smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i got an azalea from my fiances mothers funeral...i need to see if the ones that come from the florist are hardy at all...if not can they be grown in the house...i know nothing about plants that flower....it is a bushy type plant...there were azaleas there that looked like trees with twisted trunks but this one is like a bush...thanks in advance....cindy

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Hi.
Just in case nobody has one inside, I figured I would share what's in my houseplant book. :)

Cool temps - 50-60 F
Bright light away from direct sunlight
Keep compost wet at all times - use soft water
Mist leaves daily during flowering season
After flowering, move to a cool but frost-free room. Keep fed, watered, and sprayed until early autumn, then move back to original location.

Hope This Helps.
-Jennifer

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

There are azalea varieties that are hardy in sub-freezing temperatures, but those are not the types that are commonly used as potted plants sold by florists.

However, even those prefer cool temps and don't do well in our typically warm and dry winter homes. They also require a great deal of direct sunlight and will not tolerate dry soil. All of these conditions make azaleas very difficult plants for most people unless they have a very sunny windowsill in a room that stays at 60 degrees or less.

Good luck with yours, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't do well.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

can someone tell me what kind does well outside?...im in zone 5, mid missouri...this was my fiances mothers favorite plant and i wanted to keep this(or get one that i can keep, forever)in her memory...she used to keep such a lovely garden, fruit trees and floweres....also, when is a good time to split up or seperate peonies?...i thought i might go back up home and get some of her peonies as noone there will appreciate them or take care of them like i would...can it be done now or in the spring?

thanks yall
cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.