Dahlias this year

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I've limited space to grow these beauties so I;ve only a few to post. I sure do enjoy the beauties you regulars post here. First one here is Swan's Glory:

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sonic Bloom

Thumbnail by jmorth
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

They're both so beautiful, Jack.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

September Morn

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Rip City (dark, velvety night shot)

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Rip City - in daylight with reddish highlights.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

This one has been grown in a pot the last several years, not sure of it's designation. It was from Dutch Gardens. The rest were all from Swan Island Dahlias.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks pirl.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lovely blooms! I particularly like Sonic Bloom - gorgeous.

Joanne

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

I like the form on Sonic Bloom, but my favorite would be the Swan's Glory, quite a beauty!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

They're all beautiful. Swan's Glory gets my vote especially for the striking autumn colors. I don't usually care for the open centered dahlias, but even the Dutch Gardens one catches my fancy because the center is so dark. Very intriguing. You have some real beauties.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

thanks all

Thumbnail by jmorth
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too I'm a Sonic Boom Fan. Luv the dark foliage on the NOID in the pot too!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow-love that dark foliage unknown. It's almost black! Quite a sexy plant.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Found the name of the quite dark foilaged dahlia --> Silentia

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Silentia with Eucomis and Perilla

Thumbnail by jmorth

Nice color harmony, Jack.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lovely collection, jmorth, and that last pic with all the dark foliage is stunning! Love the way the bloom color shines against all that bronze.

Holy cow-Eucomis is awesome! I've never seen it before (of course, I had to look it up) and I must have it. What variety is that?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Eucomis comosus 'Oakhurst' from Terra Nova

Thumbnail by jmorth

Shut the front door-that is gorgeous! Thanks for the info-I must get it. Pirl gave me an inside scoop on where to get it. How often does it get the flower spike? Not that it matters, I love the shape and color regardless of flowering. Thanks again.

Carrie

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've been eyeing Pineapple Lilies for years, if I knew they were that fantastic, .. well now I have to get them as well!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Spike's once every late summer for me. It's overwintered unwatered in the basement during the winter.
Another interesting Eucomis is 'pole-evansi', the giant pineapple lily.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous combination of plants there, jmorth! That giant pineapple lily is such a dramatic focal point. Do you allow your Eucomis to go to seed? I typically leave them because they still look nice while the seed is developing.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I do on the E. autumnalis (pic).
Sometimes I take the flowering stem off Oakhurst and Evansii while still flowering and stick it in water inside as they retain their bloom quite a while.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

These are so beautiful together! Well done.
(Silentia with Eucomis and Perilla)

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Poochella.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dark foliage dahlias make me swoon (PLOP)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Les, or anyone interested in deep maroon foliage: You should check out Karma Choc as a dahlia with the darkest foliage, flower and stems. 3-3.5 ft tall. I don't think I have tied it once- it's that sturdy and just kicking out the blackest red blooms on long, strong stems. It will make my most favorite 2009 dahlia list for sure. I pray it's tublerlifik, I'd grow 12 of them if I could.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Swoooooooooooooooon

Dnut - you crack me up.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the "swoon and plop" image I have, LOL

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Skipper on Dahlia

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

moth on dahlia

Thumbnail by jmorth
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cool jmorth. Thanks for sharing.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Jnorth do you know the name of that first dahlia tonight, the one with the aster included? I have one I'm trying to nail down a name for and it looks similar.

I was going to start a thread last year "Bugs on dahlias" because there seem to be so many opportunities from the evil earwig to the beautiful bee and sleek spider. Perhaps I will get to this in a couple weeks. I always think they are bugs with superior intelligence who decide to visit a beautiful bloom.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I believe the 1st photo shows September Morn

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Your last comment reminded me of a dahlia I had last year that seemed to draw Monarchs and Painted Ladies. It's name was Tropic Sun, or something like that.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful monarch. I don't think we have them out here and I miss them.

September Morn might be just the name I was looking for! Thanks. Here it is below. What do you think?

Thumbnail by Poochella
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Appears to have the same type of flower but not as yellow-orange; I looked it up in a Swan Island catelog where it's description is: '5" alluring yellow blossoms with rose orange shading.'

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.