mailing coleus cuttings

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

pirl, holey moley on the daylilies, you must have beautiful pics also.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, but not from last year. LOL (but it's hard to laugh about it)

The deer also kicked my beagle in the chest and chased after him down the street. We had him operated on but he died that afternoon. I have no love or affection for deer, as you can guess.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your dog, that is so sad.

I live in way out in the country and they are everywhere. I had two deer run into the back of my car, yes the back, and one total a car on New Years Eve coming home from work. The insurance company love me....everyone at work says you are the only one I know who have hit 3 deer. Then a guy who lives in the city got tangled up with a deer in a work zone. He doesn't lip off so much now.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

We don't belong in the animal's habitat, for they were here first. But, where else can we go; the moon? LOL

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

i know i shouldn't say this but deer are evi soulless things.....hate deer! we had a nuisance permit to shoot them, because let me tell you a small herd of 5 can strip an apple orchard in under 2hours~!!! Evil beasts!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Gotta agree with Hap. It's their world too. If we hadn't forced them out of their normal habitats by over population and over suburbanization they would just go about their business and not be so much in the way.

I hate to hear that about your dog Pirl.

We live in the woods. As I tell everyone when there is a wildlife situation here..remember it was the critters world before we pushed them out. So just cope. :0)

Off my soapbox now,
Juanita

part of our problem here though is instead of it being a human population boom, there's been an explosion in deer. They say it's something with the fact we've had 3 really warm winters and summer was not hot often, has the animals confused if its time to mate or hybernate....they aren't the only things confused....my hyacinths tried to rebloom and its september!

I have read the same thing about the deer population in Missouri. Not as many hunters, not as many preditors except for cars. Most states I think are afraid their deer population will become so crowded that they will get that wasting diease which looks awful.

I don't really mind them, having said that I am disappointed when they eat the flowers, peach tree, and total a perfectly good car. I think they are beautiful and I sure wish we could share the road better. Course I think my 80 lb puppy lab has inflicted more damage on the flowers than the deer ever thought of doing.....be glad when we are over this puppy stage. Someone told me they had a lab and he ate the siding off the house! For his own protection now I kennel him at night....LOL we have 14 acres he could roam that are ours and our property sits in the middle of many more, but he sure likes the flower beds....what can I say good taste....rofl

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

trina.

And what did you have a permit to do?

hehehehehe

Hap

Big meeting in town tonight over the deer problem and today, at Physical Therapy, the guy behind the curtain next to me said he's been hunting out here since he was 12 in 1950 and then there were NO deer so they were not here first. I just want them out of here. They'd feed many hungry people.

The kicker was they can't give them birth control because it taints the meat. But somehow it's okay if people are killed trying to avoid them in the road, pets are killed, and thousands upon thousands are spent in auto repairs?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Our beef, chicken, fish or whatever is not tainted? That's a joke. If that's the only thing that the deer have in them, we'd all be better off just eating venison. Plus it's lower in fat!

IMHO.

When the deer are killed by autos and they die at the side of the road the meat isn't used so why the fuss?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Arlene,

I think that it should be. You have no idea how that would help 'soup kitchens'.

Nancy

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My brother used to live in Wisconsin and when there is a herd thinning shoot they give the meat to the poor.
Dressing stations had names of needy people and the meat is delivered quietly so no one is embarrased.All the kill for the year is used.
There are food pantries now but many poor dont have communication devices or cars so delivery is important.

Our local food pantries will not take fresh produce. What a shame.

The deer meeting was a hopeless snag as usual. The only office close to us to handle a killed deer is still an hour away and open only three days a week from 9 to 5. They make it impossible to work within the law.

My girlfriend once worked with a church in giving meals to those who needed them and her job was a two pound meatloaf every Thursday. People actually complained, "Not meatloaf again!" - so much for trying to be generous.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

no road kill in Wisconsin. I guess if they bleed internaly it spoils the meat.
Werent we in a subject like this last year and 1 DG'er went into a rant and left the forum?

Yes, we were. I remember the person from all the talk but let's not revisit that.

There was a Bambi lover at the meeting who couldn't be reasoned with, as usual.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Love bambi too
,just not so many.

Bambi is fine for encouraging children to read but I don't want the deer anymore than I want Babar the elephant roaming around or the Lion King (except as a Japanese iris, of course).

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

lol

if the sherrifs office is called as soon as the deer is hit here, they collect the aimal and butcher it..any viable meat goes to the food pantry, or the office has a list of families in need and they start calling down the list until someone answers and says they'll take the meat

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's wonderful and the way it should be.

helps that this area is all rural for like 5 counties, probably the only reason they do it

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.