Blooms, finally

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm sorry I haven't posted any photos. My mom has been sick and I haven't had much time for photo taking.

Here's Spartacus.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Fire Mountain

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Fire Mountain again. It has such pretty foliage.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This white one was in a bag of clearance bulbs I got at Walmart last year. I have no idea what it's named.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

The white one again with a red one from the same bag and blue butterfly bushes.

Thumbnail by hart
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hart, my spartacus never was that pretty. What a luscious red!!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

So pretty. I do agree that the foliage is gorgeous on Fire Mountain and Spartacus is certainly a winner.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's actually a prettier red in the flesh. It's hard to capture on camera. I have lots of buds on the others so I'll try to find to post photos as they bloom. I missed on earlier bloom on one of the ones Tod gave me. I saw the bloom, just didn't have time to photograph it.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh my! I ADOOORE Fire Mtn. That deep red with the dark foliage...I think it just shot up to my Top 5!!!! Must get that next year-good job!

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Those are really pretty reds, looks like I need to find those for next year! The white ones are nice and full, too. Is that a Stargazer Lily behind it?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Your garden looks and must smell delicious with the butterfly bush and lily in bloom. That Spartacus is a marvel! Much nicer than mine ever grew.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Spartacus is awesome!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes, that's Stargazer. That bed where the white and red no name dahlias are planted is right next to my kitchen and back door. The scent from the lilies was wonderful. My OTs were blooming before the Stargazers started. I've never noticed much of a scent from the butterfly bushes, I'll have to check for it tomorrow.

Here's the OT lilies in that bed.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Closer view

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This is my favorite OT lily. It also smells heavenly.

Thumbnail by hart
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

wow, that yellow looks almost like butter! I planted Stella D'Oro lilies, but they haven't bloomed much this year. We've had so much rain, then really hot and dry spells inbetween, the poor little things don't have a chance! I haven't planted any butterfly type bushes, I live in town and haven't seen any around, but they sure are pretty, especially those red ones (not sure of the name). You have a really pretty bed with nice plant selections!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luv the reds hart!!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, y'all. Kizmo, the flowers in the photos are lilies. Stella is a daylily, not the same family of plants at all despite the name. I like those too. I'll post a photo of one below for you. This is one of my favorites, Dragon King.

I took some more dahlia photos this morning and I'll post them when I get a chance to download them. Something is chewing on one of them. I've been so busy with Mom, I haven't had a chance to spray anything in weeks. Hopefully I can get that done today or tomorrow before I have to go back to Mom's.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, more photos. This is AC Garfield. Isn't it pretty? Pretty big flowers too, maybe 7 inches across or so.

Thumbnail by hart

Lovely!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

This is my poor AC P. Something is eating it. I haven't had a chance to spray for weeks but I'll try to get that done this weekend. Note the Spartacus in the background. That's the best capturing of the color of any photo I've taken.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This is the dahlia bed today.

Thumbnail by hart

Oh no! I never got to ordering that one but wanted it for my SIL who has ACP as his initials!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Mingus Julie M. This was the very first dahlia to bloom - it had buds when it was only about a foot tall. I missed getting photos of the first blooms, though.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This Mystic Moonlight is huge - the flower is about 10 inches across and not even quite opened out completely. I love the color. It was hard to shoot because this first bloom is sort of inside/under some other stems and buds.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Spartacus again today. It's not this red, but a really pretty dark red/burgundy.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I've had this white dinnerplate dahlia for years and years. I've never dug it up for the winter, just left it in the ground and it comes back every year with more and more flowers. These blooms aren't big but eventually it will have huge flowers a foot across. I have no idea what the name is.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Not a dahlia but a double lotus from my water garden. Pretty, huh?

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Pirl, this is what AC P is supposed to look like. I love the colors and the form.

Thumbnail by hart

Wonderful photos, especially Spartacus. I originally saw ACP on Accent Dahlias.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's where I got mine. That's his photo above. He has another one, I've forgotten the name, that's a little more pink than the red/orange of AC P, you might want to look at that one too.

I'll try to get a photo of Spartacus when it's fully recurved back to form almost a complete ball. I picked the last bloom when it got to that point to take to Mom and didn't get a photo.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

So gorgeous-How funny, AC P and Spartacus are on my list to order (from Accent) for next year. Cameras are funny with dahlias-the pic with far away Spartacus is more it's true color, versus the up close one. I wasn't too interested in AC Garfield until I saw your photo. So much prettier than Accents photo-it's such a deeper reddish orange. So, I will add that to the list. They should pay you for your picture, because you def. sold me! I've never seen Mystic Moonlight, I'm in love with and will order that one, too, if I come across it. You've got some beauties-I want to lay in your garden and make dirt angels!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I was really surprised by AC Garfield, I thought it would have smaller flowers and be a bit shorter and the color is prettier than on the website. It's about as tall as me right now. Mystic Moonlight looks pretty close to the photos at Wyn's Dahlias. It's one they bred. The stalks on those Wyn's dahlias are unbelievable - they look like tree trunks. LOL

While you're making dirt angels, could I tape weeding tools to your hands and feet? LOL

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

these are really gorgeous blooms! Do you all order your bulbs from the same supplier?
I posted pics of the newest blooms of my orange/yellows on this thread, in case you haven't checked there:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1023924/

We may each order a few from the same places but I'd be willing to bet that as a group we order from many places.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I ordered a few from Wyn's and a few from Accent and got many from Tod's giveaway. Late in the season I found some on clearance on Ebay for very cheap and received very nice multiples of every one I ordered. Those were planted pretty late and haven't started blooming yet.

I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper to order from one place because of shipping but this was my first year putting in a large dahlia bed and I found some I wanted in one place, others with the other place. Then I got all those wonderful tubers from Tod and was able to put in a really big new bed.

Those are really pretty Kizmo. I usually don't like the ones that are yellow and red together but yours in the bottom photo is the first one I've seen with that color combination that I like.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous blooms, hart. It's so great to see that your newly created bed is bearing beautiful results! Accent is going to hear from me again this year too. He is starting to hybridize more of his own varieties and has quite a few dahlias I'm interested in. Like all of them :)

Wynne's tubers: I'm having trouble with rot in theirs this year, in our driest and warmest planting season in memory with scant loss of either my own or others' tubers, so a small word of caution there. They stand behind their goods 100%, but what good does it do you have to wait a whole year to grow what you wanted this year? Their blooms that grow are usually magnificent though.

I ordered from Lynch Creek for the first time and one of them was England's Glory. It comes with a warning that it's hard to grow and hates humidity. Hello? I am surrounded by water! It's happily growing in the rose garden and even has a bud. Yippee!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Way to go Pirl! Sometimes the odds can be defied. I like that they were honest about a particular plant.

Me, too. I'll give their catalog first shot this year just because of their honesty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.