My New Addition... Pachypodium Saundersii

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Well here is my new addition. It is kinda like a desert rose but it has wicked spikes! I was cursing the whole time I was trying to pot it... lol... I can't wait to see blooms!! *happy dance*

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Another pic...

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

It'd have to have awfully wonderful flowers to entice me to own one, whew.

I hope it blooms soon so you can show us flowers!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi Jamie, plant is beautiful, should put out very lovely flowers for you, had one 7 years ago, but I lost it to rot due to to much rain that year. Even though it put out beautiful bloom I would not recommend it to anyone who is diabetic for good reason and when handling use gloves against the thorns, very pointy indeed, sharper than a needle they are and penetrate the skin easier too and believe me they hurt for a week.

Wilfred

Decatur, GA

Nice plant! My P.saundersii finally bloomed last summer. They were very pretty.
I use the scissor-like kitchen tool you would use it pick up hot foods when I handle a plant with sharp spikes. It makes it easy to pick up and position the plant in the pot. I found that gloves that were thick enough to prevent the spikes from sticking me were too thick for any kind of careful work with the plant. Plus with the gloves you end up picking it up by the spikes and often damaging them.
Wilfred that is a good point (pardon the pun) about diabetics.
Helen

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Helen and Wilfred!!

That is a great idea about that kitchen tool, how long did you have the P. saundersii before it bloomed?

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Helen that scissor-like kitchen tool is a great idea, good to handle any type of plant with thorns or sharp spikes on them, thanks for sharing your input on handling them.

Wilfred

Decatur, GA

I got my plant when it was small. It bloomed the next summer.
Here is a picture.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Awesome plant
I hope to acquire one someday.
Try using newspaper or a brown bag wrapped around it to repot.
I use the tongs too but they break the thorns sometimes.
I have a 3.5 foot tall Pachy Lamerii
Talk about move lol!!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I had one of thse plants and promptly disposed of it, I did not realize it had such sharp thorns, it reminded me of the cactus I had when my son was young and fell into them, took forever to get out all the thorns, and I promised I would never have thortny flowers again.

Doris

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Nice! I hope it grows a nice fat belly for you.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Yikes Kareoke I can see why you would have issues!!! I keep it out of reach of my kids, I will be sure as time passes to keep this into consideration! Sorry to hear about your son...

Lakeside... me too! Excited to see it flower.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Helen that is a beautiful plant you got there, its really outstanding in appearance, I had one once but I gave it away to a dear friend of mien who really like it as a farewell gift when he moved away, he was my next door neighbor. Really miss the nice times we had together fixing our gardens.

Hey Jamie, hope yours grows as beautiful as Helen's did, this plant are so beautiful, you just have to be a little careful with the thorns especially if your a diabetic person.

Oh! BTW, it looks like a nice plant you could scratch you back with if it itches and there's nobody around to scratch it for you, LOL!
Just kidding, not a good idea at all. thorn are to sharp for that purpose.

Wilfred

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Could hair brushes be fashioned into a tool to handle cactus and things with spines and thorns? I haven't gone to the store and looked at the display of the plastic kinds of hairbrushes, they look like dog brushes, to think of how they could be fastened, several of them on each side, to big tongs or something.

I think the hardware store's garden center has these plants right now, such thorns!!!

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

When transplanting it seems you can always find a few spots without spines. I've even grabbed a ferocactus right in the spines, as long as you hold them gently and balance you won't draw blood.
They sell leather welding gloves pretty cheap some places- those would work too. I think the old time standard is folding a newspaper until it is about 3 inches wide and then wrapping around the cactus, but I've found that too cumbersome, and sometimes the plant slips out of the newspaper!

Decatur, GA

I have used bath towels to hold thorny plants. Also for really tall ones I use a sheet because it can cradle a lot of the plant when it is moved. The fabric is gentle and you can twist the ends of the material together for a good handle. And then when I do stick myself, which I always do, I have something handy to stop the bleeding. ^_^
Helen
PS. Thanks for the compliments on my plant Wilfred!

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

A bath towel is a good idea!

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

you could also cut off the thorns with clippers to make an area where u could grasp it

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.