Labor Day party at the Ranch

Santa Fe, NM

Here are some pictures from my friend's ranch near Las Vegas, N.M. Storms were moving around.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Here is some stone work done this summer. A crew of men did this in a few days!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

The retaining walls in the back were already there. Out toward the pond. I was told that a herd of elk comes almost every evening to drink here. They tend to avoid the annual party, however.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Let's see...There was a country band, of two. They were loud, but fun.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Such a beautiful place. There was the wagon ride but the horses were different this year. Spotted and wearing blinders. The owner of the business was driving. He said he had 70 horses last year but sold most of them and is now down to six. He said the economy was a major factor.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I like those horses and took way too many pictures of them! Now, here's lunch. There was also chicken, potato salad, and cold slaw.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Onward!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

We are just on a small part of the ranch here. It has cattle on it, but not at the party. The wagon ride is a real challenge for the image stabilizer on the camera. This wagon has rubber tires and springs but the old wagons didn't. Which is why they mostly carried things and the people walked along or rode horses if they could water them.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I took more people pictures this year but not really for the internet. I couldn't resist this one person, tho. She is good at catching minnows and grasshoppers.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

More scenery. A car picture on the way home.

Thumbnail by roybird
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice pictures roybird. I like the open space out in Eastern NM. Looks like you had a good time.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely pictures, roybird. I especially like the spotted horses and the little girl. Oh, and I liked the roasted pig and the stonework. I think about trying to feed 70 horses and pay their vet bills and I think the wagon driver was wise to downsize to 6. Even one horse can be pretty expensive to take care of, which is why I don't have one. Otherwise I love them. Those spotted ones are especially nice.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful ranch, love the stonework! Looks like an excellent party to me!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I also love the windmill against the sky.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The windmill is definately a good picture.

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks. It is a beautiful place and a great party. Hard to get a bad picture. I wish I could just go out and take pictures there some day. The rancher is a poker friend of my D.H. and to be honest, he and I don't get along all that well! So, I hesitate to ask him to put up with me more than he has to already. Sigh.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Alas. Maybe you could get your DH to ask if he could go there an film and you just go along to help him with the stills for his project? More than one way to skin an unpleasant poker player.

Santa Fe, NM

I imagine he wouldn't mind me coming out with D.H. as long as we didn't interfere with normal ranch operations. I get along well with the foreman and his wife who actually do the ranching. l.o.l.

What fun! Looks like paradise to me.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Indeed.

Santa Fe, NM

It gets heavy snow in the winter and can be quite windy. It isn't easy getting in and out on 2 miles of dirt road to get to the paved road. The foreman and his wife have three school age children at home. One year he shot a mountain lion right by their house. Not the best companion for the little ones out sledding. As far as I know, bears have not been a problem, though. I think it is a beautiful but pretty demanding life out there. Superb for summer parties, however.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Nice to know some one who owns and maintains such a place and who invites you for parties!

Santa Fe, NM

Sure 'tis.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This remains my fav of your trips! Thanks roybird. Do you have those to-die-for-orangey rocks near Sante Fe? (She says as she adds 'extra suitcase for rocks' to her trip list).

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

There are orangey rocks in NM. Don't know if I'm thinking of what you are and don't know about near Santa Fe. I got some in Western NM that turn shades of Rose, then Purple, then Brown when they are cooked.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O I MUST have some of those for sure! Why were you cooking rocks Dave-who-is-Dave? Did you have a rock party?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I didn't cook them. Nature did. Seems a seam of coal got going at a slow burn and did the cooking.

Santa Fe, NM

All colors of rocks around New Mexico. Not quite as spectacular as Death Valley but respectable. Very respectable. Bring a suitcase.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

And a dolly.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Might need my own plane.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Or truck. Is it okay to import rocks to Canada? I can't imagine that they could cause any harm.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yupper as long as they're boiled. However I scooped some luvly purpley rocks from the Clark Fork River in MT and forgot to boil them at picante's but borderguy got distracted by the 6 beer in the back of the truck that we forgot to declare so obviously rocks are ok in any shape or condition if you have a beer on you. When we come to visit I'm gonna put a beer in my suitcase ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great idea to distract border guy with beer! Boiled rocks! How silly! I suppose they are trying to avoid importing, exporting, rock disease or rock fungus. So glad they caught on to the fact that beer was more important. Did they confiscate the beer? Yes, put a bottle in your suitcase when you come to visit.

Santa Fe, NM

Do they boil the beer before drinking it? Ha! I doubt it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yupper disease and more scarey, dormant invasive seed that can lurk in the rock crevices. Nope borderguy didn't confiscate the beer but gave us a lecture. It was very silly IMPO but we acted suitably ashamed. Good idea roybird. Next time we will tell him the beer was boiled.

Santa Fe, NM

You know, the rocks could be boiled in beer, perhaps creating a new beverage sensation and we can all make lotsa money! Rocky Mt. Rock-Infused Beer. Infused sounds more classy and healthful than "boiled". There could be a logo of a rock being lowered by a crane, like in a giant tea bag, in to a frothing mug! With a cute muscle guy in a hard hat directing the operation. Outdoorsy and all.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You are soooooo brilliant roybird!

Santa Fe, NM

Oh yeah. Thank you! Inventions are Us.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I like that one, too.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Any particular type of rock, roybird? I should think the right type of minerals would add to a beer. Do you have a recipe? Probably best to boil the rocks prior to the fermentation stage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.