Getting Serious: Round 2 of Dahlias 09

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I had a special visitor today: I got to meet Dahlianut! The real one and only Dahlianut and Mr. Nut as well LOL. They braved the border crossing, Seattle traffic, and the heat as they passed through on their way to MT. Very nice to meet them both. They say "Eh?" So charming. I marked our driveway with flags to welcome our neighbors from the north.
Dahlia nut on right, me on left. I forgot to give her her presents! Dahlianut, when you get online, Dmail me.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

The purple patch is unfolding daily:
Wyn's Fiesty Frieda had an unfortunate start being beaten by overflowing gutter in late spring, but she's fighting back for survival.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Jax Char is back in multiples. Medium large 6-8" bright purple and one I really like. This isn't even close to the purple. Trust me, it's purple.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

My Love is a wonderful smaller 4-5" white semi-cactus that blooms in profusion.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a funny bud opening in bow tie fashion, but it went on to fill out to be completely round. Unforgettable: a really nice 4" light blend in white with lavender. Sorry about the blur.

Fully opened
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/165462/

Thumbnail by Poochella
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You both look terrific and it's so good to see Dahlianut!

Love the dahlias as well.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

how fun for you guys!!!!!! Pooch....either your dahlia's are really tall or you guys are really short!!!! Just kidding. with our cool summer here i don't have anything over 3&1/2 foot this year and frankly I'm a bit jealous.lots of blooms but short plants.

erika

Short plants here as well. Glad to know it's not just me!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

OMG-you guys are too funny with your Canadian flags! Did you sing a rousing bout of "O Canada..."? How long did the trip take, or was it just en route for other stops?

Uhm...I think I am going to have to block this site from myself. Or get a personal loan to purchase dahlias. I now have to add Wyn's Fiesty Frieda to my must haves for next year. That bloom is STUNNING. The petals, with that color!!!! How big is the bloom? Is the photo pretty true to the real color-is it really that ultra-violety, purpley-lilacy?

It's so purple it's difficult to capture though I've tried many times. Thanks, Annie.

Thumbnail by pirl
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Quee, I wanted to learn "O Canada" or have a marching band ready to go to play it, but no go this time ;)

My dahlias are always taller than stated. I think it's the struggle for sun, though Dahlianut said hers are tall as well. I keep about 15 at DH's office and was stunned to see how reasonably short they were last year: normal height. They get sun from just about dawn to dusk.

Pirl that is an excellent color representation of Fiesty Frieda. How'd you do it? I've tried and tried to no avail. Same with Jax Char.

Quee, Frieda is B size (6-8") and taller than most.

Oh, a marching band would have been so perfect!

FF is very difficult to capture so I tried around 5:30 PM and that was the best I could get.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Pirl, I'll keep that in mind. I've tried adjusting the white balance, using "vivid" setting, all kinds of light settings and nothing gets it right which is so true for many colors. No matter, it's a beautiful purple as you can see!

Here comes the early version of Normandy Promise- a bright pink which I expect will get more cactus-like in days to come.

Thumbnail by Poochella

Wonderful. I love when a color just screams out, "Look at ME".

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Here is my first Caribbean Fantasy youthful bloom. I'm not sure what to make of it yet, but I know the blooms are subject to change without notice. I'll post an update as it opens further.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

An old 'new favorite' from a couple years ago. Hy Lobster. Brighter than fire engine red and blooms in droves. I have this plant tied up pretty tight because it's tall, no surprise there.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Single Hy Lobster with the inglorious driveway and 'lawn' as a background.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Little tiny Razmataz is back first thanks to Daisyruffles and then to Greathorse for keeping it going here. I love this bloom, even though it's barely 2" across, the bright red and yellow are just fiery bright.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Bet you're dying to see the fiery bright, right? LOL hit the wrong button...

Thumbnail by Poochella

We need to find more words to compliment your blooms. Love the Caribbean Fantasy but those reds are fabulous.

Yay! I'm excited to see CF. I am eagerly awaiting blooms here on that one. Of course, your reds are sinfully delicious (is that a new description? I've probably used it before). Raz looks pretty close to my number one obsession, Salsa Picante, though a smaller version. Mmm-yummy!

I'd love to be a bee in Annie's dahlia beds.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I got Hy Lobster this year from Poochella and it doing awesome! Love the great red color. I'm glad your Raz is doing so well, mine are too. The Salsa Picante that i got from Pooch is my absolutely favorite (this week anyway).I've really got to start taking some pictures and posting them.

Erika

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

"Caribbean Fantasy" is calling to me. How 'bout a size and that all important ?; how are the stems and how large is the bloom ? I love it when there are all those colors going on. Kinda like talking to a smart hunk. Tho.... that doesn't happen often.
Raz is a dandy, with the added bonus of being dependable too.
Annie, your trick of using the crayon colors always does it for me.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Little does Pooch suspect that I took beautious pics of her dahlia beds with Canadian flags so perchance I could pertend they were MY dahlia beds. Whoa I could be so sneaky if I was evil. Truly really OMG the Pooch beds are breath taking!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Yah yah get on the photos Greathorse! I've had ONE Salsa Picante bloom to date- really sluggish this year for me.

Granny, the jury's still out on Caribbean Fantasy- I have two and both are squat

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Its always fun to see pics of the dahlia gang! Nice bright blooms too! And a return of the Pooch-o-vision on Unforgettable. :)

Port Sanilac, MI

If I had to choose just one dahlia, (Heaven forbid), I think it would be Carribbean Fantasy. Each bloom is so beautiful and so different than the last!

Poochella, can I add to your thread of of your flowers since you gave them to me? This is Karma Lavander

Thumbnail by kays_camelot
Port Sanilac, MI

Keith H. Thank you so much Annie

Thumbnail by kays_camelot

Soooo beautiful. I said Javier G (other thread) was elegant, but these two also fall into the elegant category. I have never seen Karma Lavender before. And I have my fingers crossed waiting for Keith, he's taking a water-logging.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Pooch, they're all beautiful. Love those purples. And the dark pink. And the Caribbean Fantasy. And the reds ...

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Of course, Kay. Karma Lagoon is the name and that is one of the Karma dahlias, bred for cutting, that I really don't want to be without. Karma Bon Bini is pretty nice too in bright red and yellow. Since I mercilessly killed the last of my Weston Spanish Dancer tubers, I'm extra glad to have it. Karma Pink Corona is dull and dirty looking here. Karma Serena is a nice white, but the outer petals are always sort of wimpy- thin. I'm not liking that one much for that reason.

I am liking the "red bed!" Raz ma taz, Karma Bon BIni and Kasasagi- power bloomers all doing there thing in the lower bed. It's a jungle down there.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Kay, forgot to say how much I love the photo of Keith H and Karma Lagoon- makes the lavender just jump out of the photo. My Keith H's this year are slow- so weird how they vary from year to year. Still like it though!

Here's a bigger B size (6-8") Wyn's Garden Glow. It's lavender with yellow and it does indeed glow from the center.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Clearview David A favorite hybridized in the county north of us by some tremendous growers. Thought I lost this one, so I am glad to have it blooming. 4-6" white/lavender with wonderful edges of deeper lavender.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wyn's Dark Dancer is new this year and not fully developed but it is such a pretty rich violet. It looks red here; it's not. The petals should curl upward in a couple days, but in case we get a freak wind or something, I couldn't resist taking a photo.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Update on Caribbean Fantasy for Granny. It's 3.5 ft tall, stems are starting to rise above the fray. Flowers are BB with many petals, mostly white/yellow and stray/irregular streaks of magenta. Dark stems are certainly suitable for cutting, but not broomsticks.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I just adore this dahlia! It's little 2-3" Azuma Kagami and thanks to Willow I get to enjoy the bright red tubular anemone blooms in their little bright red celebrations again this year!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Purple Mist was found at the Puget Sound Dahlia Association tuber sale a couple years back. It was kind of a muted purple with paler tips but this year it's flaming light purple. Reminds me of Camano Thunder in color. I don't have an explanation. I used a different fertilizer this year that seems to make colors brighter, BUT some flowers I've seen brighter in the past, are dimmer, or completely different hues this year. I swear you could garden for 100 years and never get the same results twice. Regardless, I still like Purpler Mist :)

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Willow, you have to confirm an ID for this one for me if you can: It is labelled Summer Morn but I can't find a dahlia by that name. There's September Morn and a few 'Summer' named dahlias, but whatever it is, it's gorgeous and blooms with my thanks!

Thumbnail by Poochella
West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

The Caribbean Fantasy is definitely a color riot! I also like the perfect form of Clearview David.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.