Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

what are these ?

Fresno, CA(Zone 9a)

the lady across the way gives these to me she is from Tyland I have no idea what they are
Thanks
Greg

Thumbnail by CherokeeGreg
Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Are they different critters? Didn't you ask her? speak-no-english? Fruits? What have you done with them?????

Virginia Beach, VA

They look like passion fruit. Do they have a lot of seeds? They are very expensive fruit you can find them. they taste good. Belle

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The two at the bottom are jujube. The one on the left is probably a Lang and the one on the right might be from rootstock, Honey or Sugar.
The two up top look like unripe guava.

Brilliant, jujubetexas! Please hang around and chat with us!

What do you grow?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The list is really long. I would guess 50-75 different edible fruits/berries/nuts. My main focus is on jujube if you couldnt guess.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Jujube,

I've got a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind!

1) I've only ever had green jujubes, and loved them. Do the over-ripe jujubes really taste like dates? Do you dehydrate them?

2) I have what I've been told is an Indian Jujube (it hasn't fruited yet, it's just blooming now), however, the Chinese Jujubes seem to be more common and highly rated. What's the best way to tell the difference, or can one, without fruit? the care seems to be a bit different, so I'd like to be sure, if possible.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The Chinese jujube is more upright and the Indian tend to grow wider and stays shorter.
The flowers tend to cluster together on the Indian jujube and from my experience, the leaves are much larger. Chinese jujube tend to have leaves around 2.5 inches while the Indian will have leaves 4-5 inches when they are older. The main difference is that the Indian is only hardy to 25 degrees while the Chinese is cold hardy to -5 degrees.

Most jujube are not considered ripe until the red splotches start to appear or are completely red. If you pick the jujube and leave them out in the sun they will dehydrate in 5-7 days here in Texas. They will then taste very similar to dates.

Only pick jujube in the morning as they dry out during the day and then regain moisture at night.

There are varieties specifically for drying and some for drying and fresh. Make sure you get the right one if you do get one.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I just noticed you are in Florida. The chinese jujube dont like heavy humidity. I think there are two that can actually fruit in those situations. I believe that Abbeville is one of them. I am not sure how the Indian deals with humidity.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks for the info!

Based on this it does look like I've got an Indian Jujube, which should be fine, since we rarely hit freezing. The flowers are definitely clustered together. They've got jujubes in the fruit and spice park in Miami, so they are probably growing the Indian ones as well, and I'm guessing that if they can handle the humidity in Miami, they can handle the humidity in St. Pete.

I probably couldn't leave the fruit out to dry in the sun here, given the humidity, but I do have a dehydrator, so I'll try that. Presuming it ever sets fruit of course. Also presuming that I don't eat all the yummy green fruits.

Is an average of 60% high humidity? That's what it is here, and I always wonder if that's considered high.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I think that is high.
My Indian jujube is flowering too right now. I will take a picture of a thornless and a thorned variety so you can compare.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is a picture of a Thornless Indian jujube (Ziziphus Mauritiana). See how wide it is?

Thumbnail by jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is a thorned variety of the Indian jujube. It is more upright because it is young. Once it gets a strong base, it will spread out more.

Thumbnail by jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is a Chinese Li Jujube (Ziziphus Jujuba).
It is very upright.

Thumbnail by jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is a comparison of the leaves from the Indian and the Chinese. The Indian is much bigger.

Thumbnail by jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Finally, here is a pic of an Indian fruit cluster. There are about 6-12 flowers per gathered together. They tend to be more clumped while the Chinese are more spread out on the branch. The Chinese should not be flowering this time of the year unless they completely missed out on fruiting this year for some reason. Sometimes they will try to fruit again if they were in severe drought or other problems.

Thumbnail by jujubetexas

Wow, thanks for all the picture work! And work it is.

Very interesting.

The leaves with the yellow, are they hungry for something, or just old and going away?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I think hungry although they do drop them throughout the year. Only about 1/3 are yellow and the others are dark green. I am afraid to add anything right now cause it is flowering. I may add a bit of iron in small doses. It is in a pot and the roots are so aggressive that it probably has many issues. The one in the other pot pushed the roots through a tiny crack and ripped it open and went into the ground. The root was the size of a dime before I found it. That was probably in just 3 months. WOW!
I cut the root and hope it will grow another tree since they do sucker. HA!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks for all the pics Jujube! That definitely confirms it, mine is an Indian, of the thornless variety.

I hadn't realized the roots were so aggressive, I've got it in a pot, but will check to see if it's attempting to escape via the drainiage hole.

Although extra jujubes would be cool. Really like the unripe fruit.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The two fruits on top seem to be Guava.

Sarasota, FL

I've grown the Chinese jujube for the past 4 yrs ( in a pot). No problems with the humidity so far. I had seedling Indian jujubes to flower for the first time last year. Nothing set so I hope to get some this year.
Biggest problem so far is the Sri Lankan leaf weevil. They love to chew the leaves!
From what I understand, the Chinese varieties tend to sucker more.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes they do!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.