Time for a new chatter page....

I love boxwood hedges>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Bump

and an opportunity to post a photo>

(Zone 9b)

I imagine your back would be gone if you had to prune that, Dale!

Glad to hear you are back in your garden, Debbie! I know that is more fun!

Janet, I would never go hunting with my husband. He is of a different political persuasion than I am which is the cause for any marital strife we ever have had. During hot political times like now, it is almost a blood sport in this house. I was just crying to Brinda just this morning about the man. How he could think the way he thinks I know not. A gun in his hand when near me would be scary. Though he would say the same for me esp since I am much more vocal. LOL Anyway, he is sheer perfection other than that rather large error in his brain synapse function. LOL

Your coleus look great Portiaraylee. I was thinking I need to stop mixing my own mix. Yours sound like it would be acidy. I bought those moisture holding granules at a big expense I might add, as well as Osmocote and about 4 kinds of soil and mixed them all together for my basic container mix. All my annuals died in it over a couple of weeks. I was so very sad. So I emptied many out and started over again. I wonder if it was the Osmocote that burned the roots and killed them all.

I have a huge pot garden so it entails lots of soil. Here is just part of it yesterday. 3/4s of this shot are all pots. .

Thumbnail by Kell
Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Dale
What is this? I NEED IT!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6946494

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What is it?

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

Kell-

I'm too lazy for alot of pots, so good for you anyway. yeah, mixing soils can be hit or miss. i've found drainage is so important in containers... i don't like the look of perlite, but i add it. i don't like the soilmost granules very much- although some have success with it, i don't. it always makes my pots overloaded with moisture. supposedly they absorb excess, but i find root rot when i use them.

funny about you and DH- my parents argue over politics alot, and while my mom doesn't care so much, my dad is quite diehard about his beliefs LOL.

dale-

boxwood. i love how they look, but i'm too lazy for pruning too. i think i'm paranoid because when i married my husband, i inherited 2 clunky, overgrown arbor vitae on either end of the front border that had been cut down weirdly over the years, so despite my landscaping efforts, the house looked like it was framed by two margie simpson beehive hairdo's- ridiculous. hard to explain without a pic. too bad i didn't take any LOL. bad memories. now it looks sort of bald, and i need some small trees on either end, but now i can't decide which shrubs or trees to put there. right now, of course, it is coleus land. but as i get lazier with gardening (which is directly proportional to the speed at which my toddlers can outrun me) i can't do this every year. my new coleus philosophy is dig and plop wherever there's 1 foot of space LOL.

is that mountain laurel? pretty...

back to filing...

joy

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Looks like a pink azalea to me.

Chris

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Kell & Joy

I have three hedge trimmers, two gas, one electric. The big daddy of the bunch has a reach of 5 feet and the head swivels 180 degrees, with it I don't even have to bend over.

To all,

The photo above is a deciduous Azalea, in London, in a park across the street from Buckingham Palace. If you get a chance you should go see it, Mid May is the best time.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Thanks Dale
I think I'll find one closer to home:-)

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

wow dale. them's serious hedge trimmers!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Personally, I like the 'house'.

Hap

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Kell,

I have switched completely to coir for all my potting needs. It is lightweight and I can store 5 times as much in way less space. I will not ever be lifting those heavy bags again!!

Coir drains fast, but holds the moisture. I just started using it about 6 weeks ago and the things that are planted or started in it require a lot less watering.

Check out the self contained garden thread for more info.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Dale, I must say you have the most amazing pictures.
Why or why was I not born rich?lol

Thumbnail by LindaCA
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love polymer gels in my containers... been using them for 3 years.. even the bloom master containers have gels & slow release fertilizer in every layer... I think they help big time

I have to try coir a bit more... I actually wasn't too happy the way some seedlings grew in the one tray with it... maybe a beginner error though

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Kell, I love your pot garden. Now why does that surprise me. LOL And yes, I am in my garden again and loving it. How are you feeling now?

Debbie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Onewish,

All my containers are on a micro mist system. Watering happens once or twice a day, depending on the size of the containers.

Large containers once a day>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Smaller pots twice a day>

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

we just installed micro sprinklers this year... all drip irrigation lines... still playing with how much water everything needs... there are still quite a few of my containers that can't be hooked up to the lines... unless we do a lot of digging across the lawn (tons of rock and slopes here)... so most likely won't happen completely and getting them down from my block retaining wall would be ugly ... and the only other option would be to go under my deck and somehow hide the lines coming out the other side and that is the main walkway and would be an eyesore ... there are so many boulders under the ground in that area I couldn't even put in a sheppard hook half way down.. had to see me try though.. stick it in and 2 inches later... THUNK... I gave up trying after 15 mins... and I ended up bending the hook... pretty solid under there

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I just bury my lines under mulch sometimes. I don't have a photo of the process

so I will post this one instead>

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

across our long bed... that is what we did... this will give you an idea of what the area is like... off my deck

the photo is before anything was planted... after we installed the new retaining walls

Thumbnail by onewish1

I use the polymers when I plant cuttings outside in the earth. They still want watering and the irrigation system gets the majority of them but not around the front steps or in the courtyard so they still require hand watering daily. It's one of the more pleasant chores though and I really don't mind it in the early morning before the day heats up - then it's a pain.

(Zone 9b)

Joy, my problem is that I have no room for all the colorful annuals and so many other plants. My ground is so planted to over flowering. LOL I meant flowing but like the concept of over flowering. I am truly a plant pig.

Another friend thought too maybe my roots rotted from the moisture gel. I went thru many $15 bags of it. I think it is called Soil Moist that I used.

Dale, come on over. I have a few hedges to trim here! The one in my courtyard is almost to the top of the porch which means about 4 feet too tall. My husband must be on strike. I would love your big daddy of your bunch!

Juanita, what kind of coir do you buy? Is it the stuff in the small bales that swell so much when you add water? Just straight coir? I heard it has an affinity for salt so it grabs it from the fertilizers you give it and it stocks up to lethal levels. I just bought bags of stuff called Nutra Peat that has lots of coir. I am adding it to my potting mix hoping it will hold moisture but not make it too acidic. I hand water everything here so I hate doing it daily though by August that is pretty much the need.

Thank you, Debbie. I love color. I am almost guaranteed to buy a plant if it is full of color. LOL I still have stitches on my nose! They come out Monday.

Love your containers Dale!

Onewish, I bet your garden is incredible. Can you post some pics? I love the woods as a backdrop. A friend of mine is in NJ now visiting family. I bet he is chopping down on Jersey tomatoes and Jersey corn. Nothing like it!

Have you guys seen Nuclear Fusion? I think it is an ugly coleus.

Thumbnail by Kell
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Kell that is an ugly coleus. Never thought I'd say that.

The coir I am using is from Spray N Grow. I bought mine there because they worked with me on a deal for a large order for my company. I plan to use this exclusively next year in all containers for clients. The thing I like the most about it, is that it is light and reusable. It will naturally decompose over the course of several years. But unlike the heavy Miracle Grow potting soil I have been using, the coir can be recycled from year to year with just some added nutrients and new product. Some of the kinds I looked at are higher in salts. Some are naturally lower because the husks are left longer for the salt to leach out in the rain or whatever.

The cuttings I rooted in it as a trial are doing excellent. It is loose and holds the moisture. It also has antifungal properties and is supposed to reduce the fungus gnat issue. Since I overwinter so many coleus the fungus gnats are the pits here. I did a lot of research on this before I decided to switch over. It is apparently not good for some things obviously like cactus, but for the uses I have intended I think it will be great.

Juanita

(Zone 9b)

Sounds like it has some great qualities. I bet the local hydroponics store has your brand.
They seem to carry a lot of coir.

I really like the reusable part. I struggle to bring home tons of 2 cubic bags of soil and then the next year I struggle to make room for it all as I toss it in my greens garbage can. All that money tossed out every year. My husband thinks I am nuts to want new soil every year for my pots.

Is this it?
http://www.spray-n-growgardening.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GROBRIC&top=10

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

That's it exactly Kell. I deal with the same issues here. DH goes crazy that I dump all that soil in woods every year. And frankly, I am getting too old to carry that heavy crap around by myself. :))

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you Kell... I have to take some updated full shots but I have a few

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

at the moment we have our awning rolled out.. can't take the photo from the window the blank slate was from

Thumbnail by onewish1

Wonderful, Allison. You have two green thumbs!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you Pirl

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I can say this view looks nothing like it this year... those straw flowers are in this area.. nice and full this year

Thumbnail by onewish1
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Kell, you have one big beautiful "pot" party going on there in your garden.
I love seeing the results of your plant finds and so talented artistic touches. I want to grow up to be a Kell gardener someday!

I use to throw away my used Pro-Mix, but when I got to needing 3 to 4 bales of the stuff, I studied the ingredients. Why didn't I do that from the onset? duhhh. What shocked me was the growing elements I felt my plants needed, I was providing by the use of Osmocote and Miracle Grow. Now, I reuse what is salvageable at the end of the season, for the following year's plants, and see absolutely no change in the health and growth of my potted plants. So now, I only go through a couple bales of Pro-Mix per season. :) One year I tested the moisture holding granules in several pots and had 100% failure. The retention of moisture caused root rot in all of them - so much for that nonsense.

Here's a urn of annuals that only gets topped off with new Pro-mix as needed - at least 6 years of seasonal use.

Tussee

Thumbnail by tusseemussee
(Zone 9b)

I can tell so much work has been done in your yard, Onewish! I love your stone wall. I am so envious of all your great room. What fun you must have creating such a special garden place.

Hi Miss Tussee. You are so funny. Thank you but I so want to be you! You have the BEST taste ever.

I wonder if Pro-Mix is so much better than what I use. That is hard to find here. A couple of years ago I got a bale but I may have gotten the wrong one. They have a few variations I believe. Maybe I should try reusing it again. I never would reuse it for brugs because of viruses but I should try t for all my other plants. I really do spend a fortune of dirt esp now that the usually price for 2 cu ft is over $10.

Such a beautiful urn! 6 years is so great.

I think I had the name of this one which was my favorite until I found my new favorite (the story of my fickle life). But now I have no clue what it is named. I think Target calls it Sun Rose. That is not right. Anyone know?

Thumbnail by Kell
(Zone 9b)

I think I love yellow with pink and green coleus. Yellow is so cheerful.

Thumbnail by Kell
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Folks,

Kell, that is gorgeous. Especially with those beautiful daisies next to it.

I've been reading the chatting and must say I reuse soil all the time. As long as it's not too old and I had no problems with the plants, I'll dump soil into the big bathtub I use to pot in and just mix it up with a couple bags of new potting soil. Then I add some Perlite and a handful of Shake and Feed or Osmocote and plant away.

I wrote a message to Mom this morning and thought I'd share it with you folks. We had a very eventful day yesterday.

We have worked diligently on this blind for about a week. Cutting out the frame, then the plywood walls, and then the windows and doors... Making a floor and a roof... Then the painting... It's been a time consuming job, but one I've enjoyed seeing from start to finish. I wish I had taken photos of the progress each day, but I didn't even think about it until it was finished.

Well it's out there!!! http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4278904#imageID=78281708

We came back to the camp from putting the blind in yesterday afternoon. Robbin headed home. We were starving so we fired up the grill and fixed boneless chicken thighs and tortillas. Excellent eating. Of course, as hungry as we were, cardboard would have tasted great! We packed up everything but the 4 wheelers. Then we went for another drive to the end of the road. The evening was perfect for riding. We got back and loaded up the bikes. Got ready to leave and then...

Well maybe I should back up a bit... On Friday when we went out to put the blind in the woods, as we drove up to the camp, we noticed a BIG... I MEAN WAYBIGO... pile of what's called Washout. It's suppose to harden like concrete when it sets up. There were some pretty good size chunks on the pile of stuff. Rick tossed them up on the pile and we went on through. Our newest member Ken had one of his guys drop it off there to spread across the culvert and the "road" where we drive into the camp. Unfortunately, the guy hadn't spread it out yet, so we wiggled our way between the pile and the brush on the edge of the road. The guy is supposed to be out there today to spread it all out. We got through, with no problem... so we thought.

OK, back to last night... We were pulling out of the camp area and Rick was right next to the brush. I looked out and told him he had plenty of room (close to the hill of Washout). He said I'm worried about popping a tire.... No sooner had he said that, he got too close to a huge boulder looking piece of that stuff and I heard POP and then WHOOOSH as the air went out of the tire on the trailer. I should have kept my mouth shut and let him do the driving. Thank God the trailer is tandem axel and there are 4 tires to hold it up. The lease is about 45 minutes from home. It's about 8:30 pm and already dark.

We were able to drive at about 10-15 miles an hour until we got to Kountze. That was about 10 miles all together and took about 30 minutes to get there. Robbin called and offered to pick up Rick's 4 wheeler on his trailer. We sat and waited for him to get there. He loaded it up and took it to his house in Lumberton. That took about 700 pounds off the trailer. We were cruising at 40-45 mph now on 3 tires and were able to use the access roads to get home. It was after 10 by the time we arrived at the house. Needless to say, we were dead dog tired.

We will have to buy a new/used tire for the trailer before we can take it out again. I'll post a photo here so you all can see what the tire looks like. This was just one side. The other side was 6 times worse, but I couldn't see that until he pulled it off the trailer this afternoon. It's unbelievable we made it home without blowing out another tire.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Kell, I use Pro-Mix BX primarily because it is the only type available to me. It is also hard for me to find - only one source locally. Like you, I use so much of it each year for my brug. seedlings and repotting the old because of the viruses they can develop. Are you aware of the new baby
Panda at the San Diego Zoo? It's less than a week old and so tiny. When it is old enough, you are within striking distance to see it live. The mother has to be the best ever. She cleans that baby over and over every day like it has just come in from playing in mud. The cam will have to suffice for me, and when I'm lucky, I get a peak at the baby.

Tussee

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/pandacam/index.html

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

As promised a few coleus pics. I waited until it was too late and had to use the flash which didn't work too well.

Big clump of Watermelon which did good this year.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

This is one I need you to look at Dale. I really like it but have no idea who it is..

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

And this one too if anyone has any thoughts on the subject..

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
(Zone 9b)

I am typing 1 handed, rushing to dry my hair for we are off to go out to dinner with my son. Will chat up Miss Tussee later and Janet!

I am so excited for I think No. 2 is Shocking
pink. Which always confused me for it never was too shocking.

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Tusseemussee--your container picture was beautiful! Where do you find your Pro-Mix locally? Just starting to grow coleus, and need all of the help I can get.
Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.