Answers to questions and concerns ...

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Some questions have been posted recently and I thought I would start a thread to address some of them.

And just to clarifying things ... I am NOT the head honcho on this forum. Hardly ... but I am certainly not shy about answering any questions that are directed to me. There is no "leader" on this forum that I am aware of ...

This is the thread to post any questions or concerns you might have that relates to this forum. :-)

Just remember ... let's be polite and play nicely with others!

Thumbnail by beckygardener

I have been asked numerous times about past members that used to be on this forum. If they are still on DG, I would suggest you contact them by dmail.

If they are no longer part of the DG family and you have their address, email, or other information, then contact them that way. They may or may not respond. Please respect their privacy at all times.

It is not my place to relay current information about them without their consent. So please don't be offended if I don't.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2009 10:52 PM

Photographs.

Photographs that you did not take, should NOT be copied and used for whatever reason without the written consent of the owner of the photograph. I hope that is understood by everyone.

I've had people request the use of my photos and have given my consent if they were used in a manner that I approved of and credit was given to me for my photograph. This holds true for photos posted on DG as well as other online sites.

Be respectful of other people's property. Photos belong to the photographer who actually took the picture!

This message was edited Aug 8, 2009 8:39 AM

Seed and plant requests.

Trading and sharing of seeds and plants is probably done on many of the plant forums here on DG. The typical seed trades for a particular vine/plant here on the MG Forum is usually 5 seeds. Sometimes more if the person has a lot to share or is cleaning out their seed stock. Less than 5 seeds if the seeds are rare or the owner has few seeds to share. Many people also share seeds for postage on this forum. I believe the majority of folks on this forum are very generous and love to share seeds from their vines.

Also please be aware of prohibited seeds and plants being traded/shared. Don't accept or request prohibited plants or seeds to be sent to you.

If there are any OTHER agreements concerning plants or seeds ... that is between you and the other party involved. I urge you to consider VERY carefully before you agree to any terms or conditions other than the typical trades and/or sharing of seeds/plants. No one should feel coearced, harrassed, or lured into any agreements or conditions.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2009 10:04 AM

New names for hybrids.

Currently, there is NOT a Morning Glory Society. Therefore, there are no patents on any hybrids. But ... it is seriously frowned upon if others take credit for a hybrid that they themselves did not create or discover. If you grow, share information & photos, and later trade/share/sell seeds/plants of this cultivar, please give credit due to who originally created it!

ANYONE can create or introduce a cross from their own grow-out of a MG plant. Be it by hand-pollination or open pollination.

If you get a cross from an existing cultivar or hybrid, then feel free to give it a name if you discovered it! The best names are descriptive characteristics of the new cultivar linking it to the parent plants. But keep in mind ... most names only stick to that cultivar if it proves to be stable in future generations. (The typical number of grow-outs to detemine if a cultivar is stable is 3 generations - F1, F2, and F3 ... though sometimes more generations are needed to determine if it is a stable cultivar or not.)

This message was edited Aug 8, 2009 10:05 AM

Birmingham, United Kingdom

1) What about people who use Dave's Garden as a platform to sell what they grow on Ebay?

2) What is the situation with when a new member starts d-mail and e-mails get fired around from "certain people" not to trade with that person for no apparent reason? I can say this happened in my case and a few cases.

4) What about people who lurk here who get other people to post for them?

Rareseedman - In answer to your questions:

1) Many folks here on DG do sell plants, seeds, and all kinds of gardening supplies. DG even has it's own MarketPlace for folks to do that. I have not heard of any members who sell on eBay, have their own online business, and/or have a nursery where they sell ... being prohibited from sharing information and photos about their plants and business. If you look at the top of this page, you will see a DG tab for Products and Sources where these business are often listed. If there are DG rules governing this, maybe someone who knows will educate us.

2) I would suggest if a member gets such dmail warnings to go directly to the person referenced and just politely ask them. I know this has been a problem and I myself have been caught up in such situations, but I think it is unfair to judge someone by hearsay. When it involves trades or buying from someone, it's always helpful to check feedback on the person in question. Of course, newbies may not have had time to build up good feedback, so perhaps the best attitude to take is "give them a try and see what happens". In most cases, both parties will be pleased.

In some cases, a person may have had bad feedback in the past for whatever reasons. If their feedback has improved over the past year or so, I would say they are probably a good person to trade or buy from. So don't hold the past against them. Everyone makes mistakes and can learn from them.

Folks - this is why it is a good idea to leave feedback for others and request they leave feedback for you as well. I, myself, have slacked off from leaving feedbacks and that is something I am going to make every effort to do again. If I have traded with you and neglected to leave you feedback, please let me know and I will address that promptly!

Also, something else worth bringing up ...

I post lots of photos and limited information on my garden blog/journal here on DG. If you see photos of a plant that I have and contact me to request seeds/plants, do not be insulted if I decline. IF ... it is NOT listed on my trade list, I am not obligated to share this plant or seeds with you. In many cases, I will. But some plants are rare and/or I have a limited amount of seeds to share. I will tell you right now that the folks who actually participate here on the MG forum usually have first option with me. If I have enough seeds left over, then I don't mind sharing for postage or trade with newbies or lurkers. :-)

3) People who post for others? I don't believe there are any DG rules against doing that. As long as the posts are written considerately, there shouldn't be a problem. That's between the postee and the lurker.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2009 12:34 PM

Thanks for that; I hope now that all the old members can return and feel comfortable posting

As VDU's apparently can cause pre-mature aging of the skin I can see myself aging 20 years in 6 months.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Becky thanks for starting this thread very well spoken with great tips and advice....

I too hope the oldies (lol) come back.

I agree with you on the trading department...I will share whatever I have but I to will go to the participants that join in first.

I think a lot of posters that had problems with some members just choose to stay anonymous for there own sake, which is unfortunate for some since they have a world of knowledge (not to mention seeds LOL!!☺) to spread!!

I hope to see some of the lurkers out there start joining in and share there experiences, it is a great forum to belong to.

I use my own judgement on trading and who I trade with. I will accept opinions as we all have our experiences and then decide for my self or look into things further it need be. I would like to know if someone has been burned on a trade, sometimes people just don't bother with feed back. Some of my seeds are few and hard to find and I just don't want to trade them for any ol thing but I certainly don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Sometimes I'm just not ready to trade and I think traders should be able to understand this. I am not being selfish just frugal!! LOL ☺

I do think some restraint should be made on posting about trades going bad. Take it up with the trader not everyone else.

I also try to remember that not everyone is into technical detail(like me!) and if we all just try to make each poster welcome and comfortable regardless of there knowledge or lack of it it would make a much better forum!! We all come from different walks in life, different parts of the world and all have different ideas opinions and knowledge, working together is what makes it all go around!!

I ♥ this forum the posters and my morning glories and I certainly ain't going anywhere!!

JMHO!! Ronnie♥

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Becky~~ I'm so happy that the MG Forum came up with a Sticky since it did seem that so many FAQs needed some answers!

.....So I happened to be checking up on morning glory info and came across this thread. Looks like some various issues have popped up here since I last posted a few months ago.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the point to those that may be new to DG that you don't really have to 'join' the morning glory forum. I think it's a matter of just 'posting' your queries or thoughts and hoping for some replies.

That is, it's not 'exclusive' and there is no 'vetting' process to qualify as a poster as far as I know and everyone is welcome to participate a little or a lot. It is nice to join/subscribe to Dave's Garden (and actually pay something) to support the DG Website, though.

I like the Morning Glory forum too and find it most interesting. Thanks, everybody.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I think this is just dandy and heart warming. Everybody who has time will come back and post this and that when they have a notion or they can ask a friend to post something for them if time is a factor. Karen

I think the plant files are good as well to look at photos, most of the species and cultivators are there, many times I just use the "search forum" button and it answers my question or points to a specific species so I don't need to post at all.

It's nice to have my own photos on my phone or PC as a screen saver or wallpaper so I can enjoy them on the go as well or show them to friends and colleagues and say that's what I have in my garden.

Also see essential link here on water marking photos http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1018732/

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 7:27 PM

I truly hope the forum is inviting to ALL whether they are new to MGs, been growing them for a few years, or are an expert in the field! I invite each and every one to join in! Pop in from time to time ... or stay for a while!

T- Glad to see you posting and lifting us up with your encouragement!

Karen - I am glad you feel comfortable enough to post again.

RSM - Hopefully everyone will take to heart the suggestions listed above in this thread so that everyone has a warm and fuzzy feeling here. :-)

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 6:49 PM

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, I`m very comfortable and have been a part of this forum and a Daves Member sinceJune 04, 2006. The reason I`m gardener2005 is because that is when I started gardening a Lot more than the container tomatos and side walk petunias.

I was going to let my membership lapse because plant care is very time consuming but a dear friend bought me a membership and asked me to post. It`s wonderful people like her that keep me coming back. Karen

edited: correct date I subscribed here on DG.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2009 1:42 PM

szarvas, Hungary

Karen, Happy to see you again here on DG.

Dany

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

I'd like to plant some mg to climb the 2 large trees in my front yard so I have a couple of ?'s. Will they grow up the tree? The spot doesn't get a lot of sun. Will it harm the tree?

Thanks for any input or advice.

Thumbnail by LollyJean
Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

This is the second tree I'd like to plant mg near. If it's a good idea to do, will I need to put any support for the vine to grow on or will the mg attach itself to the tree?

Thumbnail by LollyJean

LollyJean - Nice trees in your yard! I haven't personally grown any MGs up my trees, but I will offer a suggestion. And hopefully others here will give you some ideas as well.

If you feel that any vines planted under these trees will not get enough sunlight, then it might not work out very well. But ... in the early Spring before the trees get their canopy of leaves, you could try planting some Ipomoea purpureas and Ipomoea nil seeds around the base of the trees. These are annual vines and will die off at some point, so they won't harm your trees. I believe the vines will naturally wind their way up and around your tree trunks and hopefully out on the limbs. If you plant a number of seeds, it should make the base and the trunk of the trees very lush with MG leaves which would certainly be attractive. The vines will need root room and some good soil as well as regular fertilizing to hopefully get blooms. You have little to lose so give it a try and see how the vines do. Good luck! If it works out nicely, I hope you will post a photo or two to show us! I would love to see it.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I like this forum. I believe the most people are very nice in answering questions and giving information
When asked. i love MG forum and Dave"s Garden. the pictures are nice too and give you ideas of what would be
nice in our own gardens. So I thank you all for helping us stay on an even keel. Charleen

Yes everyone is so nice here maybe in the past there have been a few misunderstandings but I am sure those have all been cleared up now.

The seed season is amongst us and I am sure there will be photos of many blooms and the glories of summer

I have started collecting MG seeds for the trades. Basically, this is first time collecting MG seed.
Some of my seed were NOT black like the others. Sort of a cream color. Are they alright,
Is this normal? They looked just like the others except for the color. should I keep them?
Or keep them seperate?

Light and dark seeds are normal as long as the pods were ripe when you started collecting them. There are numerous MGs that produce very light to darker tan seeds, so you are probably fine. You might want to seperate them and put them in a paper envelope for a week or so to make sure they are completely dry. If not, they may develope mold on them.

I have them in a plastic flower pot to dry, have not seperated them yet. I have lots more to collect yet, I haven't got the top of the trellis yet.
i have to get a ladder for that and that is where the beautiful dark purple ones are. I still have the envelope they came it. so I can use that
so I know they are "Giant, Mixed Colors." They are too. Have really enjoyed them.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I love vines in a tree... Mine growin the old pear tree every year,, and up the old sycamore, along the fence, up a phone pole, heck.. anywhere I see a tall somethng for them to climb, I am gonna plant an mg... thanks for this thread, becky, I hope to see everyone sharing information and posting pictures again, and already enjoy the posts of the glorious morning glory..

I will have plenty of mixed morning glory seed. They are still blooming their little hearts out. Lot of the leaves are
yellowing and the feel of Fall is in the air. I believe we are all ready for t. Next spring I am going to plant somme on fences
and the other side of the trellis. Thanks for the help, you all always come through.

It does seem that the season is starting to wind down.

RRM - I hope you might consider trying to grow a pot of MGs indoors over the winter. They need a sunny window. It made me smile every day as they bloomed. I have some starts that will go in pots ... hopefully this weekend. By the time I get home from work, it is getting late and I just can't get out there to play in the dirt ... or potting soil! :-)

These beautiful vines sure do "grow on" you! :-)

seems like my season is still going.. my grow outs are going to bloom before the frost .. "ahhh .. when the morning glory dies, then so shall I ,said the oak tree to the wind..."

Oh yes, I am going to start some MG in pots, and I will take pic, I am going to
put them in an east window. That should work, huh? I love playing in the
dirt too. Been planting this week plants from friends from DG. Such great people.

rides. have I sent you any seeds yet? plz dmail me.. I have not been home enuff to remember who I am to send to and who I did send to and who I havn't yet. Not associated with this thread, but maybe another thread?

Sunny window works the best in winter. :-) I will be growing indoors again this winter, too! Love having MG blooms year round! :-)

I know this has taken a while to answer, but i do not believe I have any seeds from you Debra.
My cousin just sent me some Lupine seed from Alaska. Would you be interested? They are purple and not
a MG but you are welcome to have some.
I have one of those fuzzy ones from Lazlo and want to start some this winter to see if I can do it. Becky has encourage me to do so
and I believe I will. Is it too early to start now? I want a grow light. i give a hint to my DH and maybe he will get me one.
This is a pretty MG I took pic of this morning.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Ronnie, in response to Post #6924710, how did you do the little hearts?

Becky, great thread!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Daniel, hit alt and hold then the # 3 on the number keyboard on the side. It doesn't work with the #s across the top ♥☻☺♦♣♠◘ Play around !

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

☺☻♥♠♣♦◘○

can't do that with my lap top! LOL

#$% ^_^ *
me neither, with this

ROTFLMBO!!! ♥☺♥☺ (I had to release the number lock on the computer keyboard to get it to work.) And Ronnie is right ... you have to use the numbers on the right side of the keyboard normally used for accounting instead of the #/3 key at the top of the keyboard.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

That stinks gals☼►♫♪‼

◘♥☺☻♥♦♣♠
◘○○◘♠♣♦
That is ssooo neat!

well.. I am not going to the computor n da basement.. I would not come up until day break prolly.. LOL
question: what about the invasive thing? If I send something I consider invasive to everyone, I am putting a big red ! on it ..can't make a circle with a slash across it..

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.