Need advice on coneflower/daisy seeds/sowing please....

Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

I have seeds ordered and I plan to winter sow.... do these Coneflower & Daisy varieties do well winter sowing, does anyone know? I thought I'd try this forum first and then head to the winter sowing next ... any suggestions?
ECHINACEA, DOUBLE DECKER
1 PR1027B SHASTA DAISY, ALASKA JUMBO PACKET
1 PR6257 SHASTA DAISY, CRAZY DAISY
1 PR1028 SHASTA DAISY, SNOW LADY
1 PR5031 SAN 3 PR7136 TA BARBARA DAISY
1 PR823 ECHINACEA PURPUREA
3 PR9516 ECHINACEA, PRAIRIE SPLENDOR
4 PR827 ECHINACEA, WHITE SWAN
1 VN8600 BLACK-EYED SUSAN, SUPERSTAR ORANGE
Thanks, Cynthia

This message was edited Aug 16, 2009 12:29 PM

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have wintersown several of your varieties and they did fine.

You could always 'winter sow' half the packet and sow indoors under lights the other half if you were particularly concerned about crop failure.

But I would go over to the Wintersowing forum and post, too, and I'm sure you'll get loads of comments.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Cynthia, I don't have any tips on sowing the seed, but I just wanted to comment on plant combos with the coneflowers. I've had a number of them from the big sky series in the past 3 or 4 years, Sunrise, Twilight, Sunset, etc. When I started reading this forum just a week or two ago, it conjured up memories of the ones I had planted. Which in turn made me go out in search of them, many of which had disappeared, or so it seemed... I started to dig around and look under arching branches of my now mature large perennials and there they were, all tiny and stunted from lack of light. Well that got me going on another path, and that was to save the little guys and get them back out into the light of day.

Last Saturday I made a new Coneflower bed on the south side of my greenhouse. Just a small strip 15' X3'. I outlined it with the split faced concrete blocks to raise the soil level and filled it 8" to the top of the blocks with soil and compost. Now I have dug up and moved the Echinaceas that I had, and ordered 6 more. I decided on just a couple of complimentary plants and one of them is the groundcover, Santa Barbara Daisy, which I see that you have also ordered. That will be a nice neutral white and will stay very low to the ground. The other thing I ordered some Blue Flax seed (Linum narbonense), which will be the Blue color that I want to "cool down" those hot orange and red (Flame Thrower & Tomato Soup) coneflowers. The flax is a very narrow, very tiny leaved plant, that will just pop up inbetween the coneflowers, but does not have the bulk of may of the other perennials and won't shade the coneflower foliage. Both the Flax & Santa Barbara Daisies have a long blooming season, so I am hoping that this will be a complimentary combo. Here is a picture of a Blue Flax Flower - Diana

Thumbnail by CreeksideFarm
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow Diana, you are ambitious too! Be sure and take a "before" photo of your new garden to compare how it looks next year at this time - I bet it will be amazing! I love that blue flax flower - it's gorgeous! I'll look forward to photos and will research some of those you have! Thanks! Cynthia

Thumbnail by hanseycollie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.