Autumn Diversions Continued

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much, Jude and all.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Sorry you lost your MIL, pajarito. Hope your DH is doing OK too.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

And on a different note, quote for the day:

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro!"

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wow. I could become a Pro Weird? How do I do that???? Sounds like a natural for me.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'll leave that to you, mulch. Its an inspirational thing.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I shall give it deep thought and see what inspirations arise.

You think you are exempt from wierdness, DWID???? Or do you just not want to go pro?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I want to go pro for sure! I'm hoping there are very funky weird uniforms. Twould be fitting being pros and all methinks.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I am not exempt from weirdness. I have my own brand!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Don't we all!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've always thought it weird that someone would want to wear a sequined thong. For starters, I would think some of the sequins would be rather uncomfortable ...

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I think there are some great weird uniform ideas on peopleofwalmart.com. Love it or hate it, there is some very interesting clothing on display.

And yes, it seems like thongs are uncomfortable enough without sequins...

Santa Fe, NM

I will have to go look. I need a fashion up date! But, no sequined thongs unless I'm paid well to wear 'em. Or, perhaps, paid not to wear 'em. Hmmm. A happy thought for the Holiday Season. As for weird. Mulch, you are an artist so you are already a Pro Weirdo! Congratulations!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Clearly you didn't click on the link. Snicker.

[Cross-posted with roybird]

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 8:53 AM

Santa Fe, NM

I googled on down! It was a right treat, it was. Called D.H. over. We are inspired now!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Ha Ha! you're right, I hadn't clicked on the link. I'm used to calling those flip-flops. I don't know many people who refer to them as thongs anymore.

In high school I was a theater geek (and a band geek too) and we did "A funny thing happened on the way to the forum" one year. All of the costumes were togas and sandals so for the guy who played the pimp we made gold sequined platform sandals and a hot pink toga with shiny gold fringe. He wanted to wear it to school but the principal wouldn't let him. After the last show we all wore our togas to the regular showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Santa Fe, NM

I was inspired by the peopleofwalmart. Now, further inspired by the sequined thongs or flip-flops. A Day of Fashion Inspiration! I'm going to visit my favorite thrift store and I am going to go downtown to Doodlets ( a very fun shop ) to look for glittery stickers. I need glittery stickers. I like the pimp toga idea. It would be perfect for shopping at Walmart, apparently.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Please post pictures of what you find at the thrift store, roybird.
If it weren't for thrift stores, I would have no dance clothes.

Katlian, you gave away my joke. Next, I was going to say something about the part that goes between your tootsies being sans sequins.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Sorry :(

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I still don't plan on wearing a pair.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Snorkle! I had a feeling that wasn't your particular brand of weirdness, DwiD. Although they would look decidedly weird with cycling garb. And this hat:
http://www.dance.net/topic/8568046/1/Disco-Slow-Dance/Olivia-Grech-s-Stunning-new-DANCEWEAR-DESIGN-Slow-costume.html&replies=23

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

And dangerous! Flip-flops (the proper term) and bicycles don't mix. Nice disco hat picante. Zero protection factor though.

Best costuming I've done in recentish history was for the opening of the 1st Harry Potter movie. I picked up some robes at the thrift store and brought them home. I got the kids all excited and we started making hats. When I handed "Mom" her robe and pointed to the hat making materials and the kids going to town on their hats, she was comitted even though she really didn't want to be. ;-} I had found a 15" tall stuffed Snowy Owl and wired that to my shoulder. Hats done, robes on (and owl), off we went to the movies. That was fun. I did have to remove the owl during the movie for the people behind us.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh, do you have pictures of that, Dave? It sounds fabulous.

When I was growing up in S. Calif., the term "flip-flops" did not exist. Everyone called them thongs. I noticed that "flip-flops" became the preferred term after thong underwear was invented. The name for the [lack of] underwear came from the footwear, which had that narrow bit held in place by the metatarsals, AKA tootsies.

I think the disco hat would increase your wind resistance on a bike. And I have personal experience of the disastrous consequences of riding a bike with thongs on my feet (at the time I was wearing them, they were still called thongs).

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 12:36 PM

Santa Fe, NM

That is a nice hat! Can you believe at one time I used to make " Headware " feathered hats? Small business in mid-80's. I also used bones and other found objects along with pretty ribbons and beads. I liked to think they had a sense of irony. Hard to say. Dave, what a nice way to dress for the Harry Potter movie. I know other people who did that. You are all Pro-Weird, I'm happy to say. Here is what I bought at the Thrift store. I am becoming way too practical, I'm afraid. It was marked $8 and was 50% off. Revere ware fryin' pan. It looked useful. I'm still in mental mole mode.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

We crossed posts, Picante. I'm a slow writer. Here is another shot of the pan!

Thumbnail by roybird
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Wow. Copper bottomed pan for $4.

Pictures of the HP costumes were taken, but they did not travel through life with me. Sigh. I don't know if they were burned or if my daughter has them in storage.

Santa Fe, NM

They sound to be worth keeping. You should ask your daughter, just in case.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Good score, roybird! I like the background, too. Do you have any pictures of your hats?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Nice find Roybird! One of my favorite pans is an old cast iron skillet from a thrift store in Alaska. I've carted it all over the place.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Very good score on the frying pan!

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks. D.H. was grumpy about the frying pan because "we already have some". Which is true. Maybe I'll give it to one of my young friends, home from college. I think you can carry a frying pan on a plane. That would be a handy thing to clobber someone with if not to cook in. No pictures of the old headware, I'm afraid. At least, not handy.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

DH was grumpy about that??? Oh good grief.

Maybe you should stop buying groceries "because we already have some." ;-) Not that I would ever cause trouble, mind you.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Personally, I don't think you can have too many good fry pans, especially when you get them at a great price. We had tenants here at the RV park that gave us 3 old rusty cast iron pans (small, medium, large). It took me a while, but I finally pulled them out and cleaned and seasoned them, and I love them. It does not matter that I have a cabinet full of other pans... these are cast iron babies!

Santa Fe, NM

He's grumpy about Everything because he's trying to finish all his school stuff. I'm trying to stay out of the way. He's working on a web site and a screen play. Fortunately, I won't be around much tomorrow. Out with friends and a 2 hr. class.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh, that is better, a temporary set of stresses and not about a frying pan at all.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Nope, just about having too much to do.

Santa Fe, NM

Zactly. But, not particularly charming.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Frequent grumpiness is not a desirable trait. I would put an upper limit on frying pans based on storage space. My storage space doesn't allow for 20 of them. I like cast-iron too and don't like to use anything else now. I don't want to use plastic coated pans ever again and don't own one (teflon isn't particularly healthy to eat). I have an aluminum bottomed, stainless pan but it is harder to clean and doesn't maintain as even a temperature.

Santa Fe, NM

We do have many frying pans including cast iron, stainless steel and more. We mostly use the cast iron ones. I was just attracted to this one which came from Clinton, Illinois. It was the last place Revere Ware was made in the U.S. I read the company history on Google! It has been made in, I think, Indonesia since the 90's. The company was started in 1801 and had a pretty good go of it then went down hill in the 80's.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I think we should change the name of this thread to "Winter Diversions" already! It's all of 10º here, has been snowing and is supposed to continue snowing and stay below 20º for days on end. Thanks El Niño.
I hear the mountains and four corners region is getting dumped on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.