CLOSED: AYANKEECAT PASS ALONG BOX # 2

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1001550/

Pass along all started with a wonderful gardener, Ayankeecat, who sent me some plants and refused to let me pay shipping...just asked me to return the pass along gift to someone else.

This pass along is now open to all members of DG. Just post if you'd like your name added to our pass along list. Once your box arrives post to let us know what plants you got and when. You may also want to post pictures of all your new plants. When you ship your pass along box to the next person in line please post here with a confirmation number.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 5:06 PM

Thumbnail by cannagirl
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh how I hope to smell a Brug some day! Maybe even have one!)

I'm reposting my last note so it won't be missed

Quoting:
Oh my!! I do not know the names of all of the plants I will be sharing. What do I do? I understand that it is frowned upon to send NOID plants (unless a lily or iris or something like that which truly is NOID). HelP!! So, I've picked out plants to send, but I'm at a loss to about naming them. Many came to me unlabeled!..... ...

Sheri

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Sheri, I don't know about anyone else, but NOID plants have almost always turned out to be a beautiful suprise in my gardens. Speaking only for myself, I don't see a problem getting NOID's. You can always post a picture on DG and 99% of the time someone will ID for you.

Nothing smells better than a brug in bloom. We'll see what we can do about getting a few rooted cuttings out soon. Maybe have a guessing game.

Thumbnail by cannagirl
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Sheri, I am currently sprouting several different kinds of brug seeds.. i can see how far along they are when I send your box in Sept... or i can wait til it gets bigger and send it separately later on :)

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow I would love to get that box....................

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

cannagirl - you may wnt to close the other thread...lol...so no one gets confused...like me ROTFL

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Lol, Cue I meant to do that....I'm still waking up....this is my early morning ;)

Beulah, MS

Yes I really would like to get a box.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

:o)

Spooner, WI

I have, until recently, gardened almost exclusively with NOID plants. Didn't bother me! Some times I get duplicates in swaps, but that's okay too, because then I have more of that plant to trade with someone else! And sometimes, it helps me learn the name.

:)

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Pensacolagarden and Gardengirl are you new to this thread? I don't remember seeing your names before...if so welcome! We are having a little challenge getting the legisticis (sp) of all this off the ground so bare with us all as it starts to creep along -better minds than mine are at work-...lol...in the meantime pull up a chair and jump in we're glad you are here.

Hugs - Jamie

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

no im not new just answered the thread.....

Beulah, MS

Yes I am new to this thread. Thanks for inviting me to pull my chair up.
girlgardener

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Morning all! What is that purple flower Dollie? Very pretty... a vine maybe?

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Clematis?

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Caren, Mittsy is right....it's a NOID Clematis. I had the ID until our last hurricane winds blew off :). If you like it I'll see if I can root you some cuttings. Hummers seem to be attracted to it.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I would like to join Please.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Birdie.. will be shipping your box out to you the first part of Septmeber :)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

I would like to join. Is it to late? I have a lot of different things that would love new homes. : )
How does this work? I am new to this.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

If I didn't say before... please add me to the list :)

Spooner, WI

Girlgardener, it looks like I'm in line to send to you. Technically, we're supposed to wait until we receive a box, but then again, this was never really an "official" exchange with rules & all.

What do you like? I'll see what I can get together for you!

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Ptilda, Cue, Mrsjamiep, Birdie, and others on the pass along box.....I don't know what order you all decided to ship in. Could one of you please post the list in the order your shipping boxes and add these new names?

Pensacolagargen
Girlgardener
Heavenscent
IloveJesus
Valleylynn
Cannagirl

Thumbnail by cannagirl
DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Just to keep the pass along box speeding along here's a thought.

I ship plants all year long without any problems due to heat or cold temps. As long as the recipient is aware plant box is in transit (so plants want be sitting out in weather), and you ship via priority mail plants should arrive healthy. We can keep these boxes moving so everyone gets a box of plants in a timely manner.

If you have concerns about weather in your zone and rather wait until a later date just post here. We can move your name to bottom of list.

Thumbnail by cannagirl

between cue-chick and me some others seems to make their own list and that really made it appear that ptilda was next for me to ship to. Now did anyone who was expecting wanting a box get missed?? Please jump and wave your hands so we'll know..Not a single one of us wants anybody to get missed. Especially when some have lots of plants and others are just barely getting started. I am sending to ptilda as far as I know, but I'm sure another box can be put together for anyone who got missed during the summer break while we wee waiting for these hot outdoor temps to break. I'd hate for anybody to receive a box of wilted cooked foliage instead of exciting plants.
** If we dmail our person that we have sent their box and the Shipping Conformation # is ___ , and then call our respective POfc
and tell them that plants were just sent from zipcode_____,, they will watch, hold and call ya when they arrive. That way they wont go out in the hot haul truck if you don't want it to!!(never hurts to ask I see!)

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

all I know is, Im shipping to Birdie.. dunno where its going after that :)

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Bridie,
I've never had to trouble myself or the P.O. with calls to hold packages of plants for me. lol, too much trouble!
The mail carriers car/trucks have air conditioners or heaters whichever the case maybe. So plants want get either too hot or cold.....as do the P.O.'s As long as recipient of plants will be home the day they arrive, so plants want have to sit outside in weather, your plants should arrive healthy. ( I use the tracking # to confirm delivery date.)
My mail carrier brings my plants to my green house around 2:00 p.m.....the worst part of day for heat. Today I just got in two Strictocardia Vines from Orange Pk., FL Both were in great condition. No damage of any sort to these vines from shipping in this heat. Not even any wilt down. I'll post a picture of these vines when I get back to my GH.
Shipping can be left up to the individual as to when they want package sent out to them.
All I'm saying is that I've been shipping plants and getting them often from all zones....for years. I've never had a problem as long as plants were wrapped correctly and shipped priority mail.
As we're getting a large list of names that want these packages it's best for speedy shipping so all boxes can get to everyone in a timely manner. Rather than stopping for a month or so before shipping onto the next person.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2009 6:11 PM

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Sounds good Cue.
Ok, here's the list. Please post when you recieve your pass along box.

Ayankeecat sent to cannagirl (received)
cannagirl sent to cjcjmass (received)
cjcjmass sent to flowerfantasy (received)
flowerfantasy sent to antsinmypants (received)
antsinmypants sent to cue_chik (received)
cue_chik sends to Birdieblue

Next in line after Birdieblue

Blondehavmofun
Locakelly
aspenjocop
Mrsjamie
Ptilda
Pensacolagarden
Girlgardener
Heavenscent
IloveJesus
Valleylynn
Cannagirl

If you don't want your package sent when your name comes up we can move to bottom of list.....or, work with you on however/whenever you want your box shipped.

These are fun, suprise pass along gift boxes for all of us to enjoy and have fun with. I hope the list and speedy shipping makes everything much easier.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2009 4:09 PM

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Thank you cannagirl for adding my name.
I just go my first ever trade package from txaggiegal. It was great. In the process of opening it and seeing the contents for the trade,and how she packaged things, I learned a lot.
I am starting right away on things to put in my package for this pass along. Any tips are appreciated.

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Valleylynn, glad you joined us!

Rhizomes, bulbs, cuttings, bareroot plants I just wrap in paper towels, lightly wet with water, place in baggie and tape. Tag with plants name.

Small pots I stuff with paper towels around the inside of pot, wet down, cover over with baggie and tape over to keep soil inside.

As long as your plants stay moist in shipping they should be alright. Everyone has a different way to pack & ship. Maybe someone else will post a different way.

The vines I got in today, the roots were enclosed in a sponge with slits on side of sponge to insert plant roots. My trader then added a little water, wrapped, and labled. I thought this was a great way to ship plants in this heat! Plan on doing this for my next trade!

You also need to make sure your plants don't slip & slid inside the box. Once you ship plants they're in for a hard ride and getting knocked around. I stuff my boxes with newspaper or bubble wrap for a more secure trip.

I also wrap larger plants in newpaper and tape to secure.

Thumbnail by cannagirl
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks for he info cannagirl. I will work at packing a perfect box. : )

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

hello everyone,

I'm so glad that we are back on track
welcome to everyone.

Cindy

Thumbnail by cjcjmass
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

That's one pretty bloom Cindy!

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you she is my baby...

Thumbnail by cjcjmass
Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

This is my Choc rose bush..I just felt like sharing...

Thumbnail by cjcjmass
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

cjcjmass, that is a beautiful rose.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Absolutely stunning!

Connie

anyone who want to ship now instead of September like we has planned, please go ahead. i am waiting for cooler weather just like we decided earlier this years. /this is getting very complicated . originally someone received a box and then said "Who's next", then someone raised their hand, I will ship to whoever is still waiting in September.

PS about A/C'd mail trucks, they by law have to be turned off and locked whenever the carrier is out of them. So not everyone is lucky enough to be on a rural rout that is always A/.C'd to a perfect temp for plants and i was just letting anyone know who==how they night arrainge for their plant to avoid a hot and perhaps perilous trip. It wasn't necesary to try and make my suggestion seem ridiculous and unnecessary just because some may have postman who go the xtra mile and drop to our greenhouse. Som may live in cities where the truck is locked and heating every block or so until it reaches our house, which for me is 2-4pm.

Spooner, WI

Birdie, I don't think anyone wants to belittle your suggestion, we just all have different experiences. I certainly appreciate your suggestion, especially since I seem to be so far removed from anyone on the list!

While these threads are great fun most of the time, and an excellent way of exchanging information (at least, that's my opinion), it's often difficult to gauge the intentions of the individual posting. We're very different people, from a world of different backgrounds and communication styles. Sometimes that's not easy!

SO...

I was contacted by Mrsjamiep, informing me that she's sending to me, so I guess the list is like this:

Ayankeecat sent to cannagirl (received)
cannagirl sent to cjcjmass (received)
cjcjmass sent to flowerfantasy (received)
flowerfantasy sent to antsinmypants (received)
antsinmypants sent to cue_chik (received)
cue_chik sends to Birdieblue (will wait to send until September)

Mrsjamie sends to Ptilda
Ptilda sends to...??

Are we supposed to go in order? Here's the list from cannagirl:

Blondehavmofun
Locakelly
aspenjocop
Mrsjamie (already sending)
Ptilda (already receiving)
Pensacolagarden
Girlgardener
Heavenscent
IloveJesus
Valleylynn
Cannagirl

I think my best bet would be to send to someone that would most benefit from things that I have access to. Can I choose however I want? I don't want to leave anyone out, but...
Blonde, you seem to be looking for a lot more tropicals, which I have NO idea about!
Loca is maybe a slightly better bet (I'm looking at zones and have/want lists to get an idea).
Aspen... not sure what you're looking for. Never even heard of Episcia before now.
Pensacola likes stuff not hardy here.
Girlgardener doesn't have a list, but MS is south, so maybe I can assume? Girlgardener, if you post an idea of what you like, it might help someone send some good stuff for you.
Heavin likes stuff not hardy here...
IloveJesus... ditto...
Cannagirl, ditto.

I think you southern ladies would bring the biggest benefit to each other, since I just don't do house plants (which is the only way that stuff will grow up here).

Looks like the best person for me to send to is Valleylynn. Does anyone have an issue with that? I don't want to make it difficult, but I think she will get the most use out of the plants and seeds I will send. Valley, are you okay with that? I sincerely hope this doesn't bother anyone. Please let me know if you're concerned. I'm very accepting of feedback.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Sounds good to me otherwise how would you have access to zone 9b plants for me? I think it is a good idea.

Spooner, WI

Wow, I just read back on that message & realized that it's almost 3-feet long! lol

Sorry guys!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.