Yellow?

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Here is "Star of Yellow Dream"from Mr Ko.I'm happy with the plant but the yellow is not as dark as I hoped.I apologize for the blurry pic.

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

That flower is absolutely lovely!

If you want yellowyellowyellow, grow marigolds! (do not be offended. This is a very yellow compared to 99% of the Desert Rose flowers I've seen!)

Now I am seeking Mr. Ko.

Please, are you planning to try to make seed pods?

Melissa

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Yes,I will try for seed pods.I have pods now on some of my others.I also have one other "yellow"from Ko.It's blooms are opening now and I will post pictures.I am happy with this flower and the plant was super,much larger than I expected.

Is Milton in north central florida? Zone 8a in Florida????

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Milton is zone 8a but is in the panhandle,just east of Pensacola.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This is my yellow Adenium Desert Rose, got it on eBay, its not as dark as your is but it has a lighter center than your from what I've noticed, wish it was as dark as your is. Have been trying to get seeds from this one but haven't been successful yet, just have to keep trying like I did with a white one I have which I'd finally got a small seed pod developing on it after many attempts.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Here is the other "yellow".This one is 'Golden Age',also from adenium_ko on Ebay.
This one does have a bright yellow center.Now if i can manage to cross these two maybe I can strengthen the yellow in the downline.

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

one last shot

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Wilfred,I like your yellow.In a few years we will have bright,lemon yellows everywhere.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Even though your is not completely yellow, it sure looks gorgeous gone2seed, have you any luck with pods on this one.

One of my goals with Adenium Desert Rose is to get a really yellow one, something like a canary yellow, I've been trying to get seeds from mien but it has been quit a challenge, just have to keep trying till I do. I'll let you know if I succeed.

Wilfred

Decatur, GA

I would have to say the yellow, maybe especially with the pink edges and veins, is my favorite. I will have to count my casualties this winter and if I have room I may get one.

Helen

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Wow, beautiful! (all of them!)

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Here is another Ebay purchase,this one not from Ko.It is Thangthong a "purple".
I am also going to post a picture of one of my seedlings.Seedlings are still my favorites.Some seedlings are ordinary and some spectacular,but all are beautiful.

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Here is one of the seedlings.This one has the most "purple",actually plum,so far.

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Wonderful color!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

gone2seed, I have one with a little lease purple around the edge of the bloom than your does, I'm trying to get seed pods on it to see if any of the seedling inherits more of the purple gene and get one that would be purple totally, it would probably take several years before I know if I succeeded, are you doing the same.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here's another bloom from same the plant.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This is another plant I have that has several seed pod on it, wondering if the bloom color pattern will continues to appear on some of the seedling since they don't come true to mother plant only similar.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This is yet another plant I'm trying to get seeds recently.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Those are SO pretty!

All the Desert Roses here on St Croix seem to be the same color, sort of a light pink with pink edges., and I haven't seen a single one with a caudex. Two are a six feet tall. I'll go around and take photos one of these days.

It's being a great pleasure to know you, Wilfred!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Mellisa, all Desert Rose have caudex, the probability is you don't see the caudex on any of them in St Croix is that they haven't been exposed yet, this is done by digging them out and replanting them with 1/3 of their roots exposed, then they wash off the soil from the upper part to clean it and expose the caudex. The roots at the bottom will keep growing downward while the 1'3 that was expose will turn the same color of the rest of the plant.
You should try this with one of your potted ones Mellisa so you could be the first one on your Island with one, don't be afraid to try it, I know you can do it and if you still are afraid of doing it, just so you'll know, I'll send you a potted plant if anything goes wrong with it but you have to try first, its the only way to learn how, if you have any questions let me know.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

gone2seed forgot to mention your purple edged Desert Rose is gorgeous, have you any luck getting seed pods from it, here a white one I have that I'll be trying to get seeds pods from soon.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Oh, I'm already scraping away the potting medium on the two that I bought, that have caudexes. No need to send me a plant, and the PO is terribly rough on plants anyway. Always arrive smashed.

Anyway, I thought if a limb was cut off, it'd root, but not make a caudex. Humm. The two large Desert Roses that I know of, five feet tall, don't have caudexes, just thick tree trunks. I'll take a photo and post tomorrow evening, I'm busy all day.

Fighting rain showers tonight, brought in pots. I must build a little glass roof!!!!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This is a photo of same plant.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Decatur, GA

Wilfred,
You flowers are really beautiful. I hope you have good luck in getting seeds.

Helen

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Wilfred,I just tried pollinating the purple edged one yesterday,using the method you shared with us.Let's hope it sets a pod or two.If it does I will post pictures.I have had some sucess already using your method.After two years of trying for pods who would have thought it could be as simple as gently squeezing the corolla tube and using a tiny brush.Thank you for sharing that.

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Some times the simples ways is the way to go, us humans tend to look for the more difficult way of doing things, nature is simple and beautiful, you just have to look and see it to understand its ways of doing things.

Thank you so much gone2seed, It gives me so much pleasure and joy every time I here someone has succeeded in something I've tried to share with other, shows me it wasn't in vain, it would be so nice if more people were successful with what I have shown them, but most people don't post anything and sometimes I question myself if it was worth the time I put in trying to show others something I've learn through the years. Almost never posted the tread if it wasn't for a DG friend I came across in the hibiscus forum when I offered some seeds of Adenium Desert Rose for free since I had to many and didn't have the time to plant them at that time, rather give them away than throwing them out, before that I had thrown out more than a thousand seeds, for those who took me seriously and answered me, some received from 300 to 50 seed according to who answered first has surplus seeds were depleting, since then I've given out lots of seeds as they develop on plants for same reasons, time I have to plant them vs livability seeds have.

Your seed pod looks great, and from what I noticed in your photo, you have more seed pods that will start to grow on that same plant, 2 more at least.
If I ever get something new and beautiful I'll let you know to and good luck with the purple one.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Sincere appreciation is a most important thing in Life. There isn't enough.

One thousand seed, I'm dying!!! haha

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Mellisa, what would you say if I'd told you I have 63 pods growing right now on my plants taking in account that you can get from 10 to 60 seeds in each pod. Now I know its hard to trow them out but what was I to do with them since nobody here wanted them and you think that's bad wait till I tell you that I also had to trow out a few baskets of seedling full of them since I didn't have the time nor money to replant them in bigger pots. sometimes I give them to close friends but they have so many they don't want any more plus I sell some to nurseries to be able to pay for somethings but when they don't sell them on I can't offer them any more until they do and its starts to get costly to maintain them in good condition and time consuming too. Problem is this isn't the only thing I grow here, have more than 25 other plants that I grown and propagate to sell at nurseries to be able to maintain my boy and myself and that's with the job I have, don't seem to make enough money with them both but I have to keep trying to, besides its the only thing besides my boy that gives me some joy in life and to share with others.
I would have sent you more seed when I first did but I had given out most of them already and I don't send live plants because I can't afford it, sending seeds only cost me the stamp, but next time I'll send you more for you to try. Maybe I'll D-mail you and show you some of the other plants that I grow if you want, I don't know if you checked the hibiscus forum but I'll post a photo of a hibiscus crossing I'd mad even though this is not the forum for it, hope gone2seed doesn't mien and forgives me since this is not my tread.

Wilfred

"Manila"

Thumbnail by WQP

Knock me over with a feather! And so pretty a hibiscus. Here, the hibiscus club seems to be thrilled with bleah ditch mud colored hibiscus. Apalling! Ugly!! Are they sick?? Photo is from their show in February. Browns and greys down in front. There are enough different classes that half or more can gain a blue ribbon. Our Orchid Society is the same way.

Several times in my life I've given away everything, to go away when I needed to go away, so I know what you're talking about.

Supporting one's self by plants has joy, but small financial reward.

gone2seed, what's up with you? Where can I find Mr. Ko??? I've looked, fruitlessly!

Gone2seed, are you still here? Any new pods yet?

Cheers,

Melissa

Thumbnail by Molamola
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Yes,I am still here and yes,I have many more pods.I will try to get a picture and post it this evening.
Mr Ko is an Ebay seller.I will find him and post a link.In addition to his auctions he also maintains an Ebay store.
Wilfred,the hibiscus is gorgeous.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Here are 6 young plants with seed pods.I had a few more but they aborted while less than 4 inches long.
Mr Kos' address can be found right here on this forum.Both his Ebay store and website are here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/557317/

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

gone2seed, do you pollinate your ADR or do they self pollinate, you really have some nice big pod on your plants.

Wilfred

Mr Ko isn't my cup of tea after all! Too much, too big, too far away.

We need to upgrade you, Wilfred, to a more commercial operation. Let's think on this... It can be done! No more throwing out anything! Waa!

Today I stopped by the garden center where I bought my two plants. They have seven out front at $19, and twelve in back still with the $29 label. NONE are blooming, none have buds. I wonder where they're from? The label doesn't say. Many plants here come from Puerto Rico. I might go make a real cheap offer for all of them. It's wayyyy off season for the ladies who buy plants, they are what we call snowbirds, here from November or Christmas until May. The off back North they go!

Hum, I believe Desert Roses can be the next rage, given some attention and exposure---- In the ground here, they certainly like to bloom!

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Wilfred,look back up a few posts to the one picturing one plant with seed pods.I have used your method,apparently with some success.Since my plants are outside
inswect pollination may be a possibility but that has not happened before.

Edited to say OOPS! Meant to put this over on the how-to-make-seeds thread. Sorry!

My little family! Yes, three are in tiny salad dressing serving plastic cups! They get 1/2 teaspoon water in the morning. The others get a little more, but I don't nearly make the whole pot wet. The very first seed that sprouted is staying in the big white pot, see how he does with roots never disturbed. He gets about a tablespoon of water every morning.

I use water from my little fishpond. And i add a tiny bit of orchid bloom fertilizer. I like to eaat every day, so I figure plants do too. But i also know chemical fert is not good for the soil; I'm hoping the fishwater balances that.

The two big DRs are finally in their clay pots. One got some rot(!!) I found the roots had a space between them that was full of moist potting medium, seemed to be very high in peat. I hadn't watered this plant any differently than the other one. Now I believe that rot can come from roots that make a place for soil, like a circle of roots with soil inside??

Oh, and several cockroaches ran out while I was picking at the soil, eeeek! Both plants get bottom watered, I set them in a pan with 1/2 inch of water for a half hour in the mornings. Yes, I don't have enough to do. Not really. It's just that these guys are real special.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2009 10:26 AM

Thumbnail by Molamola
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Good thing you got them in clay pots Mellisa, that will help your plants more than think, it help in drying the lower half of the potting mixture to avoid root roting.

Wilfred

Old photo of one my favorite, plants has a lot of buds on it that haven't opened yet.

Thumbnail by WQP
Decatur, GA

gone2seed, Wilfred, et al.
I was so inspired by the lovely yellow trimmed with pink flowers I bought one myself. I hadn't intended to but I saw one on eBay from a good vendor and won the plant with one low bid. When it arrived in the mail it was larger than I was expecting and blooming! What a treat.
Here are a few pictures. The caudex is about 5 inches across at the soil.

Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Here is the flower up close.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Stunning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.