what didn't make and other autumn diversions

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

we came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1033285/

Thumbnail by DenverJude
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks Jude. We needed that. Beautiful leaves, too.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

At DwiD's suggestion, I'm sending a reply to Jocko Flugnome, whose cryptic message appeared to be a ransom note for dear Dahlianut, but turned out to be either a hoax or a mistranslation.

My reply in English:
Dear no-beard Jocko Flugnome,
I'm afraid your message did not reach its intended recipient. If you are one of Santa's elves, we would be ever so delighted to meet with you in Canmore and help in any way we can. However, we have no truck with gnomes, as diplomatic ties were severed eons ago. Please note that we cannot bring fireworks across the border.
Picante

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm actually going to send him the Tagalog version (which made a detour via Thai on Google translate), which says approximately this:

Beardless Flugnome monkey love.
I fear that your message is not the purpose of the recipient. If you are one of Santa's elves, we will have to find your favorite in Canmore and the way we can. But we are not truck with Gnomes diplomatic relations are severed eons again. Please note that we can bring fireworks across the border.
Picante.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Please note that if you want to try this yourself on Google translate, Tagalog is listed as "Filipino".
One of those two languages clearly had a problem with negatives. Tagalog is the one that threw in the monkey.

Reno, NV

Monkey Love! Snort that'll get their attention.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brilliant response Picante to those very confusing armless flugnomes! Methinks there is subterfuge in the works. Maybe it's a plot to kidnap the GC :O and they just got confused by me halluciflying about.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes, anything is possible. We will be on the lookout for pumpkin snatchers.

I also wondered if perhaps it was one of Santa's Latvian or Estonian elves writing to ask you a question about your Christmas wish list to Santa. Because there was that bit about filling "sleigh of Claws". You didn't ask Santa for a laptop, did you?

Although that doesn't explain why the message got diverted to me.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I didn't ask for a laptop or a grappling hook or fireworks although methinks a grappling hook would be a handy thing to have.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

A grappling hook would be a useful thing to have. I would also like to have a personal helicopter.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

LOL - This is the FUNNIEST thread yet!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A chopper would be handy too but I would still like a dragon as they don't need a landing pad. Do you have a landing pad Dave-who-is-dave?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Just my driveway. The personal sized choppers don't need as much space.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Which works better at high altitudes?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Dragons are warmer.

Santa Fe, NM

Dragons can change their size now in order to land on lily pads or other small spaces. It's a design improvement. Glad you have rejoined us, Dahlianut! My F.I.L. would like the fireworks, please, as he sets them off on New Years Eve regardless of legality. He has no fear of incarceration at his age. Picante, good translating! It looks plenty lucid to me.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

So what happens to you if you're riding and they shrink like that, Roybird.

Santa Fe, NM

My dragon has been very well behaved but I've heard some interesting stories about "accidents". Of course, this sort of thing must be taken in to account. Treat your dragon well! My dragon is currently on vacation due to the roofing. It makes her nervous and I'm afraid she might incinerate someone. Then we could end up with an unfinished roof all winter!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Great thread. Did anyone bring the iron?

Santa Fe, NM

The curling iron? Do you remember those electrical curling clamp-brushes? Probably used by the children of the sheet ironers. The evolution of small appliances...from irons to iPods. A learned book I would want not to read.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, but that is Social History, a most interesting focus when rightly done.

I used to iron my daddy's handkerchiefs. I was so proud to be able to do that for him. This was back in the depths of the dark ages, of course. ;-)

Irons make great garden ornaments. Kind of akin to hoses in an odd way.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

If you get the really old fashioned kind of iron it has a hose that goes from the water tank to the iron. Granted, it's not a long hose and usually not green, but a hose none the less. I had a couple months of experience with one when I was a very poor college student. But the string of cummy student jobs was definitely worth the education I think.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Irons are too rude for the garden methinks. I plugged mine in when I first got it just to see what would it do and it spit at me :(

Santa Fe, NM

I have known people who enjoyed ironing, the heat, the steam, the repetitive motion. It does have a meditative aspect. And imagine using lavender scented water, therapeutic. Imagine having the time to be an old school domestic goddess. I would want a "still room" where I would dry herbs and keep my concoctions. I sort of do that anyway, as I think many gardeners do. And how about making liquors and essential oils? There are some old timey things that i dearly love. But ironing sheets is weird. In fact, I'm liking the idea of being a witch probably better than being a domestic goddess, now that I consider it !

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I have a bit of witching experience. I once helped a friend to turn someone into a toad. It worked, and turned out to be a worthwhile endeavor. But she did all the research, and I don't remember the exact formula. Haven't really needed that one since.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O I am so witchish about herbs. I dry my herbs and make concoctions with them and vinegars and oils. I say I'm making 'salad dressings' but really I'm just making concoctions: some are just for smelly purposes and others for touchy purposes and some are just prettiful to look at. I used to make liquours too but they were very strong and made peoples fall down (oops)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It has been my observation that the people who deserve toadifying have already done it to themselves.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes indeed, DwiD. Occasionally a community needs to see that person's toadiness brought to light before he/she shreds the entire community due to being very persuasive due to lying so very sincerely.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The woman in the 5th Harry Potter book was a good example. Umbridge. Very unlikable character.

One thing that I have puzzled over is the "bringing to light" of one of these unsavory characters. I've observed some and you hang yourself if you point out the toad too soon or don't do it smartly. Sometimes its years before people realizes the person is a toad.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

It is far easier to let everyone figure it out for themselves, but encouragement in that direction can be helpful if challenging. That is one of the reasons I love using the intention "Let the truth be revealed so right action follows" in a CCT session. All sorts of interesting clarity comes in unexpected ways, and done in a group situation it can really get wild. Terribly effective although not warmly embraced by lying toads. That is my single most plagiarized intention among CCT practitioners. Of course, it is not really plagiarism since I invite anyone to use it that wants to do so. I find it works nicely on myself when I need to be less confused too, ha!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

what is CCT?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Umbridge oozed insincerity. I'm talking about someone who has charisma and charm, is funny and likable.

Yes, my friend did indeed hang herself trying to expose this character. That's why she sought my help with a little witchery. He is still telling people that she is the most evil woman in the world. That, I'm afraid, is a sign of just how successful we were.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

The ones with the most effective camouflage are the most difficult, which is where CCT really does the job. It does not violate any one's free will and choice, so they can keep lying away if they want to, but it will simply be obvious to everyone else.

CCT is Crystalline Consciousness Technique. It is for healing, evolving, manifesting, etc. and there is a website.

So what sort of potion did you use, Picante?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I can't remember, Mulch. It was too many years ago.

Is it still lying if you believe what you are telling people? That was my take on why his camouflage worked. He rewrote all the events and believed the new version. I'm not sure what you call that.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

How about delusion and denial? Those kinds of characters are amazingly resilient until they hit some kind of personal wall, but until that is ready to happen, they seem totally immune to anything but their own version of "reality" -- no fun to deal with at all.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've seen that too picante. One word for it is psychosis. Not able (or willing) to see reality for what it is. I have wondered about the division between able and willing. I observed a person making the choice (to my eyes) not to see the reality because it was unpleasant. The delusion was pushed in the direction of genuine belief and the element of belief made the person more convincing to others. I do not think it was believed all the way to the core as this person had a need to push the lie out there harder than you would think appropriate. From Shakespear's MacBeth, "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much" is a quote I indentified with.

On the other side is getting to that crystal clear perception of reality as it is. Credits to mulch but I'm not sure I have the same idea and don't want to misrepresent her. Most people seem content with and even resolute on popular opinion. Sometimes a little critical thinking or the right statement from somebody gets you past the opinion and to a clearer truth. People can resist it. I can understand why as it can be unpleasant to not have the popular point of view on some subjects. I've made statements that were too big a leap for people to make the connection. Three years later it was clear enough and I was respected and not thought the nut any more (at least for that), but I had to wait that out. Other statements are still pending. Wisdom in hindsite is to have discernment about when it is necessary and beneficial to put something out there. How is still a question.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Psychosis is delusion and denial that has taken root.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

What an interesting discussion! And all because Roybird made that fascinating contrast between domestic goddess and witch.

I have had trouble understanding why people become resolute, as you say, to stay with popular opinion. Maybe it's a mind-blower to start seeing how much of that common knowledge is fabricated and swallowed hook, line and sinker. I don't know.

The people I most admire are whistle-blowers and those who persistently question authority. And of course, those who expose double-speak. Noam Chomsky is very good at that.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The level-headed whistle-blowers for sure.

Its hard to say how much of popular opinion is in our thinking. I've noted the times I've encountered variations in popular opinion across time or cultures. "They thought that? How weird." Moving or visiting another place for an extended period is helpful. I've appreciated being able to pick and choose from the differences.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I never wish evil on anyone, for that is evil itself, and will always ricochet. I do believe people bring upon themselves their own (for lack of a better word), Karma... so I know that if someone is evil or hurtful, eventually it will smack them upside their head. Sometimes, the patience is an issue, but I believe it best to let nature take it's course. I feel the same about practicing good... karma can be slow but it cannot be denied. I don't need to do or be anything but me. Time always tells it's story.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.