coneflower seeds

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

being a newbie to coneflowers and gardening altogether ....my question is ,,where can i purchase a wide selection of coneflower seed to sow this winter for next year...
and................

what other flowers would you group the coneflowers? for that nice full look you see?

jmr

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

janemarierose, you may be able to trade for some of the newest varieties out there...just remember they more than likely won't come back true to variety but you may get some interesting flowers/forms from those seeds. Don't waste your money on seed from the newest varieties.
Most of the species seed will come back true to form as well as all the ones Echinaceamaniac sent you to on that web link.
Echinaceamaniac can also be a wealth of info if you want to try and cross your own.

Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

Echinaceamaniac, do you have any pictures posted of your coneflowers? Janemarie rose and I are "green" to coneflowers. Janemarierose, check out the "winter sowing forum" too on coneflowers - Echinaceamaniac showed it to me and it's fascinating - how to winter sow for spring babies! Can I ask another coneflower question - does it matter if I plant different varieties side by side? I think I read where they get weird if you do???

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

You can mix and match them anyway you like. I have them everywhere of all shapes, sizes and colors.

I have pictures posted all over. I think I might take too many photos. Lol.

I'll have to watch for your photos. Where about in Tennessee is Brownsville? Must be a bit warmer than us as we're in Z5 or Z6, depending on which map you look at (half hour north of Kansas City, MO). Thanks for the advice as I really want a whole area just for coneflowers - all colors! I'm so hooked...! Was at Lowe's today and saw the Coconut colored one - pretty - I'm still kinda partial to the pinks and purples.

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

oh, i'm a first year coneflower'er.... i pluck a head off that was black and dried up yesterday and took it apart..then looked up what the seeds should look like,,,and i did not have any in my pile of mess from that head,,,,so i'm not even sure if i'm supposta be a gardener yet...lol

my gardening venture really started 'cuz my son moved out and them announced he was getting married in dec...so i was either take up a hobby or lay down in bed and let the depression take ahold of me....SOOOOOO long story short i repaired the relationship with sonny boy who is the manager at lowes ( got the low down on destressed plants) and started a new hobby.... I also took an real interest in contaner gardening once i ran out of room, dirt, and energy...

sorry for the long post! lol

jmr

Me too - empty nesting with a hubby, two dogs and four cats so container gardening turned into a huge hobby - we have a fence going up in a month so I can garden all over the place now. I'm hooked on coneflowers and want a huge bed just of them!

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

elvis is my little helper...(shih tzu) and eeyore is my big foot plant musher ( big baby basset hound 7 years old) we are up and out at 7 either gardening (weeding, trimming, watering or errands) and go normally no-stop til dark ( we break for lunch) it does seem like the days are getting shorter though = (

What am i going to do with myself once my plants don't need me? I'm statrting to get nervous......

jmr

Just get a grow light and grow flowers in the basement like me. Lol.

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

what kind of set up would i need to do that? Where would I purchase supplies? Mini pots, special soil, lights?

would you have a picture of your set up for me to refer too?

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

and wouldnt i just start them 6-8 weeks before planting outside? That would leave the whole winter with nothing to do...
I've had indoor plants before and had little tiny bugs,,,whats up with that??? how do I avoid that???

jmr

I just use a 400 W metal halide light that someone gave me. I grow my houseplants and a few Echinacea cuttings under it in winter. I just hate winter so I need to grow a few plants indoors. It's not necessary for the Echinaceas, but I'm extreme in my Echinacea addiction. I can't explain it! Some people buy cigarettes and 12 packs of beer....I buy Echinaceas. :)

If you really want to grow a bunch of seeds, try Winter Sowing. Here's a link to that forum. This is addictive so be careful. LOL.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

i've read thru that forum...i have it on my watch list ..is there a forum that shows you how to set up a in-door sowing system?

jmr

Echinaceamaniac, do you have better results winter sowing with germination or do you prefer to grow inside? I think I'll do both simply cause by February I'll be needing to see some green! Do you have a photo of what you use to grow inside? You are right about the winter sowing forum you sent me to - I was up at 6:00 this a.m. and have been laying here reading thread after thread...

I have better germination with winter sowing. I've had to give away plants because I had so many germinate. It's also easier to do.

How bouts you moving to KC and sharing? :^))

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

the waiting will just about kill me i think..lol

now do the plants have to be outside or can they be on a unheated porch that? although no snow will get to them...

jmr

They will be outside in the cold. They will germinate earlier in the containers and the container acts like a mini-greenhouse for the plants. It really works perfectly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.