New bees chit chat thread...Seed Junkies welcome 09/08-09

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

My thoughts and prayers are with each of you, everyday, no matter where I am. I am grateful to be a part of this great group of gardeners.Come when you can, go when you must. We are all here in spirit if not in words.

Virginia Beach, VA

i had been up since 4:AM , very excited about our 4th baby, wants to post a pic when he was 45 minute old but can not post it. someone tell me how!1 I did not have problem on my home PC but htis lap top is giving me problems.thanks.Belle

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Belle, I do hope you can figure out how to post! I want to see that precious little one! We love babies here! My newest one is now 3 weeks old! He is our mascot on the brug thread, so we can have your newest one be our mascot here! WooHoo! Congrats to the family!
Wish I was better with computers so I could help. All I do is click browse, highlight the picture I want, click open, and it is here. Anything more complicated than that and I am lost! LOL

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Prayers for all who are under stress. Tubby you get better soon, Shirley you get some rest while watching over him. Mekos glad you are feeling better, Clan glad your sister got good news, Belle I don't have a laptop so can't help you maybe Robin can I think she has one attached to her most of the time. Mekos prayers for your extended family as well.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

thats all you do just what Skell said see where it says image below the box that you post in Belle that is where you click if you use firefox browser it comes up all by itself internet explorer you have to wait for the box to pop up then open the folder where the picture is and then click on the picture and click open just below it
let me know if you need more help

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Lol attached lol Mindy!!! I think we lost someone from the other thread she was in another country what was her name she was trying to post pictures too any one remember who she was

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

That's right! I think we lost several. Where are the new peeps, Brittany and Lynn? Are they lost too? We will have to search for some of these I guess. Find them, hunt them down, bring them back! LOL

Virginia Beach, VA

let me try on this thread.

I tried and did not post. i will post when I get home to my PC.Belle

This message was edited Sep 19, 2009 8:19 AM

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Go gettum Skell bring them home!! We cant wait to see Belle...Hug the new one for us!!

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi arejay Gm To all

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning Flower

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

You gotta see these.....
http://www.tempotwo.com.au/New_Introductions.html#0

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

These are so beautiful. I can almost smell them. Such beauty
for too short a time. I love Iris. I think I love all plants. Thanks

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I can't get it to open . just feezes my computer up.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

finally go to see them .
Hey has any one seen mekos this morning? Hope she is feeling better, and not caught that flu from the BIL.

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Goodmorning everyone... I sure hope all those that were sick are feeling better... Been raining here for a week or more...DH was off last week and we got nothing done outside due to the rain.... I had such big plans for him(LGing and
hauling pecan hulls)...guess he got lucky...Looks like no sunshine here for the next few days... I have more irises coming, hope it dries up a lil so I can get them planted..

We had a football injury last night one of the boys got a broken rib
and punctured his lung now in childrens hospital so lets keep him in our prayers plz.

Morning All

Looking for Newbies? Julesgrow and Sue from the Islands. I'll dmail them.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Hey you guys, I am much better today. Didn't get flu, just something with my health.(same o same o). The BIL's brother is in Arizona, no one has been around him, he caught it out there, but got over it a few weeks ago, they think it did some damage back then that just got worse lately. He passed away this morning. Would appreciate it if you would keep the family in prayer during this time.
Welcome all the newbies! Bring on the babies! We'll have them gardening before they can walk or talk. Another new "mascot". Now we got a lasagna mascot and and a brug mascot. WOW, we're doing good. Seeds spreading everywhere, and growing.
Will check back in later. Have a good day.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

My thoughts are with you and your extended family Jan.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Continued prayers for you and your extended family Jan.
Now all we need is a baby for the New Bees thread and we'll be set.
I hope ILJ is feeling better and can join us again soon.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Get well wishes for all.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Have a question for those of you who have crinum lilys in colder zones. Do I leave them out until frost get the leaves or do I dig them up before it gets down to a certain temperature?
Been collecting touch me not and Minvera Rose of Sharon seeds. Printing my own envelopes to store them in as I go. Just need to figure out what one seed pod came off of that hubby brought in I think he did anyway don't think it came from anyone on here. Will post a picture of it later along with the seeds and see if anyone knows what it is.
Looks like my Lion's Tail is going to bloom before long.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Mindy, this is my first year with crinum lilies, but I'm taking mine up before first frost and put in a pot to store in the greenhouse for winter. Don't want to lose it. I'm in zone 7.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I have Crinums too, and my first year. I have a few babies and I planted them in the ground and put good soil and mulch around the bulbs. They have no leaves of course but I do have one other Crinum that I found that does. Should I move mine? I don't have a greenhouse, so that kinda sucks if I do ;(

I am getting so brave! I drove to Paris today, (not in France unfortunately, lol) and drove by a house with a huge Canna garden of pink & red. So, despite my son's embarrassment, I stopped, and asked for some. A nice older man and he was impressed with my knowledge of all he had in his yard. (Thanks to all of you of course) and he had a hibby with big sized red flowers he said. (I have been wanting red realllly bad) And it was covered in dried seed pods, tee hee hee. So I got one and showed him all the seeds and he said I could take all I wanted, so I got 5 or 6 full of seeds ;-) I'm so impressed with myself and my new found begging skills, LOL Then I got his address so I can send him some of my white hibby seeds.. So now I have 5 different cannas! yay me.. ok shutting up now, lol NITE

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

You go Mechelle! Got to get seeds one way or another. Talk to someone who Knows about the crinums, Not me. I got mine from Blondie and Another friend called Flower, and Blondie told me they wouldn't live outside here so that is why I was taking mine in. I don't want to lose them. Someone from Florida told me you could take tropicals and cut off the green to the ground and compost thick over them and they would be ok, but not going to risk these babies. Thought I might try that on my white Bird of Paradise. It will get too big to take in and out so gonna compost it this year and see if it works. We don't usually get frost until over in Nov. so got time to get info. on it.
Good night all, turning in for tonight. Had to take some medications and just checking in while I was up.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

The criniumn are a tropical and they do need to come inside. Just store in a cool place Not cold. Temp should be about 65-70 degrees.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Thank you Flower now answer my question of when to bring them in please. After frost gets the leaves or before the temperature drops to a certain point? Our first frost isn't due until the middle of October here.

Orlando, FL

good morning all,
wow mechelle goood deal, i do that all the time that is how i got alot of things. i kinda feel like an idiot some times lol but it works in the long run. i have a friend i met here on DG that lives down the street from me what is the chance of that. we do alot i go to her yard she comes to mine.
well, i am off to work you all have a wonderful day may all your brugs sprout today.
mine didnt lol
blondie

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

We're finally getting some rain! Not much good for my yard work but it sure has been dry.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Morning All - already into my second cup of coffee.

Pretty quiet around here, must be a sleepy Sunday.

Al

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

In before first frost. Sorry about that LOL

Oh we finally got rain this morning too thank goodness it was getting really dry here. Storms if you prefer is what we got.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info on the Crinum. It's kind of weird here. Everything that should have sprouted up in the spring came up in summer/fall. I went to that nursery and she had the most beautiful elephant ears. Some with leaves 2ft x 2 ft. It was actually the nicest nursery I had ever been to. Everything was so clean and beautiful. Not a dead leaf in sight. Anyway, I was telling her that I found those elephant ear (colocasia) just random out in the yard near the little pond and that I put them in pots. She said they need shade all the time and that I needed to bring them inside whn it gets cold. She also commented that it was weird that they didn't come up in the spring. hmm. Who knows.

Hey where is that link that arejay gave us for the frost zones & times?

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/a/average-frost-dates
I think this is it Mechelle.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Mechelle,
I am not really sure about being shaded all the time. I have had mine in the morning sun all summer and from what you have said about finding them in the pond area I would venture to say they are the ones for a water area. like the Taros and peace lilies. I was reading this morning where they like lots of sun. It is hard to tell with the EES as one tells one thing and another something else. I think you will just have to try and see what works for you.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

mekos you have mail

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Flower, I brought one in the house and left one outside in a pot and one in the ground to see which one did better. The one in the house has a lot more shoots than the one outside and the one outside has greener leaves. I think I am going to put them together in a large pot and leave them on the front porch where they get some natural light but shaded and see how they like it there. Thank you

Thanks for the link mekos. I was just sitting at the table going through all my new seeds trying to decide which ones I want to start. Jerodsmom sent me some gorgeous brug cuttings and seeds and a blooming plant. Can't wait to see how they look. Gonna do some switching around. I have the hardy geranium (I think you sent it to me, I forget now) in a hanging planter and am going to swap that out with the variegated wandering jew I got yesterday. Huneybunch sent me some, but I guess I didn't baby it enough. My mom would love this, that is one of her favorite plants. I need to call her today btw, lol. Need to go do some reading up on stratifying. Do you guys keep your seeds in the refrigerator?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Heck Mechelle some of us will go to blows for the fridge rights!! TTY all soon. I am off for a bit.
Robin.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Yes Mechelle, some store seeds there or some less bright bulbs-like me, forgot to do that first and sowed seeds so pots sitting in baggies with dirt and seeds are in mine. People open the door to get a drink and see the pots and start yelling MOM, what are flower pots doing in the fridge? Then go whisper and ask my husband if I'm ok? Never a dull moment.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL, I know my family thinks I'm crazy with all this gardening I have been doing too. lol,, Oh well we'll see how crazy they think I am when my yard looks awesome next year!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Ive been here almost a year..so friends family and extended family know for sure...I am nuts!! I think this thread before was called the seed nut something or other...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.