Beaded Jewelry Info Thread

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Posted by someone who wants to get into making beaded jewelry as a hobby. I specifically love anything that sparkles, so although often overused I want to work predominately with Swarowski crystal beads :).

Can anyone recommend for a beginner any favorite (1) book, (2) tools and (3) suppliers for the best references and pricing?

I've got on reserve lots of books from the library that I am excited to learn from and any guidance you could offer to get me started would be great :)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Fire Mountain Gems has everything you will need, from stones to wires, to clasps. They give out free catalogs (at least they used to) filled with ideas. Check their website. firemoutaingems.com.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I second Fire Mountain Gems. They are wonderful. You can also pick up beading magazines at Walmart that are full of ideas.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Having the right tools to work with will make all the difference in how your jewelry turns out. Places like Hobby Lobby and Joann's will have the tools you need and you can get a feel for them. Many times they have their jewelry making supplies on sale too.

I never met a bead I didn't like. :-)

Janet

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Never met a bead I didn't like awwww that's cute!

Thank you for the recommendation!

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

you can try fusionbeads.com also.

I'm not familiar with Fire Mountain Gems, but will be in a minute...

Edinburg, TX

I use FireMountainGems too but lately have been snooping ebay and found there are lots of sellers that sell the same gemstone beads and other beads that normally sell in 16 inch strands cheaper - and most with free shipping at that.

Am interested in making chunky necklace and earring sets for my sister-in-law so if anyone has a good website or source for chunky gemstone beads do let me know.

~ Cat

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Cat, have you tried fusionbeads? They have all kinds of stuff.

Edinburg, TX

Will check out Fusion - I saw their link when I was snooping the web but I got caught up buying stuff on ebay :o)

~ Cat

ps...does anyone have a link or information on where to obtain blank flat wood beads - like the kind they are using to make those religious bracelets. The beads have two holes drilled through the sides. I'd like to find some blank ones to decoupage my own photos on them.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Just found this. I want to move from beaded jewelry to beaded tapestry. Does anyone have some good sources for techniques and ideas?

I forgot to say I like firemountain, ebay, and Joannes as bead sources.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 8:16 AM

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

This is a local store but has a large web store as well. It is a nice store I have never had to buy from the web site.

http://www.bobbybead.com/

Another store I frequent, it has branches around the USA.

http://www.beadniks.com/

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 8:43 AM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Have any of you posted pix of your jewelry?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

No I haven't yet. How about you?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I am not a j-maker; a buyer maybe.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I am in the process of setting up an etsy store. Here is a photo of a piece that I did not to long ago. I have been having trouble getting good photos I just tried scanning this to see if it would work.

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Pretty!
Have any of you jewelry makers ever made replacements to match lost earrings? I have a couple that I love and cannot find duplicates, so I'd like to find someone to make them if possible. Thanks!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Love the necklace zenpotter. Did you use a magnetic clasp for it? If so , where did you get yours? I always worry about the strength of the magnets, will they hold well enough. Let us know the name of your Etsy store, I enjoy looking on there.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I've seen those magnetic clasps advertised, and I also wondered if they were reliable.

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

my mother uses them for necklaces, they work well. I imagine you get what you pay for, she buys higher quality ones.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Weird, I wrote a reply and it didn't post. I like the magnetic clasps, but they are not all alike. I have seen them on the web, but I bought theses locally. My etsy store isn't up and running yet. Things like that take me a long time. I would rather be doing something fun.

(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

I need to check these threads more often
Here is another place you can get beading supplies

http://www.orientaltrading.com/craft-hobby-supplies/beads/beading-supplies-a1-388783-2-0.fltr

http://www.consumercrafts.com/Store/Default.aspx

I have used both of these companies

Tustin, CA

You might want to try Rings & Things, also. http://www.rings-things.com/

At this point I would never pay retail prices for beads & supplies at local craft stores, not when you can find things so much cheapier with online wholesalers.

I'll share a few of my projects, if you don't mind. There's 3, but I suppose I'll have to do one per post.

Thumbnail by drumsm
Tustin, CA

The next two, I'm not sure how great the photo came out, but this one was my personal favorite of the 3. (These necklaces were Xmas gifts for my partner's mother and 2 sisters.)

Thumbnail by drumsm
Tustin, CA

In this last one, the crystal looks broken, but it's not--it just got tilted up in the photo. I'm not all that great with a camera, unfortunately.

Thumbnail by drumsm
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Oooo, those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Edinburg, TX

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing too!

~ Cat

Chester Springs, PA

Hi, I'm new here (came to learn about gardening and find myself on the jewellery-making forum! I love to make jewellery). Just thought I'd add artbeads.com to the list of websites for beads, they are pretty good, have good swarovski prices, even for small orders, and often have coupon codes.

Nice jewellery photos :)
(I find setting my camera on the close up option at the highest pixel setting gives the best photos. Crystals also photograph best in natural sunlight, if possible.)

Rushville, IN(Zone 5b)

here is some of mine

Thumbnail by sissy70
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Pretty!

Crozet, VA

How fun!!!! Thanks to all who shared the websites and especially for showing pictures of their artistry. Beautiful work all!!! Zenpotter, so great to see you involved in something that is bringing you much joy. I don't do bead work but love it and I too often can't resist adding to my jewelry collection, so would be considered a buyer. A friend of mine has been beading for some time and has been involved in a few local markets recently. I gave several of her pieces as Christmas gifts this year as well as bought a few beauties for myself.

I am anxious to see more pics. Great work everyone.

Ruby

Chester Springs, PA

I have some pics at www.gfmjewellery.net

I like to see others' work too :)

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Lovely!

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice!

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

I like the jewelry.

Chester Springs, PA

thanks! :)

anyone else got some photos or a website?

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Here is a few pair of earrings I've made.

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

When you get all that jewelry made you will need a jewelry box in the wall to hold it all. It has a full length mirror on the outside. Hubby built it with my help.

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Chester Springs, PA

Wow! Lovely jewellery and a great storage idea!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is a great storage idea! What a great job!

Has anyone tried making their own beads out of Fimo or Super Sculpey? My Mom used to do that. Not sure if I posted pictures elsewhere. I may have to get some ones.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I just saw a lady on tv that made $500 million dollars with her earring storage rack...curvesarein should try marketing that one! Hey, ya never know!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images