August - how do you make the best use of your garden space?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dang! I missed the whole party...again. I'll have to learn to be a night owl.

How about a big honey pot for the bear, Jo Ann?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

DD mentioned moving her when we agreed to take down another tree.
Since SIL and her will be doing the moving of this 200 pound object, there might be a NO vote in there somewhere.
She is already bent because I am paying someone to come and cut the tree down.
"Cal and I can do it""We have a chainsaw"
I said I didnt think Cal was overjoyed at doing ALL the big jobs around here. "They'll be in, cut the tree down and put it thru the chopper and the driveway cleaned in less than an hour"
The look of relief on his face said it all.

I bet! Can't you keep the chips?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I doubt it as Cal likes a clean place.
He is very sweet and doesnt say much but I can tell he is thrilled when the 2 yards of mulch dissapeared into the gardens this spring.
I have 2 yards of compost comming late October,right after the tree comes down. Then I'll be hauling and spreading, Sarah has to do her own beds.
We just dont make enough compost as fast as we use it.

We run one way or the other - too much compost or not enough. This is the year of too much so I know what I'll be doing IF the temperature and humidity cooperate.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I know Zuzu, but DH is making me go on our annual trip to visit his family in Canada. We missed it last year because of our son's wedding. I love it up there but I just got home 2 weeks ago from that last trip with my Mom & brother, I am burnt out of living out of a suitcase, just want to stay home. Plus I don't do stress so well lately and this is staying with my in-laws. ;-)

Baton Rouge, LA

Pirl, I love that idea of putting a honey pot by the bear! Couldn't you just imagine Pooh-style honey pots planted out with annuals scattered around the flower bed with JoAnn's bear?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

HE! HE!HE!
Cute to be true.

Sue - enjoy the trip. Where in Canada are you going?

I can imagine lots of different sized honey pots in the garden with Jo Ann's bear!

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:50 AM

Straight up north pirl, north of Vancouver. We take a ferry to cross a peninsula and the family live in the small towns of Sechelt & Halfmoon Bay.
This is the view from my sister-in-law's kitchen window, pretty disgusting huh?!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, Sue. That view even makes up for time with in-laws.

Sue - it's breathtaking. The things we have to put up with when it comes to family!

I know, woe is me! Then we have to go out fishing in father-in-laws boat, sheesh.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Agony, pain and suffering. What we women have to endure!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

OK Sue...you've been having entirely too much fun lately !

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Not tooooo bad Sue

I know, I gotta do what I gotta do. ^_^

Baton Rouge, LA

I'm exhausted tonight, but checking in to say "Howdy doo!" Today, we were busy making more garden space (as opposed to best use of it!). Note to self: Next time you rent a sod cutter, do NOT go for the "junior cutter".

The idea was that I would use the "junior cutter" to cut the sod and hubby and son would do the rolling and removal. We thought we'd get soooo much done today. HAH! "Junior" must mean you have a junior-sized peabrain to choose that one, as it didn't have enough weight in front and therefore bounced me all over the place while trying to keep the blade down. The back and forth of the blade soon became the back and forth of my shoulders and then spread down to the rest of my body. I suspect that to passersby, I looked like I was doing some sort of weird ritualistic dance while traveling up and down my front yard! Unfortunately, the dance must have been a rain dance, as in the middle of the cutting, with sod still not rolled, a sudden rain storm rolled in. Ever tried to roll and lift wet sod? Yeah buddy, I was a popular lady with the kinfolk for choosing today for this project! By the time we were done clearing the sod for a modest 6' x 75' front bed, we all looked like we were ready to enter the pro arena for mud wrestling. If the neighbors didn't think we were insane already, then we have now removed all doubt. =P

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I laughed several times as I read your post, Evey, but I think the funniest part of all is your description of a flower bed 75 feet in length as "modest."

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

sounds like quite a project

We've removed a lot of sod to create our gardens and while it's easy to plan a garden the sod removal is hard work. What are you doing with the sod you removed?

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:51 AM

Baton Rouge, LA

I'm definitely aching today! We began the process of leveling everything nicely for the border today, along with some other general gardening. It's been so hot here lately and a few of my newly planted roses are showing the stress... especially a few that got overspray from a neighbor in the corner of the yard (in noon sun... lots of burning).

Pirl, we didn't know anybody who needed sod when we were ready to strip it, so son and I just took the rolls to the collection spot for yard waste. There's a collection spot for natural waste (grass clippings, tree limbs, etc.) that is recycled to new uses. The fill dirt and things like that are used toward coastal restoration. Our old Christmas trees are recycled this way too. Limbs and cut trees are chipped up for mulch to be used in public gardens.

And yes, Zuzu, I guess modest *might* not be the best word choice there! A lot of people were slowing down to see what we were doing today. A garden close to the street (or actually anything that isn't a foundation planting) is not very common in our neighborhood. We had the same kind of gawking going on when we worked on the Secret Garden too. People had looks as they drove by that seemed to say, "Wait, you can use that strip on the side of your house for more than just a woodpile and a fence?!?!" Just wait til we start constructing the accent fence out front...

Pirl, this truly makes me think about your neighbor with the stone fence looking out of place. I am probably that person for our neighborhood! But, I can't be exactly like her. I may not have taste, but I don't have money either! =P

We had a similar experience here when we had almost all the green meatball shrubs removed at each side of the courtyard to make a rose garden and a Japanese iris garden. The reaction was identical with many neighbors: Flowers? In the front of the house?

Since we're on a corner we have another front side to the house and we stripped all of that grass and made a daylily garden. People always stopped to chat but the actual neighbors were aghast...until they bloomed. Now we've deleted many of the daylilies and may have a dozen left since we planted more Japanese irises and hydrangeas.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is where I just put in DL's 20 plants a conservative count.
Its the new Woodswalk garden.
Neighbors are cool about my going on their lawn to take pix.
They dont garden but always compliment me on the flowers.
They raised 7 kids, no garden time and now her 88 year old mother is living with them.
She is so sweet and askes Ginger (her daughter)"Is that a woman in the garden?" This would be mid winter when she sees the bear statue.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

woops wrong pic
The DL's from Pirl are along the stone walk and in a semicircle around 6the end of the last stone.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

All my good dl's came from pirl, so the ones you got should thrive for you !

I still can't wrap my head around properties not being separated by fences or block walls...it's a foreign concept to me. That's the first thing people here do: Fence off their exact boundaries to within a fraction of an inch.

Such sweet people!

Thumbnail by pirl
Baton Rouge, LA

Mike, same here. Most people have fences. Our neighborhood is 50+ years old, and you can bet at least one person who has lived in each house along the way had a dog that needed to be corraled or a pool installed... or both. It's pretty easy to tell which neighbors installed them and which didn't too, because you'll find houses that have three sides of their fence that are three different materials (from the other neighbors who footed the bill).

Pirl, why did you get rid of so many of your DL's? I'm just wondering, as we're about to plant quite a few of them in the front.

1. Deadheading was a major job - two hours a day in peak season.

2. Deer.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There is a covenant for this development.
No walls or fences.
The 20 year old spruces are doing a great job as far as privacy goes.
All the neighbors on this end of the road are really great and not uptight about boundries.
The lot is approx 1/2 acre so there is lots of space.
I try to make the view for the neighbor as pleasing as I can and dont go into our hot tub naked duering the day which helps.

Ha!

Baton Rouge, LA

GE, so does no one have a pool in your entire neighborhood?

Our lots are small in comparison. We'd feel like we were living on top of our neighbors without some visual break from them. Honestly, I'm glad we have fences here. It provides some solace and peacefulness in the garden, so I can be alone and collect my thoughts in beauty. It just wouldn't feel the same if I was sitting out there looking at my neighbors' cars in their carports behind my gardens!

I know you asked ge and not me but...for the five built-in pools around here the fenced pools are mainly in the back of the properties. The one property that couldn't have their pool installed in the back (due to being waterfront and short on land at the rear) put theirs in the front surrounded by 10' tall shrubs and it cannot be seen at all.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I know of three pools and they are all in back yards.We are required to fence by law.
Those fences are the exception to the rule.

Baton Rouge, LA

The laws and safety of surrounding children were my concerns... not privacy. Here, we are required by law to have a 5' or higher rigid fence around our pool. It was quite a problem after Hurricane Gustav because many people lost their fences in the storm (including us). Most of the city didn't have power for two weeks, so hardware stores were either closed or had very limited hours. Fence companies couldn't keep up with the demand and insurance companies were breathing down everyone's neck to cancel coverage if fences weren't erected immediately.

Arlene, your neighbors with pools don't have any protective fencing?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Many of my neighbors have horses, sheep, and other animals you wouldn't want running through your gardens. The lots here are fenced, but I'm the only one in the neighborhood with a fence in front. I have a fairly tall fence on all sides to keep out the deer, not to mention the neighborhood dogs that escape their own yards and decide to frolic in my fish ponds and play tag with my cats.

Even though the other homes here don't have a fence in front, most of them do have fences farther back on their properties to close off their back yards. We have strict leash laws for dogs, and without the fences, the poor dogs would have to be on leashes even on their own property.

Yes, the pools are all fenced.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:52 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Our house is in the upper right hand corner of our 1/2 acre lot ,at an angel, no room for a pool and besides the last kid is off to college in Sept.

Baton Rouge, LA

LOL, I wanted a pool for future grandkids and for us! There's nothing more relaxing than floating around in the pool looking at the gardens. And, when I'm feeling particularly lazy, I can exercise in the pool... it's so much easier on my creaky bones than running. I like having a pool at home too because we can jump and dive and do whatever we want without the lifeguard saying "no jumping!" So many public pools have gotten rid of their diving boards due to insurance issues. We moved less than a block from our prevoius home to this one because it had a pool. There was no way to construct one on the lot at our old house without tearing down structures. Though, I suppose in NY with a shorter summer, it might not be worth the effort. We can swim in our pool from April to at least November, and sometimes even later in mild winters. And with the jacuzzi heated, we can use it year round.

Here most of the pools are heated. One veteran of Viet Nam lost a leg so he uses it for exercise. Another woman has arthritis and was told to swim daily. The rest have kids and/or grandkids. In our town there are more permits issued annually for pools to be filled in than there are for new pools to be installed. My daughter has a lovely pool but since we have no interest in it we've never used it.

My friend, Lynn, had a pool, had it filled in and now has a gorgeous garden.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.