Help! Remember those huge tropical plants I got at DBG?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I have both a Birds Nest Fern and a Crocodile Fern - they were huge and healthy when I got them. Within a month of bringing them home, they started dying. Well, they're dying. I desperately need help.
Here is what's on my Bird's Nest Fern. 3 spray applications of soapy water did nothing. I am hoping to save the new leaf buds. Need advice.

Thumbnail by DenverJude
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

And here is the Crocodile Fern.

PS: I already gave up on the dieffenbachia. It died a horrible death of some sort of rot.

Thumbnail by DenverJude
Santa Fe, NM

I think ferns are very hard to grow in our dry climate. Every fern I've ever seen in New Mexico has not lived a long or happy life.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I used to try to grow ferns in new Orleans and birds nest ferns found it too dry there. Can't imagine how those ferns you bought at DBG even made it home with you. They need a greenhouse with a humidifier and though I am unfamiliar with crocodile ferns, I bet they are the same.
Ferns just don't grow well in the arid west. Sorry to say.

Santa Fe, NM

My tai chi teacher had two large ferns at the school hanging very high on beams up near a high ceiling. They had to be lowered by pulleys or watered on a ladder. He was convinced they would be fine; which they weren't. When they turned brown and crispy he replaced them with artificial ones which some of us found pretty amusing. I will have to see if they are still up there!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've killed a fern too. Too dry for the leaves.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ferns grow magnificently in the rain forest which New Mexico and Colorado mostly are not.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

There are "fern-like" plants, frequently alpine, that will grow here. Yarrow and Columbine are a couple.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

There are ferns in the high mountains in wet places, but not Birds Nest or Crocodile Ferns. Those plants need a moist shaded greenhouse.

Santa Fe, NM

There is fern leaf tansy that grows quite well here. A very green tansy.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I had a hard enough time trying to grow tropicals in Illinois. I did try a Bird's Nest Fern there because they are beautiful but I couldn't figure out how to get it to thrive. I am not a good waterer and now find cacti and succulents intriguing.

Ferns grow wild on rocks near Colorado Springs, CO...

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Another nice photo, plutodrive. Yes, they grow wild in the mountains of New Mexico as well, in wet places.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

pretty!

I want to have these plants indoors, but right now they're along the north side of the house in pots because of the bugs. I didn't want my one good, non-infested plant to get them too (it's still indoors). If they're to survive, I need to get it taken care of before the temps start to drop much more at night so I can bring them in.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My ferns look outstanding during the June monsoon but not so hot in August. Some even die back completely but they always come back. I have them in my little woodland spot and mixed sand into the soil where I planted them.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Tough conditions to match here - humid, shady, roots moistened frequently but its gotta drain fast.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I stick with Matteuccia struthiopteris. They can tolerate the most dry methinks. Although I repeat they only look really good during the Joon Monsoon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.