POLL: How do you prefer your echinaceas displayed?

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

OK, I have got all of these echinaceas coming in, thanks to all of these coops and classifieds :~o and now I have to plant them all! So, I am trying to decide how. Here's the main question for you guys:

If you have more than one of the same hybrid, say three of each, and several different hybrids as well, would you plant each set of three together to make a larger display of each hybrid or would you mix it up and have one here, one there, etc in a big bed full of echinaceas? What do you prefer in your garden?

Either way, they are all going in the same bed, I want to be sure that I communicate the question correctly, it's just a matter of if I scatter them around in the bed or keep the same ones close together. I think I know what I want to do, but I want to put it to a vote. Thanks for the feedback!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I've been planting the reds, yellows and oranges in groups of 3-4.

That sparks an interesting thought or two. So, do you plant DIFFERENT oranges in the group of 3-4 or are they all the same orange cultivar?

Wouldn't that be interesting, to have several different cultivars of the same color in the 3-4 mix. Maybe 1-2 doubles and 1-2 singles that are all orange, for an example then move on to the next color. With all of the new cultivars, we can really get creative with our groupings!

Yes! I ran out of room in the new flower bed today so I'm planting them anywhere I can right now. Lol.

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

here's a few pictures I took of my coneflowers - Those are 5 Razzmatazz and 5 paradoxa that I planted together. I think I posted these somewhere else also.

Thumbnail by mcgper1
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have been making ECH gardens!!!
spreading and grouping and mixing and im addicted!!!!!

Another grouping of Coconut Lime, Kim's Knee High, a few Harvest Moon in back and to left and also Green Envy to back and right.

Thumbnail by mcgper1

You guys are just confirming my thoughts, they would have much more impact in LIKE groupings. Now it's a matter of do I go for color groupings or cultivar groupings. Decisions, decisions...

Warren, how many coconut lime are in that pic?

I wanna say 4-5. I used to plant one here and there for my plants but have really gotten into the mass type plantings.

Warren - that looks awesome! I hope my Fire Bed turns out so well next year!

Mac 'n Cheese caused me to be short of yellow. Maybe it'll bloom in year two. I think these plugs are sometimes in a stunted state. Configure is helping them all, but Mac 'n Cheese is a stubborn plant!

I received my plants today too. Wow! Thanks. I officially need to start another Echie Bed. I'll probably have to rearrange next year. I agree the mass plantings look so good.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2009 11:29 PM

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Nice grouping Warren. I agree with most that a planting of 3-5 of the same color plant if you can have them, makes a better impact and helps each variety stand out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.