In a box, lol

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks.....LOL

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

My pleasure

OK, Dale, I give....LOL You were kind enough to send me a start one time, but darn if I can remember how it was wrapped. I am thinking just in wet paper towels with plastic wrap, the same of other plants?

Joyxw

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Take the cuttings, roll up in a damp paper towel. Put in a plastic bag left open at the top. Place in a tube, box or other rigid shipping container, cushion if necessary. Seal the container, label and ship.

Thank you....LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This was very helpfull,I'm taking cuttings to the RU in New Hampshire

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Yikes Dale, just wouldn't want to live that close to my neighbors (like in your last post).

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

So many people who go to SF take photos of that row of homes. They are truly gorgeous and so spectacularly maintained. Last I heard they were well over a million dollars.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That park is called Alamo Square.

They may have been a million, but, not any more.

A tree>

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Living in California is moooocho bucks

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Living in any big city is expensive. You also tend to get paid more.

cottage and cottage garden>

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It always makes me smile when young kids just out of school ,go to NYC for their first job and parents brag the salary is so much more.
I remind them of the increased cost of living and the discressionary income will be the same.
So dont order the big car yet.

Midwest excluding Chicago is very reasonable place to live. Your dollar does go farther, but would really really like to live somewhere warmer now. Love the outdoors and wish to be there all the time. Colorado when I lived there we were out because there were things to do, the midwest you are just cold in the winter....LOL Why am I laughing.....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I like it here.
Even the winter tho long is worth struggling thru to be here when spring comes, its heaven

Good thing about winter is I get to rest .... except for the 50 tropicals I play with all winter, this year i am going to start seeds. Don't want to rest too much......

Only bad thing it seems I am always racing around to get ready for spring and then racing around to get ready for winter.....

I enjoy the winter rest, too. The computer and all the wonderful plant sites make it so easy to select plants for next year. So much easier than the days of collecting catalogs and thumbing through each one to find what you wanted.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

ahhhmen

We live awhile out of the city and I drag the catalogues with me in the car while DH drives. Just glad I don't get car sick...LOL Course DG has opened an entire new world of plants to me, be that good or bad.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm ready for a winter rest too. Never will forget the first year I overwintered coleus. I had just found Daves and was a new addict. In November I ordered 700 or 800 cuttings from NC Farms. Got them all potted up. Not having any clue how many they would produce, I ordered another 500 in the late winter. I spent 40 hours a week that first winter taking care of everything. NEVER AGAIN!! So much for rest right? Did learn a lot though, but I still bring in way too many every year. I always say I won't and then we get to Fall and I do.

Juanita

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Juanita,

What a story....40 hours a week? Mercy!

I love FLORIDA and I love the 12 months of gardening. However, summer is my sort of rest. It very warm and believe it or not, the plants here slow down. If there is gardening to do, it's done about 7am or forget it. We are starting to get cooler, it's only 82 now, so gardening is an anytime thing, Even after 25 years here, I still love to look at my garden while watching the snow storms on the TV. Also, there are no missed opportunities to send pictures of the gardens to my friends and family in the winter. Cruel huh?

Hap

From one Hap to another.....that is exteremly cruel...LOL....., I get so jealous when I see all you south folks trading plants and I still have frost, snow and cold.

They just get that way when they're deprived of all of our global warming. They're itching to have a good snowball fight, I bet!

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It'll be here sooner than we think

Thumbnail by ge1836
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is still decades away....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good point of view

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

If I were forced to live in the Snow Belt I would have to have a greenhouse...like this one>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Or something more modest>

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love those "turn of the century" green houses.
I visited several when I traveled for business.
There is one at Lindhurst Casthe on the Hudson River near Terrytown. jUST FABULOUS.

I would be happy with a ugly little small one, not too small tho.
I have this and I can afford to heat it, but for early spring I need the real thing, maybe attached to the front?
The south is mostly all glass, this view is the east, and then one window on the west, course faces south.
Then the house has solar room, glass all along the front, but still need a greenhouse.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2009 5:10 AM

Thumbnail by happgarden
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice room

Thank you, my playhouse....LOL DH said when we were building it, wouldn't be cheaper just to buy new plants.....little does he know...LOL Just looks like it is screaming for a greenhouse attached to the front where those double doors are.....LOL Same old thing it isn't big enough....but since I live in snow country, heat is an issue and not getting cheaper since we are on propane, not as bad as heating oil on the east coast from what I can tell.,

Thumbnail by happgarden

My scarecrow could use a winter jacket.

Thumbnail by pirl

Is pretty to look at but dang....it was cold

Thumbnail by happgarden

That really is so pretty.

Your scarecrow needs a hat for his poor glass head....LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My prayers are with you all... for endurance.

Hap

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Spring here is worth the wait, and besides we plan gardens while we are waiting

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Remember, I was just about your neighbor and come Feb I was about stir crazy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.