Has anyone built a planter using WonderBoard?

Portland, OR

I think it could look cool and industrial. Anyone tried it? I have a rectangular area about 6 feet long and 18 inches deep at one edge of a paver patio that I want to fill with 2 or 3 rectangular planters about 24 inches high. I would probably put wire mesh on the bottom and use drought tolerant plantings.

Orlando, FL

I constructed a series of six raised garden planters from Wonderboard.
The corners are 1.5" x 1/8" aluminum angles, which were the most expensive part of the entire installation. The aluminum corners, however, make installation a breeze: they are longer than the Wonderboard sides and once the sides are cut and held in place using clamps, you just slap the angles over the corners and hammer them into the ground. No other fasteners are needed because the truncated pyramidal shape is inherently stable, and once you fill the planters with soil, the soil pressure keeps the Wonderboard sides in place. Trellis for tomatoes, beans, or other climbing plants can be readily provided by lighter grade (1" x 1/20") aluminum angles.

Thumbnail by LordofBaltimore Thumbnail by LordofBaltimore Thumbnail by LordofBaltimore Thumbnail by LordofBaltimore Thumbnail by LordofBaltimore

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images