dahlias from flopping over.
This end table had a removable top .
I know some plants are escaping but they are shorter varieties in the 5 bulb collection .
Its "every plant for themselves" back there.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 7:47 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836

Great idea for keeping the David phlox standing tall, Jo Ann.

You could tie the dahlias to the table if you think they'd snap off in a wind storm. I can't believe how often I go out to tie mine up again. 'Tis the season where they reach for the sky.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll say.That is my only objection to Dhals.Pot ones and border dahls are fine.

I may return to the store where I bought the most recent trellises and buy up their stock. The taller dahlias would look so much better with a trellis holding them up than rebar.

Baton Rouge, LA

Jo Ann, I do the same thing with the alternative uses. The arbors over the entrance gate and the church pew in the Secret Garden above are actually the corner pieces and cross ties of a 10x10 stand alone gazebo that was marked down ridiculously low at Wal-Mart two seasons ago. Rebar stabilizes the one over the pew and black aluminum fence posts stabilize the one at the entrance gate. Now that the climbing roses over the pew have grown much larger, we're going to add the two remaining cross pieces this year from the outer edges of the arbor over the pew to the brick on either side of the kitchen window, so the view will be surrounded by roses. I'm also planning to hang the mosquito netting that came with the original gazebo around our covered patio area. I've been trying to think of a way to make that look attactive and now that I saw that pic of the grape vine arbor surrounding a front porch on another thread, I think I've found just the "extra" I was hoping for. Gotta play around with that after we finish building the front garden!

Here's another recycled piece... a neighbor had thrown out this chimenea and hubby brought it home. I was shocked, as he used to tease me for my trash to treasure efforts. Now he's into the spirit of them! I turned this one into another sunken fountain. The water feeds into the back, spills out of the mouth of the fish, and exits to a basin hidden under the rocks. This pic is from when we had just planted the Confederate jasmine and crassifolia.

Pirl, your trellis is from the same line as Zuzu's arbor. Wouldn't that be funny if everybody here had the same one?!

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 7:54 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Gosh, if everyone gets the same one, we could build a clubhouse in my back yard and read our comic books out there.

That chiminea is fabulous! And the idea of using a fish for a fountain is just great. I love it! I see nice chimineas all the time and never think of buying them. I'm always scared the cats will burn themselves on any outdoor cooking or heating device. This opens up some great possibilities, however.

'Cept we need to hire that plumber from LA!

LOL, comic books! Maybe this would fit the bill. :-)

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

...a DG outdoor sleepover at Zuzu's...culminating with everyone singing "Kumbaya"....in their jammies...

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Margaritas for all?

Baton Rouge, LA

LOL! That's really ironic that the first thing I read when coming back online is about margaritas. Hubby made some tonight using son's recipe. Unfortunately, he did not realize that Brad's recipe calls for the margarita mix that does NOT have tequila already added. That small detail makes a HUGE difference. I am again able to read (4 hours after my margarita)... =P

P.S. - I am very blissful at the moment.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 11:46 PM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

LOL !

Baton Rouge, LA

Ohhh, forgot to mention... Lowe's had the arbor and the trellis today when I checked, but they're aren't on sale here. Booo! Sue, were they on sale at your Lowe's? I'm too cheap to buy them at full price!

And I slept in too late and then worked all day so couldn't get away, boo hoo. Plus I am leaving for vacation on Sat so can't afford it anyways, so maybe it's not a good idea to even go look.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Excuse me, Ma'am, but didn't you just get back from vacation? What a gadabout you are!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am going to have another tree cut down and there is talk of moving this bear to the new stump, leaving this one bare ,no pun intended.
I was thinking of a arch or trellis of clematis for the spot.
Any other ideas?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

here's the picture

Thumbnail by ge1836
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I love that bear. He looks so good with those poppies. Why is there talk of moving him?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.