cone flower plugs?

Sauk Centre, MN

hi... i got some cone flower plugs and I am wondering if I need to grow them in pots first or can they go directly to the ground. If they need to be in the pot first.... for how long?

thanks.... linda

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I planted mine directly in the ground. Others have good luck with them in pots. These aren't the easiest plants to grow in pots in my opinion. If you have two plants or more, try one in the ground and some in pots. Please post and let us know which does best for you.

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I also put them directly in the ground. Seem to do quite well that way, even this time of year in our severe heat.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

If you are going to plant them in the ground you should probably do it right away. Your first frost date is probably even earlier than mine so giving the little plant as long as possible to build up a root system is important. A plant that size I would usually prefer to pot up first but the echies can be very picky about drainage and there is a great temptation to over water them in a pot as Em said. I do not buy or plant any size smaller that 5"x5" potted plants in the fall and would prefer even larger if possible here. That's just me, and the experience I have had in the past with a lot of lost small plants. You still have time and if the plug has good drainage and winter holds off as it should there is a decent chance it will come through the winter okay. Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.