Autumn Diversions Continued

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Oops, cross-posted. Thanks for that clarification, Dear Dahlia.
Piper was straying at will when she was found by her previous pack leaders. Just a pup, straying about.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Perhaps she was OT?

Or perhaps, everyone who is called OT is truly only innocently straying at will.

I kind of like that.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I don't think anyone would learn much at all in life without straying off topic. As for dogs, they are excellent at it, and by the way, are some of the happiest spirits in the Universe as we know it.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

What does this phrase "On Topic" mean? Or "Off Topic"? I don't understand. ;-p

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have been on this forum since its inception and I can't think of anything that is OT ( off topic) by our standards. Now I have been warned not to get off topic on the Healthy LIving forum when I disagreed with the person who started the topic. The person who starts the tread is sort of informally considered its owner. But usually when people get OT on the Rocky Mountain Forum we all jump in on the discussion. Let's say our unwritten rules are pretty free form here.
I think admin deleted a picture Sof posted of himself jumping into a lake in the buff -- rear view only -- for reasons of its own. I think most of us didn't really notice that much what he was wearing, or in this case, not wearing.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh, that's a riot!

Santa Fe, NM

I thought OT was occupational therapy! Which, depending on one's occupation, straying about at will might just be. Sounds like a gaggle of Taoists wandering at large. Nothin' like some OT time. The pause that refreshes. What disgusting thing did I say about the government? Like something implying there might be some questionable business practices in the banking and mortgage sector? I must have been kidding. Heh. Heh. You know me, good citizen to the max. When they impound my computer for suspicion of sedition, ya'll can vouch for me! I'm old and harmless. Unlike Pajarito, who is a big time trouble-maker! Healthy living is a risky place to abide. We need Rocky Mt. forums to balance out.

Santa Fe, NM

Good morning, Picante, we crossed posts! I have not had coffeee yet. Can you tell?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Nope, roybird. I'm not that talkative before the morning cup of brew (green tea, in my case).

Kyla & Brenda, I do believe you've hit the nail on the head. Although from the dog's perspective, I'm not sure there are different topics. They might all be the same. I'll go ask Piper.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

If I were Sof I would be perhaps a bit perturbed if no one cared what I was wearing or not wearing.

Is this OT or is it OT?

I have had my coffee but I wonder if it did any good....

Santa Fe, NM

I have my coffee now. I'll calm down! How you doin', Kyla, with the new place?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Answers to questions:
The dog is definitely cleaner. He smells better too.
Zerbeebee has books to read. He does enjoy reading once he has to read a story, but seems to have that aversion to most books that boys his age do. There are a few books he will read. He has read the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series.

I'm glad there are no punishments dahlianut. For a while there I thought there might be some hidden weirdness, but nope: its not hidden. Its all visible on the surface.

OT, some forums seem to have topic hijackers that change it in a subversive and selfish way. Then others try to control the group to keep them on the subject at hand. One of the reasons I like this group: we don't try to control the conversation. We let it go freely and give to it as we can.

BTW, what was the topic?

Santa Fe, NM

Autumn Diversions. A perfect title for our diverting conversations.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think Sofer's picture removal exemplifies the "off" topic.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

My birthday thread went on for ten days, and wandered from the Great Plum Endeavor to DwiD's rock-eating dog.
Just an example of our original and diverting conversational style.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wow, all that for your birthday??? You have been deeply honored.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

One reason our conversation, and Dave's Garden as a whole, work so well is that people tend to stay off controversial subjects -- especially religion and politics. I do love to talk about politics -- less so about religion -- but the forums that allow such dialogs quickly degenerate into name calling, so I stay off such forums and only talk politics and religion with friends who I know are willing to disagree politely and most of those turn out to be people who agree with me.
I love all the meanderings of our threads hear on the Rocky Mountain forum. And I like that everyone posts pictures and talks about animals. I am such a sucker for animals -- except gophers. And l love that you all allow me to rail against gophers and don't get mad at me for the gopher murders I have committed. At least I didn't use any poisons or explosives although I omitted the latter for fear of blowing up my house, not out of humanity.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes indeed, Mulch. Highly entertained and deeply honored is approximately the same thing, IMO.
(PJ, that stands for "in my opinion", or anything else you'd like to make up.)

And PJ, you can rail against gophers, Dnut can rail against squirrels (although she never calls them squirrels, we know who she's talking about), Dave can rail against thorns, and I don't get laughed at for agonizing over digging up my clematis.

It's all very freeing.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

but explosives are fun!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Just ask Dahlia.

Santa Fe, NM

I talk about religion and politics almost all the time except when I'm distracted by other things. Which happens the rest of the time. Seriously, I have had occasions where I had to try hard not to lose my equanimity. On a lighter note, sometimes I just lost it anyway! How is your roof, Paja? You hadn't posted for awhile so I thought it might be in process. I am writing on here a lot today because I am avoiding scrubbing my kitchen floor. I think the old linoleum has lost it's surface "gloss" and should be replaced or have something creative done to it, if I can keep D.H. from noticing. It would be great fun to paint it....And, heck yes, explosives are fun!

This message was edited Nov 24, 2009 12:36 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dave-who-is-Dave I spect the RM Forum is fraught with "hidden weirdness". Actually I haven't blown anything up in a few weeks. I am getting out of practice :O Although I did fall off my buddy ladder with a big crash this weekend trying to get the stupid window open in the cold room which I think has been childproofed or dahliaproofed or some other contortious proofed. Oh please DO paint the floor funnybird DO. A painted floor would look tres fabby!

Santa Fe, NM

It might or might not. I'll have to study up on it. Not sure what kind of paint, etc. It could be a summer job. Meanwhile, I cleaned it but it still doesn't look clean. It may be time for a visit to Home Despot or Other to see what is available. I've been looking on line but you really can't tell much about what the flooring is really like from that. If it were not a raised floor on plywood I would consider a dirt floor. No kidding! Put that clay to some good use.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I sprinkle dirt and sometimes add leafs to my kitchen floor in the time of the cold and the dark cuz clean floors make me anxious. It means there is not enough gardening going on :(

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

OH.
[Picante reframing her ideas about dirt on floors]

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

If you go with a dirt floor you would get higher ceilings at the same time roybird. You could grow herbs right in your kitchen.

I will pass on my take on the fake-wood, laminate flooring I've seen. It is desinged not to last long.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

When I had a two year old and was adopting a somewhat wild and woolly nine year old, I started threatening to build a shed with a dirt floor in which to feed them. Either of them was capable of stunning catastrophes, but the two of them was unbelievable.

I sometimes trail grass clippings into the kitchen when I have been out watering the hoop house in the winter. This does not cheer me, because there still is not enough gardening going on at that time.

DH had a painted floor on Lopez. I loved it.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

the wierdness here is not hidden. Not at all.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Who you callin weird greenjay?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

No one individual on this forum is being called weird - but I agree, there is a LOT of blatant weirdness here!

Santa Fe, NM

Really? I think we are so totally normal! In a good way. Mulch, tell more about the painted floor! D.H. seemed alarmed at the prospect. Dave, if I went for dirt the floor would be lower and I think we'd be stepping over pipes. Not so good. So, laminates aren't good either. Hmmm. Not enough $$$ for real wood. We would use it to heat the house. Bamboo horror stories abound in our dry climate. There are stories about paper bag laminates on various surfaces...D.H. would just Flip Out on that one! Could be good for laughs come February. Brick and tile, too heavy, major work. New linoleum? Rubber mats? Wouldn't it be cool to put, like, yoga mats all over? End to End. I could glue them to the linoleum. They come in a variety of colors.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yoga mats might be cool, but I'm not sure how easy they'd be to clean. I actually love the look of the paper bag floors (there is a good thread on that in the Trash to Treasure forum), but I fear my DH would flip out over that one, too. Though I keep thinking I might do it in our motorhome, because I want the carpet out of the living room really bad! (Traveling with 5 dogs in the motorhome makes carpet a really, really bad choice).

And, I must add, weird is not bad. My favorite tend to be people that are truly themselves and celebrate their "them-ness".

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Since our topic is the Rocky Mountains (including any place that may or may not have hills or slopes) and all of the things in, on, around, or generally of interest to those living in the rockys, I don't see how we can possibly stray from that topic.

I haven't been around much the past week because I have been alternately barfing and writhing around in pain. I finally got the kidney stone zapped today and I'm feeling much better. The anesthesia seems to have altered my coordination a bit, since I've had to fix every sentence a few times to get it right. The doctor gave me FlowMax to make the stone come out easier and it had the oddest side-effect: I have been ultra sensitive to sound. Even normal conversations sound like shouting and it makes me dizzy. I have been tempted to wear my workshop earmuffs all day and DH says he'll make me a tinfoil hat to go with them :)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Katlian, in case you are wondering, I am sure you are not weird. All sounds relatively normal to me...

But I hope you feel better soon. Please post a pic of you wearing the earmuffs and tinfoil hat. Perhaps Dahlia will loan you her waterwing for the photo.

DH insulated underneath a plywood floor (no basement) and painted the plywood in enamel in geometric, large geometric, patterns. I liked it a lot.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yowzer, Katlian! Earplugs, you need earplugs.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Katlian, that does not sound pleasant at all! I had kidney stones once, many years ago, and truly, it was worse than labor. Then the pain killer they gave me had to be taken with a suppository for the nausea the pain killer would cause... I didn't like that idea much, so I was a mess. And I had to work. (Single Mom and no sick days...). Too much information????

I hope all is well soon, I was going to say this too will pass (pun intended), but then re-read that you've had it zapped. I do hope you are feeling better very soon!

Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sorry about your kidney stone and yucky medication,Katlian. Glad it is more or less over. Hope the weird effects of the medication go away.
Brenda, isn't it amazing how the miserable things we have to deal with occur when we are already in at least up to our ears and treading water, if not over our heads? I gather you are no longer plagued with kidney stones. Did you have to change your diet to stop them? I have heard people with kidney stones shouldn't have cheese and or dairy products and should have lots of water. Is that what you did? Or did it just go away. All of this is by way of suggestions for Katlian. My father had severe kidney stones all his life. That is what they told him. I have so far escaped that problem.
Yes, roybird, I haven't posted much lately for a million reasons. One is that I have taken up swimming every day -- for exercise. I love it. And we recently worked on ordering furniture for DH's beloved new huge flat screen TV. It shouldn't be that hard but my DH has to be absolutely certain of every measurement of both the space and the various ( many) components of his highly complicated electronic system.
I had to tell him that he could not continue to use the coffee table as a TV stand forever and that he had to get the old TV which weighs a ton from out of the middle of the floor in the den.
After much dithering we finally got it ordered on line. Now I get to use the computer again.
The roof hasn't been much trouble at all. Absolutely none of the contractors I have called have done anything until yesterday when one finally agreed to come look at the job. Here I am grudgingly ready ( but not willing) to drop beaucoup bucks on the right contractor and they all seem to be uninterested and the weather is perfect for it! No snow since I don't know when. Finally two of them got it together to call me yesterday. So maybe I will get some bids -- I hope, I hope.
The other big things eating my time are acupuncture treatments, forcing Best Buy to install my satellite radio, and taking care of MIL who we had hoped to take out for Thanksgiving but who is now failing and may not be able to go even to her very favorite restaurant. We haven't been the greatest of friends, but I am very saddened by her condition.
I have been reading the forum but not having much time to post. Or much imagination.
On floors! I love the idea of a brown paper bag floor but have never seen one. Yes, that would disturb my DH as well. Dirt floors are an old New Mexico tradition and work amazingly well. They just treat the dirt with something -- animal milk and blood in the old days and it forms a hard durable surface. The only floor that really works for me is the hard fired Italian ceramic tile, but then you still have grout to clean. LInoleum actually is fine with me. They make some really nifty kinds these days. Wood -- well, it is very high maintenance and I am not fond of maintenance.
Painted floors are really beautiful if they are done right. I have a friend who has done that for people. She once painted Indian rugs on a floor for someone with a fancy rustic adobe on the eastside. She said it worked really well. If you are interested, I will tell you how to reach her by Dmail. I have seen a lot of nice painted floors, but you have to seal them pretty well and probably keep touching them up. You DH should be thrilled! I think it would be wonderful.
Will get back with you guys as time permits.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

PJ, I'm glad you're checking in, despite all the stuff going on. Am sending stress-reduction vibes your way. A little furniture rearrangement can go a long way.

I think most minds make parallel connections, while mine seems to make perpendicular ones.

Dahlia, you've been rather quiet. Ahem... are you working on another experiment? We know you're long since done with Thanksgiving...

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Paja, I do hope your roof repairs come along soon. And I agree with Picante, a little furniture rearrangement can do wonders. I personally have an issue with clutter (can't stand it, it stresses me out)... and I always feel better when things are put away and the house is clean. Speaking of which, I'm getting some pre-holidays cleaning taken care of today as the Christmas decorations come out on Friday!!

As for the kidney stones, thankfully (and knocking on wood), I have never had them again. Interestingly, though, I did give up dairy for several years as I became lactose intolerant. I can have it now, though. The most surprising thing was that when I went to the hospital writhing in pain, the admitting nurse guessed that it was kidney stones and mentioned that she had seen more kidney stone issues in Arizona than anywhere else she had worked, and she blamed it on the VERY hard water (read: calcium) in AZ.

Anywhooooo... I'm also starting the Thanksgiving feast prep today, so better get at it!

Santa Fe, NM

Katlian, I hope you feel better soon. Kidney stones are supposed to be The most painful thing, so I've heard. Getting it zapped seems like an excellent idea. As for my floor; I think painting patterns on it might be too much. D.H. says my way of decorating is to walk around the house removing things and muttering, "Calm Down." Paja, Kevin has also been struck by an urge for furniture! How bizarre. He wants a leather chair, but not a fat one. I went with him to look at chairs yesterday and even more bizarrely, we ended up liking the same one!! on sale at Cost Plus. So, I guess we'll get it. We saw at Steven's consignment furniture store the Best dining table and chairs Ever! Made of Hickory wood, backs curved branches, very delicate but solidly constructed by some religious sect, not the usual ones. I'm thinking maybe Mennonites. I had not seen hickory used in furniture before. It was way too folk art for us but if we lived in a cabin it would've been perfect. If we had the money we'd get the cabin for the dining furniture. See how one thing leads to another? Paja, I am sad for what you are going through with your M.I.L. I'm sure swimming helps. Perhaps you could take her some carry out from her favorite restaurant?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.