mailing coleus cuttings

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

yep

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

You would need a 20 foot crowbar to get me out of here at this point in time......

....or an eviction notice.

Geranium himalayense>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That geranium is a beauty and certainly fills a lot of voids.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Those Geraniums are beautiful.
Heres somthing I don't think you can grow.....need some digs somehow.
Spuria iris.
Yellow is Missouri Primrose.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2009 7:19 AM

Thumbnail by happgarden
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Happ

Those are the kind of plants that make you look like a real gardener and you don't have to do anything except put them in the ground! Don't tell anyone....LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are the kind I try to choose

Ya gotta love em when they do all the work.....LOL

Course then I have to show all my non-gardening skills by trying to grow something that doesn't like me or any spot in my yard no matter what I do, roses! It is like a test and I lose the majority of the time. Can't even begin to count the number of roses I have destroyed. I need to go thru my tags and start tossing them because it is dishearting to see the beautiful tag and know I no longer have it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

no rose luck here either

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

Happgarden, if you want roses stop buying them I have planty I can take starts of for you

I have more losses in the rose category than with any other plant.

Wow trina, that is very nice of you, I would be willing to try. OK what is the secret to keep them growing. I am guessing out of 75 roses I have started (most of which die out slowly, just get less and less until they are gone, probably in 3 years) I can count on 3 that will actually grow to size and produce.

Out of those 3 roses that produce for me. One in which I don't like the color....LOL but won't do anything with it because it does grow for me. I have 6 in the yard currently, 3 of which produce, and 3 that are slowly dieing out over the period of a couple of years (normal routine the roses just get punier and punier until they die out completely). I have planted probably 75 roses over the years. That is a scary number when I think of dollars.

The three that grow for me, 1 (I know this doesn't make any sense) but is growing just on the otherside of a maple tree with tree roots everywhere and the rose is in 7th heaven 2-rose is in a raised bed just on the edge of a huge birch tree 3- is in a raised garden on the west side of the house (doesn't get sun until afternoon) and blooms nonstop. The three puny ones, 1-is planted where I did everything I was suppose to, gets 7 hours of sunlight, amended the soil before planting, with cottonbur compost, perlite, all kinds of stuff, nothing is planted close to it, mulched you name it 2-is planted on the south side of the house but gets shade about 3 or 4 oclock in the afternoon 3- planted on the north east side of the house but gets no shade at all. I have tried putting cages around them in the winter filled with leaves, straw for protection. I have left them alone, nothing seems to matter.

I have tried all brands, Jackson Perkins, Walmart specials, David Austin, you name it. Oh yeah I three in pots right now that I am not sure what to do with them this winter. Lest they are happy.

Sorry I have babbled way too long....

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Now I remember why I don't grow roses anymore, not that they would live in this heat. To me, they just mean work. Had them up north, Rochester, NY and they did OK. That is as long as they were sprayed, dusted, fertilized, etc.

I give you credit for you stamina, Happ.

Hap

(Are we related?)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Happy-1 Where in Rochester did you live.
We cant grow roses here either too much clay and spraying.
Jackson Perkins started in this area in the 40's

Hap, I think we are name sake....LOL I see DG'ers refuring to Hap and see you, good thing cause I don't know what they are talking about.....that causes one of those split moments where you begin to wonder about yourself....

Roses have just become a test, almost to the point I don't know if I enjoy them or just the challenge..kind of like plumerias....they are my second test.......lost 3, bought more (double of each so I would end up with one) all lived, but now nothing....they are the slowest growing plant I have ever seen at least for me.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

ge,

I used to live in Brighton. I remeber J&P; they were in Newark and visited when little.

Happ, we must be related for the memory over here is not all that good. hehe

Nancy

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I lived in Brighton oo,near Mercy Highschool

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Close, but I was on Highland Avenue near Clover. My boys are in Victor and Fairport still.

My DGD goes to Mercy. As for moi, St. Agnes was my school.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was around the corner at Landing Road north and Penfield Road. My 4 went to Penfield High. They all still live here.DD#2 and I bought a house together in Pittsford off of Clover street.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Then we are neighbors. Great!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm a rose killer too. Have spent thousands to figure that out. We just don't get enough sun here. I have 2 regular roses that are still OK. These are the last flowers I picked this morning. I think that will be it for the summer. :(

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

sorry happgarden for leaving you hanging....first STOP adding perlite to the soil where the roses are!!!!
They don't like it! besides I never did understand why someone would add styrofoam to the earth!

Mine grow in MUDD, well clay and mudd...I have 18 along the back fence...and 30 in my front yard...ranging from climbers all the way down to miniatures.

I add rooting hormone and a little blood meal and bone meal when I plant.
in spring and fall I mix the blood and bone meal together and top dress all the roses with about a 1/4 cup on each. nothing special..I don't do anything else to them...no mulch no nothing.

rvnsbrk, those are beautiful. Isn't it amazing when you can get ones to bloom for you. I have a pinky color that is blooming its heart out and I brought a vase with dahlias and roses in it to work today.

OK trina, if you ever get the time please post pics, I would love to see some of them...sounds absolutely wonderful!
Do you plant any variety?
What zone are you, Illinois you are bound to be close if not colder than me.....so confusing.
We also have clay soil, which is why I was trying to amend it according to what the nursery said. Course they are the ones selling me this stuff.
When you say mudd, how much water or moisture would you say? Alot? We had lots and lots of rain this year and come to think of it the roses are probably happier than they have ever been, even the ones that are declining do not look as bad as they did last year. Maybe that is my downfall not enough water?

I am a bit worried about adding blood or bone meal as I have 2 basset hounds and a giant baby hugo lab that is currently digging and chewing on everything in site. We have 13 acres but he loves digging in the soft dirt best. A little on the lazy side I would say! LOL

Here are some pics for you and yes I am also zone 5a (wish I would have remembered that BEFORE I planted the tree roses!)

Thumbnail by trinawitch

another one of the tree roses

Thumbnail by trinawitch

as for roses...I never met one I didn't like or wouldn't plant...I love them all!

Thumbnail by trinawitch

I have lots of colors from a mini that starts very pale pink when it first opens, then turns white, and then gets a green hue when fully opened. the only one that didn't survive this year was my nearly black one...but that's because the beast in the backyard pulled it out cause it was in his laying spot...that's my issue..keeping the dogs out

Thumbnail by trinawitch

and no the blod meal and bone meal wont hurt the dogs but to help kep them out of it mix in sme old coffee grounds (equal to the total amount of blood/bone meal) and then water immediately...that way they can't smell it and won't start digging at the roses...learned that one the hard way!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Trina so glad to know someone with the answers to the rose problem. I didn't catch the thing about the perlite either. I wouldn't add that to anything as an amendment. Funny what the nursery people will sell folks out there. :0)

Juanita

sorry my grandfather taught all about "magic" in a garden, but he taught me all about growing roses...I still occasionally loose one every gardner does, I may not know all the specific names and stuff, but I can grow 'em!

he use to tell me people waste money on soils and amendments cause they're "roses" pretty, delicate, and expensive...but a rose will grow in pig slop as long as the right stuffs in the slop!

I relegated one, Kathryn Morley, to behind a huge Tardiva hydrangea, last year when the deer constantly feasted on it. Now it's totally uncared for and in beautiful bloom. No food, no amendments, just sunshine and water.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I wish DD would get into roses, they look so nice.

The one I'd give highest ratings to would be "The McCartney Rose". Every bloom is perfect, it's a lovely deep rose color, and it smells heavenly. Oh, and it's loaded with buds when the deer leave it alone. In June it must have had 100 roses at once.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

luscious color

Peace is also stunning but there's that indefinable thing I feel for The McCartney Rose.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Arlene, Peace is my favorite. My Great Aunt grew it about 60 years ago. Didn't think it was still around.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Ah yes our darling four legged friends the deer. My DH can tell a story about the morning I came screaming into the house because they had eaten all 50 some of my rose buds that I had waited months for. We still talk about that. He thought I had cut off my arm or something drastic. :0)

There are many roses that I think will remain like Queen Elizabeth, Peace, Tropicana. They're good performers. I removed Heritage and Ebb Tide when only the ants could see them.

rvnsbrk - that was about the same reaction I had when the deer first appeared last year and ate parts of (that was the killer - just eating part of) over 1,000 daylily buds. What a heart breaker. Before the season was over I only counted 1,000 deadheads so they got the other 19,000.

Oh beautiful pics, I love roses, I would say I baby them too much, but I have tried both tactics, baby and ignore.....I know someday I will get it down.....

The first year I planted 8 roses and patiently waited for blooms, all were full of buds and figured the next moring they would all have a bloom. I got up on a Saturday at 6am and rushed out, looked and every bud was gone from the first, went to the second, same thing, and on and on. Looked like a cut worm had neatly cut the buds off, just the bud was missing, no leaf damage nothing. I immediately came in and posted a pic, on DG, that is how I learned about the deer! So I decided I needed another outside dog. You know there is a lot of difference between an "old" outdoor dog and a 80 pound puppy outdoor dog.....LOL Should of let the deer keep eating, less damage I believe....LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.