Update on Billy

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I thought I would update you all on Billy..
The following is a picture of him on his new horse. Chief comes to us by a lease program, he is a 12 year old paint, this year he placed 13th in barrels and 17th in poles at state fair 4 H with a little 10 year old girl riding him. The lease deal is we can keep him as long as we want, pay for his feed and give him a home. Chief and Billy can grow together, Chief will teach Billy.. I have seen Chief blow a hole thru the wind, so he is fast when need be. I am not yet going to open the arena gate and let them go, he will spend one more year in the lead class before I let him ride by himself..

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Billy chief and aunti Jimi

Thumbnail by MissJestr
South Hamilton, MA

Seems that chief is used to kids. You're right, a bit speedy for Billy at the moment.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

He's gorgeous!! He and Billy will grow together. :~)

South Hamilton, MA

How old is Billy now? Of course he has no strength, but must get the idea to control the horse with the reins even if he can't do it. Do you know a good instructor for kids? Lucky boy to learn at a young age.

Richmond, TX

I bet Miss J taught him a lot of that when they rode double on her horses.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Good idea not to let him go too young. You don't want to sour him on the sport by having a bad fall too young. I'd suggest getting him an old pony to play with for his first riding without anybody holding him. He'' learn balance, strengthen his whole body and if he does fall it won't be far to the ground. An old pony won't be wanting to move too fast. Chief is really pretty. He has a good horse there to look forward to. I've been wondering where you guys have been and what you've been up to. Good to hear from you.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

That second picture really shows how happy it makes him!

I am so glad he's not a velcro baby!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

He is very strong for his age, I am amazed at what he can do, he will carry a flake to the horses and shove it thru to feed them. . I keep forgetting he will be 4 in January, (I have always treated him like an older child) I think I kind of pushed him without knowing it, into knowing how to hold himself on a horse, and how to ride. He does know how to lead on a lead rope, he has always held the end with me between him and a horse, so he thought he was leading. I put him in the round pen on a horse, with the horse in my pocket and let him think he is operating them. The horse looks to me for direction, jut the way I like it..
Since it is just me and him taking care of them, he does alot more than what his sister and brother can do, I have seen that . I see other kids his age, and wonder if he is not wise in his years,,,

Richmond, TX

Billy is definitely getting a head start in life, what a lucky little boy!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Porkpal, I think sometimes I am the lucky one... I see life thru his eyes, and it makes me smile.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Here is his first Gymkana on Chief... They were loping home and see that he is out of the saddle and the girl Auystin behind him is off of his back. They had a blast

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

My Grand daughter Harmie on her first Gymkana riding with Melissa

This message was edited Nov 25, 2009 7:41 PM

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

My Grandson Dodge in his First Gymkana, he is not the horse person, but had a blast, I have him a sponser for the rest of the season and he will ride Cheif riding with Melissa

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

The Family, My daughter Tiffany, Billys Mother, Billy, Harmie and Dodge

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Richmond, TX

I think you've found a winner in Chief - Billy's been a winner from the start.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Good the other kids can enjoy country life too. Billy must feel like an old hand teaching the "new kids".

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

It is a good day today. Thund'r is going out to my brothers ranch to get finished before I sell him, and Chief comes home to our ranch today... Billy will be responsible for his care and keep, and will form a stronger bond with him since he will be seeing him every day..

Life is good.

South Hamilton, MA

Best way for Billy to become a real horseman, I'm sure that Chief will enjoy himself as well.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Good news. How old is Thunder now? We haven't seen any recent pics of him.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Thund'r is 3 12 years old, and left the ranch yesterday. As the trailer pulled thru the arena gates to leave, I cried. My brother stopped the truck and got out and told me its ok sissa, the next time he comes home he will be ride able. I have thought long and hard and instead of selling him, I am selling my horse Gracie. I cant bear to part with him, and yesterday as he was running alongside Billy, it broke my heart. I see the bond that those two have, and Thund'r kept looking down to find Billy, Billy was never in danger. So its a sacrifice, but Gracie will sell faster as a trailteam penning and some Gymkana experience better then a green broke horse. Chief comes home today at 1pm Pictures will follow

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

It is hard isn't it!?

Did Chief make it safe and sound?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Is Thunder still a stallion? Did you ever find out anymore about his dam's whereabouts?

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

No Cajun, Jest'r is long gone, I can only hope she is happy where she is. I look for her often, but have not heard a word.

I got Thund'r Gelded as I wanted him to be Billys horse and easier to handle.

Jenks, Chief came home yesterday when we were out in the arena with Chyanne, did not have time to get camera. I put Chyanne up and then they let him loose. Billy ran up to him and hugged his front leg, and Chief did nothing. Then he started Trotting and Billy ran with him for a little while. It was fun to watch. I know that they are going to get along just right.

His saddle should come out of the shop her in the next few days so he can start riding again.

South Hamilton, MA

Chief sounds like a jewel. good to have horses who deal well with kids.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I am truly lucky Iris to have this horse in Billys life.... no matter what I have to give up to make it happen.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I would think Chief is going to be a horse that Billy remembers long after he is grown.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

irisMA I thought about you today. Billy and I went to Home Depot today to get our Christmas tree. It is a lovely 6.5 foot and still fluffing out...
Anyhoo they loaded it on one of them dolly carts and I told Billy to wait by his tree so I could bring the truck around. He informed me he could push it to the truck. So I figured what the hay... Off he set pushing the dolly cart all by himself thru the garden exit to my truck. I had to marvel at him, he did not hit a thing... Imagine my shock when I put the bags in the truck and walked around the back to see him perfectly lining up the cart with the back of the truck to load the tree.

I went to host the tree up, and the home depot guy came to assist. The HD guy commented he would take the cart back when Billy replied, Nope I can do it. Then Billy pushed the cart back to the cart return. I was impressed and thought about how strong my little man was.

I hope that I have not encouraged him too much to be independent, but am happy that he can do what he sets his mind to.. I thought about your comment about him being strong enough to handle a horse, and I can truly answer now....
Yep I think he is.

South Hamilton, MA

Quite a feat for a 4 yr. old.

Medina, OH

Way to go, Billy. Keep it up! S.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Iris, this is for you, we worked on stopping today, he did really good

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Turning

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

His instructor...LOL

Thumbnail by MissJestr
South Hamilton, MA

Glad that he is working at his riding. My comments were worries about his safety. Chief seems to be a good pony for a child.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

After the ride

Thumbnail by MissJestr
South Hamilton, MA

Chief says 'scratch me, please'.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

No worries Iris, I like Horse people that express their worries and I wanted to put your mind to ease... Do I think he will ever fall, Yes I do, Do I hope it will not hurt, Yep, but being a horse person with many bruises and boo boo's I know it comes with the territory. I like your comments, and maybe sometime someone needs to open my eyes...

South Hamilton, MA

Billy seems enthusiastic & glad that he & chief are getting along so well. We all do & have fallen off horses. Perhaps they bounce more at an earlier age.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

LOL or as cold as it was here, the many layers he had on protected him...

South Hamilton, MA

Cold & icy here, all local horses are wearing blankets. Layers help with warmth as well as protection. Just came upstairs to shut off the computer for the night. I had to do it earlier also as thunder & lightening came through. Usually doesn't happen in Dec.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images