Next years orders anyone?

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Anyone feel like sharing their shopping list(s) for next years’ dahlias? Can you tell I’m obsessed? Maybe a little…
Interesting (though I didn’t notice till I made this list), the majority of what I’ve ordered is in my two “least favorite” colors-orange and yellow! Many of you changed my mind with your photos.

This is only what I’ve ordered from Swan Island and Cowlitz. I still have several I want from Accent, Homestead, Connells and Wynne’s. Where are all these going to fit?!?!?

If anyone has suggestions for must-haves, please feel free to suggest. I’ve made my picks from all of you who post your beautiful pictures!!!!

Reds: Envy (AA), Cheyenne (BB), Taratahi Ruby (WL)
Pinks: Bahama Mama (B), Mingus Toni (BB)-not true pinks, but blends in that family.
Purple/Dark Red/”Black”: Esmerelda (BB), Kenora Macab (B)
Oranges: Candlelight (B), Surprise (AA), Hollyhill Electra (A), Papa’s Benji (B), Woodland’s Wildthing (B)
Yellows: Cynthia Louise (A), Ferncliff Pride (A), Money Glory (WL), Wynn’s Conquistador (AA)

I still must have Hamari Accord, AC Garfield, Fidalgo Julie, Maniac, Pennhill Dark Monarch, and Bracken Lorelei. Oye-what an addiction!

Carrie

ETA: Ick-did I actually type "Money GLory"? I meant MONET!

This message was edited Oct 5, 2009 8:45 PM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Haven't finished with lists yet but Bahama Mama was a big favorite of the neighbors last year and Penhill Dark Monarch was a favorite of mine. This year I'm determined to order Fidalgo Julie!

Well, if you forget to order it (FJ), I can probably give you one. I'm ordering several tubers, so there should be an extra floating around. I'm wondering if I should plant Dark Monarch in a shadier spot due to the super-strong sun here. I would hate to fade it's awesome color out.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's funny, I was just fretting over this very subject. How did I exhaust nearly half of my spots already? Top secret list till I'm done! :)

All I want for Christmas is rebar, cut to length and put in place as I direct. See how easy I am? A few bags of Super Triple Phosphate wouldn't hurt. Has anyone seen the way the prices zoomed up on that product?

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

When do you all actually order? Now or in the spring?

Last year I started ordering in October and finished in spring. The longer we wait the more likely our favorites will be sold out.

I ordered already-within the last few weeks. I am anxiously awaiting some suppliers to start taking orders.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I ordered from Dan's (with Jo North and echoes) already. Waiting on Ferncliff and Abloom 2010 offerings. Like Tod my list is locked in a top-secret vault til all ordering is complete ^_^ I'm going with rebar for some of the biggies next year as I had some issues with the big bamboozlers this year.

Blown Dry is in the path of our prevailing winds and will require three rebar stakes next year.

We need a rebar rating for the big ones!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Outstanding idea pirl so we can plan better. I think Penhill Watermelon is thoroughly disgusted with me as I have him rigged to 3 bamboozlers plus a hoop when he is obviously a rebar man. Maybe even a 2R rating?

Yes, he is. I remember him well from last year and he flops if he isn't well propped.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

okay this is probubly a goofy question but do they send you the plants now or in the spring ?? ( can you tell I'v never grown them?? ) but I would love too;0)
Gloria

Spring.

It's not a silly question. I never knew about fall ordering for the next spring till this year-you have to start somewhere. Like pirl said, some varieties sell out quick. I was on one site (maybe Connell's or BD's???) and a few were already sold out. It's just ridiculously addicting. I'm not even done ordering and I am worried about where they're all going to go.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thank you now I'll go look for some good places to order ;0)
Gloria

The problem comes in when you fall in love with one from one company, three from another, five from another, etc. The shipping charges add up so fast.

Don't overlook Corralitos. They arrive fresh and individually packaged. IF you have your spots prepared in advance it simply can't take more than one minute to plant each one. I love their dahlias. Regardless of what appear to be very immature tubers on the tiny plants they really do grow to full size in the same season. People doubt it but it's true.

Lady Darlene from Corralitos: http://www.cgdahlias.com/

Thumbnail by pirl

It's funny you say that-I just trolled their website last night and found a bunch more I want!!! Lady Darlene is gorgeous!

QQ - their colors are extremely well portrayed online unlike a few others. The great majority are honest with their representations but Blue Bell never was and never will be as portrayed by a minor company in the field, not a major supplier.

Thumbnail by pirl
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Queeq plan to lose some lawn in your future. There is always room for more dahlias if you have a trusty edger. shhhhhh don't tell my DH but I'm already swooping out lawn for next spring )

Oh boy, dnut-I found that out this year (about losing the lawn)! I don't have a lot to begin with. Next year, however, I have the benefit of knowing where they will do best. One spot, where I tore up some precious lawn space, they just did horribly-too much sun. I can envision your DH walking out to the yard one year and be surrounded by rebarred dahlias abloom, saying "what happened?"

Pirl-I'm confused by what you mean about Blue Bell. Do you mean it's not a true blue, or even close?Or that it's been mis-represented as such? I would love to have a semi-blue dahlia, but figured there was no such thing.

I also am curious to know why some choose to keep their lists secret. I suspect I might have an idea, but wonder...

I am ordering from Accent and Corralitos in the next few days, so I will probably order another 10 or so...sigh...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Queeq only secret for small suppliers until after I order. Otherwise if there is a rush they might be sold out and then I would cry.

Ohhhhh....gotcha.

The color is seriously misrepresented (on purpose, I'm sure, to get sales) for Blue Bell.

Okay. I had a feeling, since that is the only picture you ever see for that one-like it's a stock photo. Boohissboo.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Years ago I bought Blue Bell based on a photo that actually showed it as blue as a hydrangea. I was so disgusted I didn't even save tubers. That supplier now has the photo you posted Pirl which is still a HUGE misrepresentation. I do a little bit on shopping in my workshops where I really stress research as it can be so disappointing, especially if you have a small space. I think PF and GWD and our forum are such great resources to be sure you aren't hoodwinked!

I hated it most of all when I was into daylilies. What you see is not what you get.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O but you will get addicted on our forum! Just thought I better say that because full disclosure is in the constitution of Dahliaholics Anonymouse.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I had to confess to my dear Cousin Nut (nutsfordaylilies) that I composted some DLs over the last few weeks. One of the reasons was just that Pirl, not at all what they were claimed to be; the other was poor performance. I really can't be bothered with persnickety ones. I still have some luvly ones though. Of course those were gifted by friends who actually know what they are doing with DLs (snort). I'm taking that road with peonys too. Go with the Peony Goddesses in your life is my theory.

One of the big disappointments was supposed to have 18 buds: fat chance. It didn't have 18 flowers in all the time I had it!

Does the flower at the top resemble the actual bloom in any way? NO!

Thumbnail by pirl
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

That was a $50 disaster!

Just one of many. It's why I stopped buying daylilies.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I know one that I want: Show n Tell

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

One of my all time favorites for size, production and creamy color is Hakuyou from Swan Island.

Blooms as big as my hanging pots.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

Close up of hakuyou,

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, that Hakuyou is impressive! How early do you start it? I usually don't get many blooms before frost.

I put the dahlias right into the ground in May. The Hakoyou is a late bloomer and is blooming now for 2 weeks. Has lots more buds but the cold might stop them from blooming.

I have no room left to start them earlier in pots, although I would like to try to find some room to do it this was next year.

I will also always have Kidd's Climax in my garden.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

For anyone who wears gardening gloves I'd like to mention the co-op now being run for Atlas 370 gloves, also known as Nitrile. The price is half of what stores charge. I love mine and find them so very comfortable that I often forget I'm wearing them. They're never hot, sticky or sweaty.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1044040/

SIgh...I ordered more today. Help me! But what a fun addiction!
AC Garfield (BB Or), Bo-De-O (BB Y), Fidalgo Julie (ST Or/R), Hamari Accord (B Y), Vanquisher (A L/W), Wyn's King Salmon (AA DP), Wyn's Sensation, (A Y).

I found I had been almost forcing myself to choose more pinks and purples for no other reason than I should have an even amount from each color group!!! But, I kept gravitating toward the oranges/bronzes and yellows. So, I have given in and just order what I like!

Rooftop gardens are sounding more and more possible.

Carrie

Keep up the good work, QQ! The economy depends on each of us to do our part!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.