Autumn Diversions Continued

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes. I had that issue once about alcohol! I am someone who never remembers to lie until it's too late. I was sending a home made flower essence to a friend and they asked me the questions and I said it was liquid and it was a gift and they asked me did it have alcohol in it like, say aftershave and I admitted that, yes, the essence was preserved in brandy, and they said sorry, no can do and I said

why.

and they said it could cause a fire on the plane!

and I said, but

people send this stuff in the mail ALL THE TIME when they are selling it! and they said

but they have a license.

and I said, how does a license protect from fire and even what about all the liquor served to passengers on flights, huh? How about that?

and they said

its tha law.

so I went to another post office and lied.

geeze what a waste of time and gasoline that was!

makes a kinda good story though. Moral: Know when to lie!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The law does not make logical sense, but it is absolute - at least some of the time. Alcohol and explosives (fireworks) are shipped all the time and in large quantities.

The most important things to do when shipping potentially hazardous items that you are going to lie to the carrier about, is to put your least favorite neighbor's return address on the package and pay with cash. That way if there is an accident ...

Santa Fe, NM

Good idea, Dave. Ack! The sound of a motivated Roybird. Nothing can stop me now! Except, I'm getting tired. Supposed to have friends coming by for tea this afternoon so I'll get a break then. I have mostly been moving things, like books, etc. and light weight furniture. I think we have all the paint together. D.H. has to unhook and move his electronics including the 'puter. He is, of course, at the community college tutoring video stuff. Kyla, I am also one who forgets to lie until it is too late! l.o.l. Recently, I have lied to my ancient in-laws, actually made D.H. lie to them. To tell them I have had all the flu shots so they won't freak out that I haven't. That's a white lie and easy to remember. I should've told them that to begin with but forgot and was honest and it was a mistake. If I get sick I'll just tell them the shots didn't work.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

laws and in-laws, both can be a pain, but where would we be without them after all?

hmm. maybe some questions should stay rhetorical? In the same way as some truths should not be told?

eek, deep waters here......

Quail are funny:

"Boy! This snow is good stuff!!!!!!"

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

"Yeah! Hey! Come on, y'all! There's more over here!"

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Sometimes telling your inlaws "yep, I did that" is much saner than getting to the point where you tell them to back off and leave the issue alone.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Cute little quail, kyla. Your new house not only has a great garden, it came with great birds. How delightful.

In laws -- there is a difficult subject. I was never much good with mothers in law but have an ex-sister-in-law who I decided was a keeper. We agreed that we did not get divorced. Only her brother and me.

I feel the same way about the laws against importing plants -- only people with licenses which means a business can import or export plants. That means not you and me, just large corporations with lawyers.

If I knew the airplane I was on was carrying fireworks with or without alcohol, I would stay home. Best that I don't know, I guess.

When I ship plants the PO always asks me if they are perishable. I always say yes. That doesn't seem to change anything about the shipping. However, check into the prices for registration of mail -- letters vs packages. Basically it is like $5 for a letter and about $.50 for a package. Solution. Put your income tax return in a box and you can send it registered for 50 cents. Don't know what the IRS would do with it, but you could prove they received it for less.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, they might have an explosives expert blow it up to be sure it was safe. I assume the explosives expert would not obtain his explosives through the mail.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Package shipping is not done using passenger planes. UPS and USPS and others have their own planes for the job.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

And a great announcement. The dismembered hot tub has been hauled away. DH finished sawing it up yesterday a.m. He ruefully conceded that it was extremely well made.

He planned to load it all into the pickup himself but once he had gone to the gallery and could not stop me, I started carting chunks upstairs and putting them into the pickup. The smaller parts got collected into a big garbage can I would slowly step up the stairs and dump in the pickup. Did that three times. Heavy stuff, like the pump, got their own individual carry by themselves. Sometimes I could get two or three of the bigger or heavier pieces at a time. I took fairly frequent breaks, sitting breathing hard for half an hour at a time.

But, none of that queasy yucky wiped out feeling. I simply felt like I done physical stuff. Today I am sore absolutely everywhere, but just sore, not wiped out! This is progress!!!

DH was astounded when he came home to find the pickup bed full of hot tub pieces. He took the big chunks out this a.m. which finished the job. This weekend, we put the sauna together and get it going!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh good. Now I only have to worry about what the passengers bring.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Congratulations, mulch, on losing the hot tub and your exhaustion. When you get that sauna set up, there will be no stopping you.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Actually, since the anthrax thing the commercial airlines refused to carry mail, so the post office contracted with the Fedex planes. They do it on a volume basis, which is what is wrong with our mail delivery here in Montana. If there is too much mail for the allotted space, it sits and waits for the next plane. Or the one after that. Our mail sits a lot, especially at Christmas time.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Groan. Our mail is pretty fast. I don't know why, though.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Paj, we cross posted. It will really be good if we get the sauna together before I figure out how to make myself too sore to drag myself downstairs to use it! I am really inspired to try to get myself back in shape, and I have a long long way to go. I am rarin' to go!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

That is good news mulch - about the hot tub and moreso about your body responding like it should. You seem to feel quite good about that.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hooray for you , Mulch! That definitely sounds like very good healing progress. Now be careful and don't overdo it too much right away, though I know you'll be tempted because it feels good to feel good, and like you are able to move and do. I'm very happy for you!

Roybird, I am notorious for doing things like that... I must have this room painted before "so and so" arrives. It is indeed excellent motivation!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Go Mulch!

We're over 200 posts (again) so here's comes the new thread.
Go here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1062323/
"Diversions in the Season of Denial"

Thumbnail by DenverJude

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.